WTB Gen 1 Terrain Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

I owned a Ruby and a Terrain Gen 1. The Ruby definitely pops in the sun, but the Terrain is/was the best color on the Gen 1. The Northwest of the lower 48 and western Canada killed my Terrain with rust, so I traded it in for the Ruby. Lol I miss them both :cool: It amazes me how well the Gen 1s have held their value.

I’ll never forget the day I got to bring her home. Made sure the dealership didn’t do anything outside of the pre-delivery inspection :D Good luck on your search!

9FD67631-88AA-41B0-A041-0EA276DD632A.jpeg

1A5E049C-73D5-43EA-BB07-F70E067EA569.jpeg

114EDAF3-9044-4A94-84B9-88C245A270E0.jpeg

OP
OP
FNG in FL duhhh

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a Ruby and a Terrain Gen 1. The Ruby definitely pops in the sun, but the Terrain is/was the best color on the Gen 1. The Northwest of the lower 48 and western Canada killed my Terrain with rust, so I traded it in for the Ruby. Lol I miss them both :cool: It amazes me how well the Gen 1s have held their value.

I’ll never forget the day I got to bring her home. Made sure the dealership didn’t do anything outside of the pre-delivery inspection :D Good luck on your search!

View attachment 161956

View attachment 161957

View attachment 161958

Wow that’s pretty cool you got to experience both. Yes sir What a beautiful truck I must say. I’ve seen a few examples but when I ask for pictures of the undercarriage I just see rust. There is actually a clean one owner 40k mile one in damn Hawaii for $47k. The undercarriage had so much rust it was unbelievable and sad to see. I guess the ocean salt is just as bad as the states that use a lot salt on the roadways for snow.

I should probably hold off then and get exactly what I want then huh, as I definitely plan to keep this next one forever.

The ruby I found has 55k miles and is going for $40k private. I sold my terrain with 64k miles for $39k a year and a half ago seems like a good deal considering the value of gen 1s. Two owners but current owner bought it with 900 miles. Slight damage to front bumper only and inside of tailgate has a small dent on the inside not visible from the exterior of the truck but neither from car accidents. Everything else is clean and immaculate. Inside 10/10, exterior from pics seems 9/10. Seems to be well taken care of with regular maintenance done. Carfax and Oasis reports are clean. No rust at all and undercarriage does not look like it spent hardly anytime off-road at all. It is a few states over from me so I’ll have to fly and drive. Supposed to fly up this Friday and have an inspection to include compression check scheduled. Then I see a terrain scab with double the miles for $33k and now I’m running around seeing if I can comfortably squeeze car seats into a scab vs screw. Decisions decisions.

Ps that pic was from my first 13’ raptor I should have kept. Bought with 26k miles for $45k one owner all stock. I just put 5% ceramic tint, replaced the sunroof switch, new battery, method NVs and new Ko2s on her. I had a lot more plans but life happens. Super clean pavement princess with all the intentions of going off-road.

9047F913-1C9D-4882-8624-2F6182A6D91C.jpeg

D

Deleted member 17706

Wow that’s pretty cool you got to experience both. Yes sir What a beautiful truck I must say. I’ve seen a few examples but when I ask for pictures of the undercarriage I just see rust. There is actually a clean one owner 40k mile one in damn Hawaii for $47k. The undercarriage had so much rust it was unbelievable and sad to see. I guess the ocean salt is just as bad as the states that use a lot salt on the roadways for snow.

I should probably hold off then and get exactly what I want then huh, as I definitely plan to keep this next one forever.

The ruby I found has 55k miles and is going for $40k private. I sold my terrain with 64k miles for $39k a year and a half ago seems like a good deal considering the value of gen 1s. Two owners but current owner bought it with 900 miles. Slight damage to front bumper only and inside of tailgate has a small dent on the inside not visible from the exterior of the truck but neither from car accidents. Everything else is clean and immaculate. Inside 10/10, exterior from pics seems 9/10. Seems to be well taken care of with regular maintenance done. Carfax and Oasis reports are clean. No rust at all and undercarriage does not look like it spent hardly anytime off-road at all. It is a few states over from me so I’ll have to fly and drive. Supposed to fly up this Friday and have an inspection to include compression check scheduled. Then I see a terrain scab with double the miles for $33k and now I’m running around seeing if I can comfortably squeeze car seats into a scab vs screw. Decisions decisions.

Ps that pic was from my first 13’ raptor I should have kept. Bought with 26k miles for $45k one owner all stock. I just put 5% ceramic tint, replaced the sunroof switch, new battery, method NVs and new Ko2s on her. I had a lot more plans but life happens. Super clean pavement princess with all the intentions of going off-road.

View attachment 161965

Your spot on about rust. If you buy any Raptor with rust and bring it to Florida, the humidity and ocean air is only going to exasperate the issue. I sold my Ruby last year as a one-owner with 90k miles. The truck was predominantly used in Texas, but I took several trips to the Northwest, Canada, and Alaska. Lol every bolt/nut in my engine bay had rust/corrosion on it. When I moved to Florida, those issues only got worse with the humidity and ocean air. As a result, I decided to get rid of it. I check websites regularly looking for a low mileage Gen 1, but the prices are so high (typically around $50k plus) that it’s a tough pill to swallow to spend that kind of money on a 7-8 year old vehicle when I can have a new Gen 2 with a full warranty.

If you can get that Ruby for $40k, then that’s a great buy. That’s what most 2014 sell for with 80-90k miles. I would pass on the SCAB given that you have kids. The way the rear doors open on a SCAB are a real pain. And as your kids get older, you’ll wish you had more room if you plan on keeping the truck. If the Ruby doesn’t work out, then be patient and something will come along. But yes, as others have mentioned, you should have never sold your Terrain :)

OP
OP
FNG in FL duhhh

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s really interesting that the rust took over the truck especially being primarily in Texas. Did you spray it down or hose it down whenever you got back from a trip where they use salt on the roads or just didn’t matter at that point? Exactly Gen one is like a keepsake and the prices reflect Lol. What did you not like about the gen 2?

That’s what I’ve seen too close to
$45-50k with under 60,000 miles plus if it’s from a dealer the hidden fees then tax tag and title. It’s funny you mention the scab back doors. I went today to look at one to see if it would work and even put my car seat in it and it was tight so unfortunately you’re correct on that one. It definitely won’t work plus it makes more sense once they’re older being able to open the door themselves instead of having to get out every single time to let them out. i’m definitely keeping the next one no matter what . I appreciate the advice. I know she was a beauty. I’m trying to be patient. Lol

Other than a quick glimpse I got of the one that passed by me the other day at work I haven’t seen a ruby red one in person or up close. so if anybody in the community on here is reading this and local to Orlando area and can help me out willing to let me check out A ruby red raptor in person before I go to Texas that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

;)
It’s really interesting that the rust took over the truck especially being primarily in Texas. Did you spray it down or hose it down whenever you got back from a trip where they use salt on the roads or just didn’t matter at that point? Exactly Gen one is like a keepsake and the prices reflect Lol. What did you not like about the gen 2?

That’s what I’ve seen too close to
$45-50k with under 60,000 miles plus if it’s from a dealer the hidden fees then tax tag and title. It’s funny you mention the scab back doors. I went today to look at one to see if it would work and even put my car seat in it and it was tight so unfortunately you’re correct on that one. It definitely won’t work plus it makes more sense once they’re older being able to open the door themselves instead of having to get out every single time to let them out. i’m definitely keeping the next one no matter what . I appreciate the advice. I know she was a beauty. I’m trying to be patient. Lol

Other than a quick glimpse I got of the one that passed by me the other day at work I haven’t seen a ruby red one in person or up close. so if anybody in the community on here is reading this and local to Orlando area and can help me out willing to let me check out A ruby red raptor in person before I go to Texas that would be very much appreciated.

The frame of the Ruby was in good shape. Anytime I saw snow, I put on my ski bib and went to the local car wash bay and blasted everything off with a pressure washer regardless of the cold temps :eek:Moreover, I use the AMSOIL HDMP, which works great, but you can’t spray it in the engine bay because it is flammable. A couple Raptor owners had rusted rocker panels on their Gen 1s even though their trucks never left Texas. I have never been one to hose down the engine bay and clean it, so I assume various road chemicals got in there as I was chasing snow and wrecked havoc on all my nuts/bolts. Nothing wrong with my Gen 2, just looking for a low mileage Gen 1 to add to the stable if the right truck presents itself.

Yea, the owner must need to get rid of it if you can buy it for that price. It’s also low enough mileage where you can change the tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc. without the fluids having too many miles and causing wear to your mechanical parts. If you regularly service the Gen 1, they are near bullet proof.

Our business had SCAB style F150s and normally someone would always shut the front door before the rear door was closed. Lol when you add kids to the mix, it can become a real headache. The extra 10 gallons of fuel on the SCREW is nice to have too.

I tried to get you some different pics of the Ruby in different lighting. The red brick interior is a nice touch compared to the standard black Raptor interior :)

FF70B986-01FD-4106-8D62-7EF4F796A593.jpeg

CBF4917F-DADB-4B31-AFDF-1B92C05B14E3.jpeg

0F03AA5A-2DCE-48D5-AB0B-AB67881D5A82.jpeg

BEFEB984-1D08-4E20-9DEF-DD26353FDF08.jpeg

E23004FF-CE1A-426B-9A88-06E3547E7627.jpeg

OP
OP
FNG in FL duhhh

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;)

The frame of the Ruby was in good shape. Anytime I saw snow, I put on my ski bib and went to the local car wash bay and blasted everything off with a pressure washer regardless of the cold temps :eek:Moreover, I use the AMSOIL HDMP, which works great, but you can’t spray it in the engine bay because it is flammable. A couple Raptor owners had rusted rocker panels on their Gen 1s even though their trucks never left Texas. I have never been one to hose down the engine bay and clean it, so I assume various road chemicals got in there as I was chasing snow and wrecked havoc on all my nuts/bolts. Nothing wrong with my Gen 2, just looking for a low mileage Gen 1 to add to the stable if the right truck presents itself.

Yea, the owner must need to get rid of it if you can buy it for that price. It’s also low enough mileage where you can change the tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc. without the fluids having too many miles and causing wear to your mechanical parts. If you regularly service the Gen 1, they are near bullet proof.

Our business had SCAB style F150s and normally someone would always shut the front door before the rear door was closed. Lol when you add kids to the mix, it can become a real headache. The extra 10 gallons of fuel on the SCREW is nice to have too.

I tried to get you some different pics of the Ruby in different lighting. The red brick interior is a nice touch compared to the standard black Raptor interior :)

View attachment 162033

View attachment 162034

View attachment 162035

View attachment 162036

View attachment 162037

Wow that’s good to know. I wonder if I should worry about HDMP on a FL truck whichever I get. I guess it can’t hurt huh.

Yea the Gen 2 looks mean. So no issues with the 3.5 ? I’ve read horror stories. What color did you go with? I really like the lead foot and avalanche colors

exactly I definitely would change all the fluids that way I know what’s in it and when it was done. I keep seeing people say they don’t change their tranny fluid if it’s not giving them a problem because changing the fluid might create problems? Any insight in this thought process?

lol that’s funny about closing the wrong doors on the scab. I could definitely see that happening with kids. Great call and very true on the 36 gallon tank vs the 26. Less pump stops.

Beautiful truck, I’m pretty sure I’m sold. It looks so different in different lighting. I appreciate the information and pictures it has helped sir. I’m guessing that was yours before you sold it. I think I’d prefer the all black interior but if all works out it will be a nice change lol. The red interior looks darker in the picture I wonder if it’s comparable to bmw’s “fox red” because that is really nice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Wow that’s good to know. I wonder if I should worry about HDMP on a FL truck whichever I get. I guess it can’t hurt huh.

Yea the Gen 2 looks mean. So no issues with the 3.5 ? I’ve read horror stories. What color did you go with? I really like the lead foot and avalanche colors

exactly I definitely would change all the fluids that way I know what’s in it and when it was done. I keep seeing people say they don’t change their tranny fluid if it’s not giving them a problem because changing the fluid might create problems? Any insight in this thought process?

lol that’s funny about closing the wrong doors on the scab. I could definitely see that happening with kids. Great call and very true on the 36 gallon tank vs the 26. Less pump stops.

Beautiful truck, I’m pretty sure I’m sold. It looks so different in different lighting. I appreciate the information and pictures it has helped sir. I’m guessing that was yours before you sold it. I think I’d prefer the all black interior but if all works out it will be a nice change lol. The red interior looks darker in the picture I wonder if it’s comparable to bmw’s “fox red” because that is really nice.

The AMSOIL certainly won’t hurt. Coating it once a year should suffice and give you peace of mind if you plan on keeping it long term.

Aesthetically, the Gen 2 looks the best in my opinion. A lot of the Gen 2 problems are blown out of proportion. To be fair, there are several people on here that have had problems with them—@SVTTrooper is one of them. But overall, the 3.5 is a reliable engine. It is significantly quicker than the 6.2—granted the 3.5 is derived from a super car, while the 6.2 is derived from a super duty work truck. I have seen super duty guys put 500k plus miles on the 6.2, it is a work horse. Nevertheless, the only common problem on the 3.5 engine was the cam phasers and oil consumption issues. Cam phasers don’t do anything to the engine besides make a funny noise on startup and in my opinion, the oil consumption problems can be minimized with a good quality oil like the AMSOIL full synthetic. The Gen 2s are more refined and luxurious as the cabin noise is significantly reduced while driving and the technology is night and day compared to the Gen 1. I think it would be ideal to own both generations and appreciate them on their own merit because they are both great trucks. Avalanche is a great color, but was only offered on the 17s. Lol everyone seems to have Leadfoot nowadays so I opted against it. I went with Race Red, which is not a common color on the Gen 2s.

You are right about changing the tranny fluid. If you have your tranny fluid flushed, which is what most dealerships do because it is easier and more expedient, then you are blasting dirty fluid with containments all through your valve bodies—very bad idea and is why most people experience tranny issues after they get it flushed. What you should do is drop the tranny pan, drain the fluid, clean the pan for any debris, and switch out the tranny filter. You won’t be able to get all of the fluid out of the tranny because some will be left in the torque converter. So what I do is pull the return tranny cooler line from the radiator and allow some of the old fluid to get out as I let the truck run. This video shows the process:
I like to change my tranny fluid around 30k miles on a new vehicle to get any of the wear metals out. I do everything noted above and have never had a problem. A dealership can do this for you too, just make sure they drop the pan and change the fluid rather than flushing it with a machine—make sure to be adamant about this because all it would take is them doing that one time and your transmission could be ruined.

Yea, the pictures of the Ruby are mine. The color really shines in the Florida sun, so you’ll enjoy it. Lol it makes the terrain look dull. The perception of the red seats vary based on lighting. In direct sunlight, they look lighter. On the Special Edition Ruby and Black 14s, you also get darker center console pieces and aluminum trim. Just for reference, I took those pictures when I sold the truck with 90k miles. Lol I am beyond OCD about taking care of my stuff. Most trucks with 10k miles don’t have seats that look like that.

F60071FD-7F11-4361-8F45-79F00A31857A.jpeg

792CC530-3AC8-4435-A587-2008950DAB74.jpeg

9AF8EB3A-59D4-4B5D-A4B0-F6863F6FD9D9.jpeg

59C005A1-83C9-4E49-BE12-B1B488B1FD51.jpeg

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AMSOIL certainly won’t hurt. Coating it once a year should suffice and give you peace of mind if you plan on keeping it long term.

Aesthetically, the Gen 2 looks the best in my opinion. A lot of the Gen 2 problems are blown out of proportion. To be fair, there are several people on here that have had problems with them—@SVTTrooper is one of them. But overall, the 3.5 is a reliable engine. It is significantly quicker than the 6.2—granted the 3.5 is derived from a super car, while the 6.2 is derived from a super duty work truck. I have seen super duty guys put 500k plus miles on the 6.2, it is a work horse. Nevertheless, the only common problem on the 3.5 engine was the cam phasers and oil consumption issues. Cam phasers don’t do anything to the engine besides make a funny noise on startup and in my opinion, the oil consumption problems can be minimized with a good quality oil like the AMSOIL full synthetic. The Gen 2s are more refined and luxurious as the cabin noise is significantly reduced while driving and the technology is night and day compared to the Gen 1. I think it would be ideal to own both generations and appreciate them on their own merit because they are both great trucks. Avalanche is a great color, but was only offered on the 17s. Lol everyone seems to have Leadfoot nowadays so I opted against it. I went with Race Red, which is not a common color on the Gen 2s.

You are right about changing the tranny fluid. If you have your tranny fluid flushed, which is what most dealerships do because it is easier and more expedient, then you are blasting dirty fluid with containments all through your valve bodies—very bad idea and is why most people experience tranny issues after they get it flushed. What you should do is drop the tranny pan, drain the fluid, clean the pan for any debris, and switch out the tranny filter. You won’t be able to get all of the fluid out of the tranny because some will be left in the torque converter. So what I do is pull the return tranny cooler line from the radiator and allow some of the old fluid to get out as I let the truck run. This video shows the process:
I like to change my tranny fluid around 30k miles on a new vehicle to get any of the wear metals out. I do everything noted above and have never had a problem. A dealership can do this for you too, just make sure they drop the pan and change the fluid rather than flushing it with a machine—make sure to be adamant about this because all it would take is them doing that one time and your transmission could be ruined.

Yea, the pictures of the Ruby are mine. The color really shines in the Florida sun, so you’ll enjoy it. Lol it makes the terrain look dull. The perception of the red seats vary based on lighting. In direct sunlight, they look lighter. On the Special Edition Ruby and Black 14s, you also get darker center console pieces and aluminum trim. Just for reference, I took those pictures when I sold the truck with 90k miles. Lol I am beyond OCD about taking care of my stuff. Most trucks with 10k miles don’t have seats that look like that.

View attachment 162164

View attachment 162165

View attachment 162166

View attachment 162167

Interior looks great.

How did you prevent the driver’s seat bottom bolster from squishing and creasing when getting out and in over 90k?

D

Deleted member 17706

Interior looks great.

How did you prevent the driver’s seat bottom bolster from squishing and creasing when getting out and in over 90k?

Lol all I do is lift my rear end up and over the bottom seat each time I get in and out of the vehicle. Pretty simple thing to do, but it makes a big difference in how the leather ages if you don’t slide on the bottom seat as you get in and out. I also use Wolfgang leather cleaner and conditioner every month—real good stuff: Wolfgang Leather Care Combo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ULXMCS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

OP
OP
FNG in FL duhhh

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 162164

View attachment 162165

View attachment 162166

View attachment 162167

Ye

View attachment 162164

View attachment 162165

View attachment 162166

View attachment 162167

Yes sir good call on coating the undercarriage for longevity as I plan on keeping my next one.

Funny I saw 300k plus on the high mileage check in the last time I looked. Race red that’s cool. I wonder if the gen 2 price will begin to fall with the gen 3 being a 3.5 as well.

Thank you for the heads up on dropping the tranny pan vs just having a flush done. The video is pretty in depth so that will definitely help a lot when it comes time.

Those seats look brand new and amazing. I’m sure whoever got your gen 1 got a steal of a deal for the condition. I’ll try to go up and over vs sliding across lol and I’ll definitely pick me up some of that Wolfgang cleaner