X-Jack Exhaust Jack by Bushranger (Sold by ARB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
exhaustJackMain.jpg

Crawling around under your vehicle to safely position your conventional jack can now be a thing of the past. With an ARB X-Jack, simply place the unit on the ground beneath the side of the vehicle to be raised and connect the hose to your tailpipe. When the engine is started, the jack inflates. With a lifting capacity of 8800 pounds, an exhaust jack is the fastest way to lift your vehicle up to 30 inches.

Bushranger product engineers recognized that conventional jacks were not suitable to all types of terrain. In unstable areas of mud, sand and snow, the exhaust jack offers a wider footprint to avoid sinking and uses specially designed, triangular shaped feet to keep the unit firmly grounded. For ease and greater stability, this unit is designed to be safely placed under the side of the body rather than positioned under an axle like a traditional jack.

A solid hard plate integrated in to the top of the X-Jack along with additional side curtains offer maximum protection against punctures. The X-Jack also offers a secondary inflation point for a 12 volt compressor and for maximum speed, the compressor and the exhaust hose can be connected at the same time!

Sold complete in a heavy duty storage bag with a puncture repair kit, a ground mat, the exhaust connection kit and a pair of gloves, the ARB X-jack kit is small enough to be easily stowed in your vehicle.

When in sand, snow or mud an ARB X-Jack is the fastest way to get your vehicle lifted.

Complete kit comes with inflatable jack with heavy duty storage bag, puncture repair kit, ground mat, exhaust connection kit and pair of gloves.

Bushranger is a division of Kingsley Enterprises a leading Australian manufacturer of automotive and four wheel drive accessories for more than a quarter century.

BUSHRANGER LAUNCHES A BETTER AND SAFER EXHAUST JACK
February 28 2005

Innovative Australian off road accessory company Bushranger has designed and launched a new generation of exhaust jacks making one of the most practical and useful off road tools even better.

Bushranger’s new X Jack features a triple layer lifting surface and a hard core insert to ensure better durability and greater stability for raising vehicles on unstable surfaces such as sand, mud and loose gravel.

The new X-Jack is a 21st century take on a concept pioneered in Australia in the 1970s but using the latest materials and technology.

Additional safety features include an easy to use inflation and deflation system that allows the user to remain at a safe distance while the vehicle is being raised or lowered.

X-Jack is the first air jack to feature two way inflation utilizing either the vehicle’s exhaust or a portable 12 Volt compressor such as Bushranger’s Max Air or ProAir.

According to Bushranger national sales manager Evan Black the company analyzed every aspect of previous units and set about designing and developing a safer, more durable and easier to use exhaust jack.

“Off roaders, farmers and bushies have to use exhaust jacks to help lift vehicles in bogs, sand or mud often at the least convenient times when safety and stability are vital,” said Mr Black.

“Our engineers have incorporated design features such as additional side curtains to assist in puncture prevention, a triple layer reinforced top for more stable lifting and unique triangular feet on the bottom for better grip,” he added.

“We also realized that sometimes it is not possible to inflate the jack using the vehicle exhaust as it is not always convenient or safe, so the X-Jack was also designed to be used with a 12 volt compressor.

“This innovation has taken the evolution of air jacks to a new level and it is an example of why Bushranger has maintained its status as an industry leader for so long,” he said.

X-Jack features a 750mm lift and is rated at four tonnes GVM.

The new X-Jack comes in a heavy duty storage bag and includes a protective mat, a puncture repair kit, two filler tubes, a pair of leather gloves and laminated operating instructions.

Available through all leading automotive accessory and four wheel drive equipment shops the Bushranger X-Jack is covered by a full one year no fuss warranty.

Bushranger is a division of Kingsley Enterprises a leading Australian manufacturer of automotive and four wheel drive accessories for more than a quarter century.

“We applied some logic and lateral thinking to a great idea and came up with an even better one that will make it easier for people to lift vehicles when they need,” said Mr Black.

Source: http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/Bushranger-X-jack.htm

Note: I originally posted this over there but somehow it was deleted.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The jack is inflated via a hose that connects to the vehicle's tailpipe. As soon as the vehicle's engine is started, the jack will start to inflate.

When developing this product, the design engineers recognized that conventional jacks were not suited to all types of terrain. In unstable areas of mud, sand and snow, the X-Jack offers a wider footprint to avoid sinking, and uses specially designed, triangular shaped feet to keep the unit firmly grounded. For ease and greater stability, the X-Jack is designed to be safely placed under the side of the body rather than positioned under an axle like a traditional jack.

With a triple layer top and hard core insert for added protection and stability, this jack incorporates a unique two way inflation system. This means that either the exhaust or a portable air compressor can be used, providing added control in determining the rate and extent of lift. Collapsing flat for convenient storage, the X-Jack is ideal for all off road trips.

Particularly well suited to use in sand, mud and snow, and with a lifting capacity of 8800lb, the exhaust operated X-Jack is an invaluable recovery tool, providing up to 31" of vehicle lift.

This information is from ARB USA website: http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Exhaust-Jacks/46.aspx

Bushranger-X-jack-c.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spent some time under my truck today trying to figure ways of using a hi-lift. I also had this x-jack in the back of my mind as I was crawling around.

I think this is a good solution for the most part. My only concern would be how far back the frame is from the sheet metal; there's a good foot or more of truck between the sheet metal and the frame. My concern with that is that there would seem to be a LOT of weight on the outside of the bag, and the angles would be such that it would need to work a LOT harder to lift the truck, and with less distance available to do it.

Now having said that, I don't think any of it matters. Not with the 8.8k lift potential of the bag, it doesn't. But still, there's going to be a lot of forces at play, high up, on what amounts to an essentially round surface. I'm far less comfortable with this concept for the Raptor now, after having thought about it and crawled around underneath, than I was before just looking at the pics and documentation.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get your concerns with the X-Jack at all. That bag is designed to lift the truck under the frame no matter where it's located. Maybe you can 'splain it to me (Lucy) :)

One thing I'm sure of - it's WAAAY better of a solution for lifting the Raptor than a Hi-Lift Jack.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get your concerns with the X-Jack at all. That bag is designed to lift the truck under the frame no matter where it's located. Maybe you can 'splain it to me (Lucy) :)
The further in you move your lift point (toward the center of the truck), the more weight is over the outer edge. One of the saftey concerns I've seen repeated about the bag is the rollover factor; if the bag is not on a flat level surface (like sand, or hard pack), it tends to want to roll, much like a beach ball. Combine those two factors and you've got yourself a fairly unstable lift.

Like I said, probably not a huge concern. Just something that made me raise an eyebrow when thinking on it.

One thing I'm sure of - it's WAAAY better of a solution for lifting the Raptor than a Hi-Lift Jack.
I dunno if I'd go that far Dannyboy. Might as well say a four post is a way better solution :p. The more I learn, the more I'm seeing they're really two different tools, designed to handle two different jobs.

For example, the bag excels in the sand and snow. The hi-lift excels on the rocks. The bag is a single use tool. The hi-lift has several purposes. The bag's instructions clearly advise to not use it to change a tire. The Hi-Lift advises how to do it safely. The bag is easy because it uses exhaust from a running motor to do all the work. The Hi-Lift will function when you can't run your engine (lots of times you're lifting because you've broken something preventing you from running your engine.) Etc etc...

Two different animals, really. The most common advise I'm reading is to carry both. And if finances can't allow both, start with the Hi-Lift and add the bag as you can.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I could afford both I would get both... if they cost the same I would honestly probably get an x-jack... in the real world I have a Hi-lift waiting for my buddy to prototype a one off, more stable version of the ORB, and a welding shop waiting for me to bring by my truck to prototype some field expedient lifting points...

I think I will also get a foot or so long tow strap made, because I think in a pinch I can use that.

Roll over should not be an issue with the x-jack if used properly... it will only happen if you keep inflating the jack once you are past where you should have stopped... to get it to happen yo need your CG to move past your fulcrum and that is a long way on a truck as wide as a raptor.

As to changing a tire... I would not recommend changing a tire on any uneven terrain with any lack without using a supplemental support like a jackstand... if you are doing that the safety factor is a wash.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Review on the X-jack here: http://tinyurl.com/ykft3t6

Some figgurs:

Hi-Lift: $70-$100
Isolator: $11
Mounts: $75-$105
Slider Adapter: $50-$60
Lift Mate: $35

For a total of: $241 - $311 (or more...I think you can really go overboard)

vs the ARB X-Jack for $199-$215, stowed in cargo area.

Good Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-dB6gc0Q7A

If ya click on the vid it will take you to youtube where there are a lot of other vids.

My money is still on the X-Jack.

Falcon

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My money is still on the X-Jack.

Falcon

Thanks for posting the video and the pricing info.

I'm with you on the X-Jack. I can imagine trying to get that vehicle unstuck in the sand using a Hi-Lift. Let's just say that video shows how good a tool that airbag is.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBQ8q2mxuY&feature=related

I should have posted this vid instead... it shows the use of the BushRanger "Sand Tracks" in conjuction with the X-Jack. The times I would have given my eye teeth for a set of those.

Raise your hand if you've been here, done this:

Preamble: Get out of the truck. Look at your tires. Cuss.

1. Jack up the vehicle, one corner at a time with a click jack. Flirt with death.

2. Scrounge around and find some timber, as long as you can find.

3. Cram the logs under the truck tires, after lifting each corner and filling in the holes. Flirt with death and/or dismemberment.

4. Start er up and move forward until either:

- a. You break the tips off the logs because the only ones that would fit underneath your high-centered frame were too thin. Notice the tips of the sticks/logs now behind the truck where the tires spit them out. Cuss.

- b. You get half way down your little log road, and hear a resounding "CRACK". Get out and notice the logs have broken in half because they were too thin (refer to step 4.a). Cuss.

Comment to your friends, now laughing and gathered around with lawn chairs and beers for this fine spectator sport - about the physics of the two ends of your logs now jammed at a 45 degree angle between frame and ground (alternate scenario... try to make a manly statement to the fox you were taking to watch the submarine races now sitting impatiently on a rock). Cuss. Remark about your friend's ancestry.

5. Start over at step 1.

Repeat until one of the following occurs:

- a. Your buddies run out of beer and leave (go with them... you are done here).

- b. Your girl remarks something about not wanting to risk having to carry your child anyway and storms off to walk to town. You go with her, of course. Long walk, conversation sucks. You are done here as well.

- c. You actually get unstuck (not highly probable).

- d. Magic Mountain Dan pulls up with a cooler full of brew, an x-jack and a set of sand tracks. Sit on a rock and drink a beer whilst MMD gets you unstuck without breaking a sweat. Thank God that you are a member of SVT offroad and have buddies like Dan.

- e. Wonder why your girl is leaving with Dan... then realize that you didn't want her carrying your baby anyway <G>. Wave at Dan as he rides off into the sunset in his Black Rap.

<G>

Falcon

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to eventually build up to a setup like that... but I think the maxtrax are a more versatile tool than the sand track