YAAY Me! Decided to Join the Cam Phaser Rattle Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tech has good observations but the logic is not all correct. Yes, the cylinder heads were changed slightly mid 2020 model year. However, lack of oil pressure/volume at the heads would cause the phasers to operate erratically long before any journal wear issues would occur, and that is not the case. The issue is excessive locking pin wear, which is unrelated. Also, despite appearance, the 2.7 and 3.5 do not use the same phasers.

Cam journals scoring is caused by lack of maintenance, poor quality oil or filters, or low oil level. As we know, there were oil consumption issues on some 2017-2019 engines for which a TSB was released to replace the valve covers. Low oil level results in loss of lubrication to the top end of the engine. This is why the TSB mentions DTCs P0365 and P0369, which set when erratic camshaft position is detected. In this case, the erratic operation is due to lack of oil to the VCT system. If the VCTs are starved for oil, so are the cam journals. This is why some vehicles experienced a shudder after the software update; oil was bleeding off due to the scored journals, causing VCT control issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit of an update. Dropped my truck off on August 31st since we were heading out of town so they could flash with the new program that addresses the phaser rattle. Went to pick it up today and they said it definitely needs phasers and put me in a loaner. Truck hasn't even been tore apart yet after having it for close to 2 weeks. They didn't elaborate on what the hold up was, parts/manpower. The service advisor handling it was out today.

Raptized19

Reaction score
Oh Im so excited to be part of this club...I took my 2019 in for the cam phaser rattle and recall. Of course the rattle did not go away with the reprogram. Now I need to reach out and give ford the good news. Thanks for all the info.

Raptized19

Reaction score
So I went out checked and my build date was June 19. I do my oil changes at 5k thru ford using their full synthetic for what its worth, and Im cursed with the cam phaser issues.