wrench symbol in display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midmaik

Reaction score
today a wrench symbol pops up in the display.
drining behaviour was normal. no unusual noise or something else.

fault memory was empty.

does someone has an idea what could it be ?

I'm in germany and just driving to a dealer is not possible, because they don't know something about that truck.

rent

Reaction score
According to the manual, this could be 1) a powertrain or an AWD fault, or 2) four-wheel drive fault if a Check 4x4 message is present. -alex

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Strangely I got this wrench symbol while I was using the truck to get some rolling shots of my car club members vehicles. I was driving and the rear right door was open and one of my buddies was turned around taking pictures. All of the sudden, I looked down and got a wrench warning light on the dash. I checked for trouble codes with my programmer and nothing showed. Turned the truck off, got out for a few, got back in and started it. Boom, it was gone.

No idea. I think the raptor got pissed because I had one of her doors open...

SuperExplorer

Reaction score
I had this come up a few times with my truck this past weekend. It came on three separate times, all times were similar situations.. I would be driving for an hour or two, get into heavy traffic that was stop and go and as soon as I started moving again the wrench popped up and it would go into limp mode. Shut the truck off get gas or use the bathroom, fire up wrench was gone and not come back on. Was out on the trails all day saturday, never once had it come on. On the drive home, cruising down the highway, stop and go traffic, start moving and wrench popped back on. I was towing a trailer, empty the first time, then had a buggy the second time it came on. Motor and trans were fine, not hot or anything.

Curious what it might be..?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Wrench Light indicates a Powertrain Malfunction. The PCM, Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM), and BCM can all send a request to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to turn the Wrench Light on.

If there are no DTCs in the PCM, check the TCCM and BCM for DTCs. ForScan has the ability to communicate with those modules.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that wrench come on and off for a while now. It would say hill start assist unavailable, crash alert unavailable, power train fault, see manual, service advance track. All sort of random things. Finally got it to the dealer and they claimed the engine and trans were losing communication so they changed the harness from the trans to the pcm. Still would come on after that, then they gave it an alignment to please the steering angle sensor fault that it had stored a code for, still did it. Now its in for there 3rd attempt and they changed the abs module, didn't work. They tried the restraint control module, still does it. Now they're wanting to pull the dash to replace some harnesses under there. I filed a lemon law claim on it. Last thing I want is for my brand new truck to have all this exploratory work done on it..should of never happened in the first place.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that wrench come on and off for a while now. It would say hill start assist unavailable, crash alert unavailable, power train fault, see manual, service advance track. All sort of random things. Finally got it to the dealer and they claimed the engine and trans were losing communication so they changed the harness from the trans to the pcm. Still would come on after that, then they gave it an alignment to please the steering angle sensor fault that it had stored a code for, still did it. Now its in for there 3rd attempt and they changed the abs module, didn't work. They tried the restraint control module, still does it. Now they're wanting to pull the dash to replace some harnesses under there. I filed a lemon law claim on it. Last thing I want is for my brand new truck to have all this exploratory work done on it..should of never happened in the first place.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They never got permission from ford to pull the dash. Last they over layed a wire under the passenger seat and thought that fixed it but it didn't. Ford approved the buy back so this Wednesday it goes back to them and im shopping for a 2020