GEN 1 Yaesu-Kenwood-Icom Ham radios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
At the risk of this becoming a comparison analogous to a Toyota-Chevy-Ford argument, except that I think all the radios (transceivers) are made in Japan? Anyway, as I mentioned before, new and just getting into the action...BTW, just got my new ARRL Lic manual in the mail tonight!

I will mostly be traveling up and down the East coast, maybe someday do Baja and some real desert trips out West (working on all that mods etc.,)...so until then, looking at what is out there to get started, for now preferably used but may go new? And may consider chatting with the unit as a base station at home occasionally. Also, looked at the various installs on the forum. I also prefer a solid clean install/semi permanent to help deter break-in /theft(hahaha).

Not knowledgable enough to ask a more precise question as to dual bands, scan and quad band models so I added this as I see the various models/options available. Any tips, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance...

Last edited:

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with Rugged Radios, Arroyo Grande, CA.
They sell a great 60 watt race radio that does VHF - which many Ham repeaters use as well.
Great people to work with, I didn't want to be just shackled with just UHF.

KK6YFG