Wouldn't it be awesome? 5.8L Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I was getting nostalgic and remembered the supercharged 5.8L "Trinity" motor that was exclusive to the 2013-14 GT500. It produced 662 HP and 631 LB.FT.TQ. and was rated to get 24 MPG on the highway. Much better than the Predators 18 MPG. Wouldn't it be awesome if Ford would've put it into the Raptor R. It has the best exhaust note in my opinion and has globs of torque and was as reliable as heck. Let me know your thoughts:

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just excited Ford is finally adding a powerhouse V8 to the Raptor lineup. I’m not going to be picky on which engine they install.

But yeah that would be awesome too
Hey I am an EcoBoost lover but agree that Ford needed to respond to the TRX. Not being picky, the 5.2L is an awesome engine, I can just dream.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They all are children of the 1993 Lincoln MKVIII 4.6L 4V engine.
The 5.8L 4V was a modified 5.4L 4V, which was a tall deck version of the 4.6L 4V.
The 5.2L is a modified 5.0L Coyote engine, which is, you guessed it - a modified version of the 4.6L 4V engine.

Ford's only two V8 gas engines in the last 30 years that have not been mod motor based have been the 6.2L that went in the Raptor and SDs and the new 7.3L in the SDs. The old V10 was a mod motor too.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all are children of the 1993 Lincoln MKVIII 4.6L 4V engine.
The 5.8L 4V was a modified 5.4L 4V, which was a tall deck version of the 4.6L 4V.
The 5.2L is a modified 5.0L Coyote engine, which is, you guessed it - a modified version of the 4.6L 4V engine.

Ford's only two V8 gas engines in the last 30 years that have not been mod motor based have been the 6.2L that went in the Raptor and SDs and the new 7.3L in the SDs. The old V10 was a mod motor too.
Yah, the Raptor is also based on the F150 just a lot more radical. The Focus RS was also based on the daily driver Focus. Just because they are based on something doesn't mean that they are degraded to their lowest counterparts. Look up what the 5.8L shares with the 4.6L. You won't find much.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yah, the Raptor is also based on the F150 just a lot more radical. The Focus RS was also based on the daily driver Focus. Just because they are based on something doesn't mean that they are degraded to their lowest counterparts. Look up what the 5.8L shares with the 4.6L. You won't find much.
You don't know jack about Ford engines if that is your argument here.

I don't need to look up anything. I know in detail about every V8 engine Ford has made since the 4.6L first debuted. I know specifics about every variant of those engine as well. Why? I like Fords. I like Mustangs, F150s, SHOs- pretty much everything they make.

This is fact- every V8 they have sold in the last 30 years, minus the 6.2L and new 7.3L, is a based on the 4.6L mod motor.

I also know every change they've made along the way to make their "new" engines.

The 5.8L is a direct descendant of the MKVIII engine. That's a fact. It doesn't just look like a mod motor- it IS a mod motor. Still fully constrained by the tiny bores and bore spacing the MKVIII had (spray bore cough cough). However, if you beef up the block for better strength and cooling, work on the heads, add VVT and DI, beef up the rods and pistons, then slap a blower on top (things it takes 30 years to do in OEM land) you can go from a 280 HP N/A engine to 700 HP forced induction engine.