WWFRFD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CW McCall

Reaction score
What Would Ford Raptor Forum Do?

I already know a lot of people are going to say, "do what makes sense to you, man!" but I am looking for some differing viewpoints. Here's the scenario: I have a 2023 35 AMB on order spec'd out exactly how I want it - blue interior, moon/tailgate, 2kw pro power, no graphics, MSRP etc. Gonna look really slick parked at Sheetz in the morning for my coffee (no Starbucks for me!). Anyway, order is in and confirmed but it's going to be a while.

Another dealer I had talked to was pushing hard on a 22 35 CO with everything I want except the blue interior. CO isn't my top choice, but it's a really sick color and I like it a lot. Their 22 is scheduled to be built on 9/26 with delivery who-knows-when. They had been intending to add a markup although they were never clear about exactly how much. Given that they keep texting me about it, I'm thinking they don't have anyone else lined up to buy it.

My current ride is a 15 Nissan Mallfinder that I absolutely hate and can't wait to ditch. It's very high mileage due to a previous job that required a lot of driving but is in otherwise (knock on wood) great mechanical shape. Do I get the 22 CO and use that as my daily and if/when the 23 AMB comes in, either try to trade it in or try to private sale the CO and take the AMB? I put $1000 as a deposit for the AMB but it's refundable. Seems risky if the market cools or we hit a recession or the chip shortage gets sorted out (possible? yes. probable? up for debate.). I know Raptors hold their value extremely well, but seems like there's a chance I could end up taking a bath if I get impatient and buy the 22 CO. Yes, I fully understand that this is a depreciating asset. I probably won't take the CO if there's any sort of markup - given that they keep texting me, as I said before, I feel like they have no other current leads.

Anyway - I've rambled on long enough. I am just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I'd wait for what you want. It's not like the '22 is even built yet. Or will be built. I understand wanting to get out of the Nissan, but it doesn't sound like either way you are going to be in a Raptor within the next few months.

Yeti360

Reaction score
No way would I deal with a dealer who wont tell you what the ADM is. Is the one you are ordering at MSRP? If so I would wait and am waiting for mine but if you going to buy now and pay ADM I would just go on car gurus and find one with the options you want.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
...Mercifully snipped tale of First World Problems

Do I get the 22 CO and use that as my daily and if/when the 23 AMB comes in, either try to trade it in or try to private sale the CO and take the AMB?
When it comes to Raptors, you either have one, or you don’t.
I probably won't take the CO if there's any sort of markup - given that they keep texting me, as I said before, I feel like they have no other current leads.
Code Orange is eerily similar to this creepy clown’s hair, that I ran across when I was a kid. So I won’t be jostling with you for it, but if I was inclined to go for a Rap in the current economic climate, I’d be on that ’22 like Marcellus Wallace trying to hunt down Butch after he totally screwed up throwing the fight.

With the guy texting you all the time, I’m guessing CO is like the ginger of trucks? IDK...

get out of that peasant mallfinder - that’s a good one, btw. Look, you have nothing to lose negotiating on the sooner to be built truck. Tell that text happy sales-bot to put up or shut up - Out the door for the MSRP quoted price. Gets you in a Rap, stealership no longer has to worry about offloading the ginger truck.

NMFB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in almost the exact same situation (minus the mallfinder).

I have a 23 retail order in and just a confirmation email from Ford (no vin or build date yet). But after hearing all these horror stories about orders going a year out before getting picked up, if at all, should I go ahead a grab a 22 dealer ordered truck off the lot and keep it until mine comes in (if ever).

Side note: The only way I’d consider an off the lot truck was if it was for msrp, which is unlikely. But in all honesty I’d probably pay up to 5k over.

Curious to hear others input and experiences.

Raptorny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Mercifully snipped tale of First World Problems

When it comes to Raptors, you either have one, or you don’t.

Code Orange is eerily similar to this creepy clown’s hair, that I ran across when I was a kid. So I won’t be jostling with you for it, but if I was inclined to go for a Rap in the current economic climate, I’d be on that ’22 like Marcellus Wallace trying to hunt down Butch after he totally screwed up throwing the fight.

With the guy texting you all the time, I’m guessing CO is like the ginger of trucks? IDK...

get out of that peasant mallfinder - that’s a good one, btw. Look, you have nothing to lose negotiating on the sooner to be built truck. Tell that text happy sales-bot to put up or shut up - Out the door for the MSRP quoted price. Gets you in a Rap, stealership no longer has to worry about offloading the ginger truck.
i would agree with this

OP
OP
CW McCall

CW McCall

Reaction score
Quick update - dealer just texted me back saying they want "at least" $3k ADM but have offers from "out of state dealers" for $10k over. I told him I'm content to wait. I didn't want to pay over msrp for the Raptor I ordered - definitely do not want to pay over for one that isn't exactly as specified. I'll slum it with the mallfinder for a little while longer and be one of the have-nots. If they had agreed to no ADM, I'd likely be on my way to the dealer now. Oh well!

I am not so certain that they have those out of state offers and he also told me that they have 4 orders in for 2 2023 allocations so sucks to be somebody out there with an order in with this dealer.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Quick update - dealer just texted me back saying they want "at least" $3k ADM but have offers from "out of state dealers" for $10k over. I told him I'm content to wait. I didn't want to pay over msrp for the Raptor I ordered - definitely do not want to pay over for one that isn't exactly as specified. I'll slum it with the mallfinder for a little while longer and be one of the have-nots. If they had agreed to no ADM, I'd likely be on my way to the dealer now. Oh well!

I am not so certain that they have those out of state offers and he also told me that they have 4 orders in for 2 2023 allocations so sucks to be somebody out there with an order in with this dealer.

That dealer is lying to you. Why pass up 10K right now to try and get 3K from you? Sounds like you have a decent chance at MSRP if you push hard enough.

Fat_Kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll slum it with the mallfinder for a little while longer and be one of the have-nots.
I feel you, man. I was in a Civic while I waited on mine, which made the negotiations interesting to say the least. I eventually just stopped telling them I had a trade altogether. lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
dealer just texted me back saying they want "at least" $3k ADM but have offers from "out of state dealers" for $10k over.
I told him I'm content to wait. I didn't want to pay over msrp for the Raptor I ordered - definitely do not want to pay over for one that isn't exactly as specified.
I would like to think I’d have handled it a bit more aggressively in your shoes. I had to run this gauntlet in late ’16, so towards the end of my search I was like “look, I’m buying a Raptor at MSRP, it can either be from you or someone else.” so, my response to “they have offers from out of state dealers” would have been along the lines of “if you have legit offers on the table for 10k over you should definitely jump on that bandwagon, but if you did the truck would already be gone, because as we know, Ford is paying attention to trucks being brokered for over MSRP. So I’ll pay you ( advertised from FORD MSRP ) out the door for the truck. Can put serious deposit down today.

these sales guys are like politicians, good at selling a line, and making you believe things.
I'll slum it with the mallfinder for a little while longer and be one of the have-nots
200.gif