GEN 1 Wrench Icon, Advance Trac, Powertrain and more...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maintecheib

Reaction score
The other day my 2011 scab decided to give me a surprise. Remote started the truck, after about 10 minutes I got in and put the key in the ignition and turned on. All seemed fine. Put in Drive, toggled gears down to 2, in parking lot don't need it in 3rd. All seemed fine no warning lights, besides Air Bag Icon. This has been for a while now, haven't taken the time to dig into what I figure is a bad ground because left blinker does the hyper flash. They both started at the same time. Back to issue at hand. Pulled out on the road and accelerated, that's when I got the surprise. The truck sputtered like it was out of gas, when I looked at dash the Wrench Icon, Advance Trac and a couple more scrolled across saying each needed service. Then went away, no MIL and Wrench Icon. Backed off throttle seemed okay, ease back into the throttle, same thing but this time truck died. Coasted to a stop, good thing I was on a side street. Turned truck off, waited a minute then started truck, fired up, then died, same stuff scrolled across the dash. Turned key off waited a minute the started truck, fired up, then died. On the third time engine stayed running with no icons other than Air bag. Put in Drive and granny accelerated, again seemed okay. Then the engine sputtered again, stayed running, got the scroll of problems and the Wrench Icon, which prompted limp mode. I limped to the gas station and plugged in my OBD scan tool.
I was able to pull this:

upload_2021-4-12_10-25-56.png

The truck is N/A, the only real change was a Tune from JDM, which I uploaded about 2 weeks ago. After initial flash, did a re-flash to change tire size. Still running the Tune and all seems fine. Hoping someone can chime in with an idea of what could cause this.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the remote start system factory or aftermarket? The DTCs you pulled are pointing to a network that issue. Does your scan tool have the ability to perform a network test? That is the first thing that needs to be done to determine if all equipped modules are communicating when the concern is present. With the mass air flow DTC present I would suspect that is causing your engine performance concern. Have you performed a visual inspection of the engine compartment for harness damage? It is interesting that the ABS is setting a loss of communication to the PSCM; does your tuner modify the ABS module calibration? Gen 1 Raptors have hydraulic power steering and therefore aren’t equipped with a PSCM.

OP
OP
Maintecheib

Maintecheib

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! The remote start is the factory system. I have 2 scan tools, both are OBD Link's. One is blue tooth, the one I pulled the codes with on my phone. The other one is USB to my computer. I will check to see if I can run a network check. It's interesting that you mention the mass air flow sensor. I swapped the intake runner which houses the MAF. I will double check the plug on that. I did look over all the main plug going to the ECU. I don't think the tune I got from JDM modifies the ABS. I'm using an SCT programmer. One of the changes that can be made is tire size, could this be changing the ABS module calibration?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! The remote start is the factory system. I have 2 scan tools, both are OBD Link's. One is blue tooth, the one I pulled the codes with on my phone. The other one is USB to my computer. I will check to see if I can run a network check. It's interesting that you mention the mass air flow sensor. I swapped the intake runner which houses the MAF. I will double check the plug on that. I did look over all the main plug going to the ECU. I don't think the tune I got from JDM modifies the ABS. I'm using an SCT programmer. One of the changes that can be made is tire size, could this be changing the ABS module calibration?

The tire size information is part of the ABS calibration, so the tuner would definitely have to modify the ABS cal.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic. My wife's Mercedes diesel had a bad MAF sensor issue and it would take about 90 seconds to get to 55mph. An actual mechanic said sensors (has 2) were bad. $1500. Instead he cleaned them, recalibrated, and sent me on my way $130. I bought new sensor assembly on line for $365. Since you mentioned the intake runner, I remember on my 06' F150 I had removed my air filter housing to do something else and when I test drove it, it was horrible. I had forgot to reattach the filter assembly and tighten the clamp. Amazing how something so simple made such a drastic difference. I'd look there first.

OP
OP
Maintecheib

Maintecheib

Reaction score
Thanks @Louisiana Barefoot, the connection to the MAS was one of the number of plugs I checked. As @FordTechOne is noting that there seemed to be a network issue. There are a couple of individual sensor errors, most seemed to have been some type of hiccup in communication. Neither of my code readers directly list a network check as on option but my OBDLink EX uses Forscan, so I going to see if its possible to do a network check that way. I am also beginning to suspect something with the SCT programmer or the program/tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free