Wouldn't it be awesome? 5.8L Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like mine too, but these trucks should have had a V8 from the start..

ive always said that whatever they're selling is "the best raptor you can get right now" hopefully something better always keeps coming along.

and im consistently getting 11mpg on my 2019, so there's nothing ECO about it.. a 450hp V8 would have got the same MPG

it doesn't seem to really matter.. 14mpg is the best ive ever got, with mostly 75mph highway cruising. my 6.2 2012 had a better overall average..
I don't know how you are getting that mileage. I get 15 around town and 19 on the highway at 80.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i like mine too, but these trucks should have had a V8 from the start..

ive always said that whatever they're selling is "the best raptor you can get right now" hopefully something better always keeps coming along.

and im consistently getting 11mpg on my 2019, so there's nothing ECO about it.. a 450hp V8 would have got the same MPG
Why? There is no reasoning behind that claim. The EcoBoost offers the best of both worlds; more power, more torque, less weight, and better fuel economy. If you’re getting 11 MPG out of a Gen 2, you must be going WOT stop light to stop light, or someone drilled a hole in your fuel tank. Even in bumper to bumper traffic I’ve never dropped below 15. The 6.2 is old, slow, and heavy. Cylinder count is a ridiculous reason to claim one engine is better than another. If you drove a Gen 1 in the same manner you’d be getting half that number, easily.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or driving it like I want to keep it till it dies.
Sounds pretty boring but I'm also a conservative driver.. 75mph on the highway and only a little boost in town. I'm in a major metropolitan area so ethanol seem to be the mpg killer in my area. Did a road trip to south Dakota and was getting 17-18mpg on the highway.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why? There is no reasoning behind that claim. The EcoBoost offers the best of both worlds; more power, more torque, less weight, and better fuel economy. If you’re getting 11 MPG out of a Gen 2, you must be going WOT stop light to stop light, or someone drilled a hole in your fuel tank. Even in bumper to bumper traffic I’ve never dropped below 15. The 6.2 is old, slow, and heavy. Cylinder count is a ridiculous reason to claim one engine is better than another. If you drove a Gen 1 in the same manner you’d be getting half that number, easily.
But you're wrong because as I just said my 2012 6.2L supercab with basically the same mods got better overall mileage per gallon on premium fuel. It did have 5 star tunes in the Gen1 so maybe that's a factor. I don't go WOT very often at at as I'm a 47 year old male.. light boost around town. Nothing crazy

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might not have ethanol filler in your fuel
We have ethanol in our fuel. Almost every state does. The numbers your claiming are not rational.
But you're wrong because as I just said my 2012 6.2L supercab with basically the same mods got better overall mileage per gallon on premium fuel. It did have 5 star tunes in the Gen1 so maybe that's a factor. I don't go WOT very often at at as I'm a 47 year old male.. light boost around town. Nothing crazy
So I’m “wrong” because you’ve managed to outsmart both the fuel economy ratings and defy physics. Got it.

In all seriousness, calculate it by hand. The fuel economy readings on the Gen 1 instrument clusters were anything but accurate; you can’t fuel a 6.2L port injected engine in a 6500lb truck and exceed the EPA numbers.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all fairness at 14.7 psi that little 3.5 becomes basically a 7.0……………..

The only major fuel economy increase come from how most people drive all the time. So it isn’t inconsequential.

If your asking for the world it is still consuming fuel same as basically any engine that can produce that power.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all fairness at 14.7 psi that little 3.5 becomes basically a 7.0……………..

The only major fuel economy increase come from how most people drive all the time. So it isn’t inconsequential.

If your asking for the world it is still consuming fuel same as basically any engine that can produce that power.
This is true. Two engines producing the same specific power output will both require a minimum amount of fuel to achieve that output. However, as powertrain controls have advanced, the specific fuel required can be more precisely measured, meaning less wasted fuel. So an engine like the DI/PFI DOHC 3.5 has the capability to more accurately meter fuel compared to a decade old powertrain tech like the Gen 1. Forced induction also increases volumetric efficiency.

And when you’re not producing that maximum output, the G2 is using the same amount of fuel as a N/A 3.5 when out of boost, which is 90% of normal driving. Even at a stoplight, the 6.2 needs to adequately fuel all cylinders regardless, hence the 11 MPG rating.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have ethanol in our fuel. Almost every state does. The numbers your claiming are not rational.

So I’m “wrong” because you’ve managed to outsmart both the fuel economy ratings and defy physics. Got it.

In all seriousness, calculate it by hand. The fuel economy readings on the Gen 1 instrument clusters were anything but accurate; you can’t fuel a 6.2L port injected engine in a 6500lb truck and exceed the EPA numbers.
i do calculate by hand all the time, because the screen says im getting 13mpg, and math says 11mpg. the gen1 screen was much closer to reality than my gen2, i never said i exceeded the numbers but the gen1 overall avg was 12.5mpg and the gen2 is 11.8.

you're right most states have ethanol, but its only in metro areas.. Lacrosse WI for instance, no ethanol fuel is readily available..