Wouldn't it be awesome? 5.8L Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't know jack about Ford engines if that is your argument here.

I don't need to look up anything. I know in detail about every V8 engine Ford has made since the 4.6L first debuted. I know specifics about every variant of those engine as well. Why? I like Fords. I like Mustangs, F150s, SHOs- pretty much everything they make.

This is fact- every V8 they have sold in the last 30 years, minus the 6.2L and new 7.3L, is a based on the 4.6L mod motor.

I also know every change they've made along the way to make their "new" engines.

The 5.8L is a direct descendant of the MKVIII engine. That's a fact. It doesn't just look like a mod motor- it IS a mod motor. Still fully constrained by the tiny bores and bore spacing the MKVIII had (spray bore cough cough). However, if you beef up the block for better strength and cooling, work on the heads, add VVT and DI, beef up the rods and pistons, then slap a blower on top (things it takes 30 years to do in OEM land) you can go from a 280 HP N/A engine to 700 HP forced induction engine.
The 5.8 shares it’s architecture with the 4.6/5.4, but the 5.0/5.2 does not. Just because an engine shares certain dimensions to allow compatibility with the existing assembly line and tooling does not mean it’s the “same” as a previous engine.

The 5.0 was an all new engine architecture when it debuted in 2011, from the block casting down to the firing order. They share no parts with the 4.6/5.4; it was a clean sheet design. They don’t just “add” features TI-VCT, you act like it’s a bolt on part. Those systems are engineered into the engine design from the beginning.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't know jack about Ford engines if that is your argument here.

I don't need to look up anything. I know in detail about every V8 engine Ford has made since the 4.6L first debuted. I know specifics about every variant of those engine as well. Why? I like Fords. I like Mustangs, F150s, SHOs- pretty much everything they make.

This is fact- every V8 they have sold in the last 30 years, minus the 6.2L and new 7.3L, is a based on the 4.6L mod motor.

I also know every change they've made along the way to make their "new" engines.

The 5.8L is a direct descendant of the MKVIII engine. That's a fact. It doesn't just look like a mod motor- it IS a mod motor. Still fully constrained by the tiny bores and bore spacing the MKVIII had (spray bore cough cough). However, if you beef up the block for better strength and cooling, work on the heads, add VVT and DI, beef up the rods and pistons, then slap a blower on top (things it takes 30 years to do in OEM land) you can go from a 280 HP N/A engine to 700 HP forced induction engine.
I apologize, I did not mean to offend you. FordTechOne replied as this:

"The 5.8 shares it’s architecture with the 4.6/5.4, but the 5.0/5.2 does not. Just because an engine shares certain dimensions to allow compatibility with the existing assembly line and tooling does not mean it’s the “same” as a previous engine. The 5.0 was an all new engine architecture when it debuted in 2011, from the block casting down to the firing order. They share no parts with the 4.6/5.4; it was a clean sheet design. They don’t just “add” features TI-VCT, you act like it’s a bolt on part. Those systems are engineered into the engine design from the beginning."

Last edited:

BigTaco

Reaction score
Man,
You seem to be, really angry about nothing. The current 5.2 evolution of the Coyote. It’s actually the “best” of the current options available to what Ford Performance can offer to customers in this day. So much has changed since the “modular” motor has been offered. Lots of changes the 4.6 Romeo. Biggest deal is the cam timing advantages.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man,
You seem to be, really angry about nothing. The current 5.2 evolution of the Coyote. It’s actually the “best” of the current options available to what Ford Performance can offer to customers in this day. So much has changed since the “modular” motor has been offered. Lots of changes the 4.6 Romeo. Biggest deal is the cam timing advantages.
Am I the one angry? I don't mean to offend anyone. Just an modest tip, you might want to quote people when you reply to threads because I can't tell who you are talking too. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I was getting nostalgic and remembered the supercharged 5.8L "Trinity" motor that was exclusive to the 2013-14 GT500. It produced 662 HP and 631 LB.FT.TQ. and was rated to get 24 MPG on the highway. Much better than the Predators 18 MPG. Wouldn't it be awesome if Ford would've put it into the Raptor R. It has the best exhaust note in my opinion and has globs of torque and was as reliable as heck. Let me know your thoughts:

I have one of those, that engine is awesome. One of the last manual non-limited top speed animals. Mine is currently for sale, only 1,880 miles on it, what a machine and yes that engine would have been great In a raptor.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those, that engine is awesome. One of the last manual non-limited top speed animals. Mine is currently for sale, only 1,880 miles on it, what a machine and yes that engine would have been great In a raptor.
Yes my Grandfather has his and he loves it. Here's what he says. "Last solid axle, last manual, and last convertible (his is a convertible). Fastest top speed of any stock Shelby. I am a dinosaur and it is a dinosaur but some dinosaurs are fast.....very fast.)

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We got the 5.2, be happy and satisfied. We are all idiots for spending 110k on a truck. But, we will love it.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the 5.2, be happy and satisfied. We are all idiots for spending 110k on a truck. But, we will love it.
I was just dreaming. Still happy. We're idiots for spending 110k on a truck and probably only getting 8 MPG. I'll stick with my EcoBoost.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, the Raptor is also based on the F150 just a lot more radical. The Focus RS was also based on the daily driver Focus. Just because they are based on something doesn't mean that they are degraded to their lowest counterparts. Look up what the 5.8L shares with the 4.6L. You won't find much.
Ahhh the 4.6 v8 was terrible... had to have a special tool just for this motor when changing out spark plugs. They were prone to breaking in half while trying to remove them and would usually require an extraction tool which I permanently bought. Ended up selling the vehicle a few years later cause I was just not a fan of the motor.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh the 4.6 v8 was terrible... had to have a special tool just for this motor when changing out spark plugs. They were prone to breaking in half while trying to remove them and would usually require an extraction tool which I permanently bought. Ended up selling the vehicle a few years later cause I was just not a fan of the motor.
I have a 2003 with the 5.4L and had zero problems with it. Of course, it has had every maintenance for every 5k miles.