Yaesu Or Icom Mobile Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking for a really good short wave radio & have narrowed it down to the Yaesu FTM-400XDR or the Icom ID-5100

Want to hang with the Colorado Raptor clan as well as possibly going to Baja and a road trip thru Canada to Alaska & want to get a good radio not only so the Raptors can laugh at me but as a means of communication when out in the backwoods

What does the hive mind think about radios???

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score

OP
OP
J

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I saw that, they do not have one of the listed radios

LVJ Motorsports recommended the Icom but will order the Yaesu & mod/program it

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
P.C.I or die.
seriously though, I would call P.C.I and tell them what you want/need.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I saw that, they do not have one of the listed radios

LVJ Motorsports recommended the Icom but will order the Yaesu & mod/program it

PCI is an industry standard for Raptors and have serval different brands and power to fit your needs. I have the remote head and my Raptor, but bought my daughter a hand held. Because like is $hit.

OP
OP
J

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCI is an industry standard for Raptors and have serval different brands and power to fit your needs. I have the remote head and my Raptor, but bought my daughter a hand held. Because like is $hit.

Sent them a message, LVJ Motorsports is highly recommended by other Raptor guys

Denyen

Reaction score
I have the Yaesu FTM-400XDR installed and love it. Since I don't use the regular radio, I swapped out the antenna for the Yaesu radio antenna. Don't even know I have a shortwave radio installed. A cleaner install and helps prevent people thinking they need the radio more than I do from borrowing it.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say neither, if you have to have a dual band, Motorola APX8500, or the now discontinued APX7500, but those pop up on ebay, spendy, but commercial equipment and meets Mil-Spec if your off roading. Plus, it's different than everyone else's, be a trendsetter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts