WTB 1st Gen 6.2L Raptor SVT Super Crew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool, also I've been in a few dealerships and to honest at least for me they do not know anything about the car at all. My first question if the car has high Miles is "do you guys know if the Fox suspension has been rebuilt" they always either ignore the question or make up some stupid response.

A couple months ago I went to a dealership where I saw a "clean" Raptor SVT. I took it for a test drive, when I came back the front wheels were smoking like crazy. I was told that it was because I was driving the car on 4H which I didn't, and that the tires were also cold. I could tell the front calipers were the problem but I was told I was crazy and that also I should not be worry about it anyways. I just walked out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Yeah most dealers know nothing about them. I will say your looking at under 1k to get all the shocks rebuilt. It would be worth just planning on doing it to any of the trucks you look at so you don’t have to worry about asking around for if it’s been done. No one will know. I’ve seen full carbon fiber boatec fenders and high end wheels larger tires and aftermarket bumper go completely unnoticed by dealers.

OP
OP
V

vennom2049

Reaction score
Yeah most dealers know nothing about them. I will say your looking at under 1k to get all the shocks rebuilt. It would be worth just planning on doing it to any of the trucks you look at so you don’t have to worry about asking around for if it’s been done. No one will know. I’ve seen full carbon fiber boatec fenders and high end wheels larger tires and aftermarket bumper go completely unnoticed by dealers.
That's why I'm looking to buy the car from someone from the forum that I can talk about the car and also that is familiar with it.

OP
OP
V

vennom2049

Reaction score
the raptor only came in supercab and crewcab. there is no 2 door raptor, unless you build one
If you were to buy a high mileage raptor svt, what would you look for besides check if the suspension has been rebuilt, the transmission recall has been addressed and that there is no rust in the body.
Thanks in advance. [emoji106]

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
frame. thats the biggest one. if the frame is bent at the rear bump stop. check the tailgate gap to see if thats even.
+1 to frame

mostly everything else you could replace.

check for:
-run the A/c max for 5 min (you do not want to deal with heater cores)
-run the heat for 5 min
-with truck running and not moving turn steering lock to lock, listen for noise
-during a test drive go about 20 mph and rock the steering wheel back and forth to check for worn ball joint (noise)
-jump up and down on the rear bumper listen for squeeky bushings
-if you can get under the truck and see if there is any oil resedue caked near the drain plug and bottom of tranny
-open the airbox and check the air filter, if at a ford dealer or like you can somtimes have them "throw in" a new filter if the one in there is rough
-check coolant level, if its low might be a leak,
-check windshield washer fluid tank if empty it might leak
-turn all lights on exterior and interior look for out bulbs
-look for at the hitch, if it looks like it was often used vs not at all, can give you an idea of if the truck has been used to tow.
-check the seat plushness and leather condition
-flip all switches knobs and turn on/off all settings
-make sure 4wd works in every mode and you dont get a check 4x4 light
drive 10 ft in 4wd on pavement youll know if the front wheels are locked

all these things may seem petty but if you do each and they all check out then at least you know someone might have taken good care of it. also these are little things youll kick yourself on if you get it home and the wipers need to be replaced cause they dont have any rubber. with the price range you are looking at you are going to be looking at a vehcile that is near 8-10 years old. raptor and mile aside there are small things youll want to look for.

ill say you will likely be better of just not worrying about if the shocls were rebuilt. just look at the overall external condition and just tell yourself now to spend the $1k to get them done. you never know. somtimes people rebuild shock cause they have a rough ride but it turns out its a dent driveshaft or somthing else and they are tired of chasing the issue so deside to sell it....

overall id say look for as stock as possible in the best overall condition (all the little things) it will tell you how the truck was taken care of over the years.

OP
OP
V

vennom2049

Reaction score
+1 to frame

check for:
-run the heat for 5 min
-during a test drive go about 20 mph and rock the steering wheel back and forth to check for worn ball joint (noise)
-if you can get under the truck and see if there is any oil resedue caked near the drain plug and bottom of tranny
-open the airbox and check the air filter, if at a ford dealer or like you can somtimes have them "throw in" a new filter if the one in there is rough
-look for at the hitch, if it looks like it was often used vs not at all, can give you an idea of if the truck has been used to tow.

all these things may seem petty but if you do each and they all check out then at least you know someone might have taken good care of it. also these are little things youll kick yourself on if you get it home and the wipers need to be replaced cause they dont have any rubber. with the price range you are looking at you are going to be looking at a vehcile that is near 8-10 years old. raptor and mile aside there are small things youll want to look for.

ill say you will likely be better of just not worrying about if the shocls were rebuilt. just look at the overall external condition and just tell yourself now to spend the $1k to get them done. you never know. somtimes people rebuild shock cause they have a rough ride but it turns out its a dent driveshaft or somthing else and they are tired of chasing the issue so deside to sell it....

overall id say look for as stock as possible in the best overall condition (all the little things) it will tell you how the truck was taken care of over the years.
[emoji119][emoji106] thanks

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to frame

check for:
-run the heat for 5 min

yeah, im too busy at work to type that much haha. if the frame is bent and the tailgate shows uneven gap then its been offroaded and needs to be checked out some more