Would you take this offer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree here.

I might be splitting hairs, but are you disagreeing with getting the '17 at MSRP or my assessment that '17s don't command as high of a price?

Seems like we both had similar lines of thought...

If he were in a different area, I would say below MSRP is a reasonable price for a '17. But if he went through a lot of back and forth to end up at $4k+, I don't think $2k under is even realistic (with that dealer).

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's tempting to get exactly what you want, but I wouldn't pay an ADM on a 2017... 2018's are out and there are plenty of them to be had. See if you can find out how many days it has been on the lot. It may be coming up to its own birthday sitting there. Would sit down with the GM and be clear about how long it has sat there, what your offer is and be ready to close the deal.

Why did you let them pull your credit if you weren't sure you were going to buy it?

OP
OP
zemuron99

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. You're all collectively right, I probably have a bit more bargaining power than I thought considering it's a 17, and on the other side of the showroom is a lightning blue '18. I have no idea how long the dealer has had it, but the on-line window sticker had the code 2201704258207, so at least the window sticker has seemingly been issued since April last year. So it's ~9 months old.

I'd agree w/Pierceography, getting below MSRP on the West Coast is pretty unlikely, there are 1-2 dealers I've heard from but they're out of '18 allocations (would sell in-stock units @ MSRP), and haven't committed one way or the other on 19's yet. None of the local stock (except the one I saw today) matches what I want.

Funny thing is, they all say how popular the R is, but I can't recall the last time I saw one on the road, though admittedly I don't do a whole lot of driving except for fun as I commute by bus/bike.

I didn't let them pull my credit, it was more of a discussion (by me) rather than a pull of the report. "Review" may have been a bit of an overstatement.

I'm not sure my wife and I could 'game' them w/the argument technique. She's a petite Asian woman, all of 100 lbs soaking wet after a big lunch. It would probably be more comedic than anything, though if I could get her to swear at me in Chinese now that might work. They have some pretty good invective when they need it. And, that's not really how I roll, I prefer to be straight up and honest.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

I did just hear back from Penske in La Mesa, CA: It will be at least 1-1/2 to 2 years before any availability. We do sometimes get Raptors that free up and they become first come first serve. Wow...I'm patient but....

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Also just received THIS beauty: "We (a W. Wash dealer) have an allocation currently available for the Raptor. The Markup on the MSRP is $20,000 for the Raptor.

Would you like me to go forward with having the build sheet put together for you on your Raptor?"

I don't think I'll even bother to reply to that one.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shop through the internet. You will find dealer that will sell for MSRP. Join the FRF Facebook group. There has been posts to sell at MSRP from dealers. Fly in to pick your truck make an awesome trip out of it.

0-60 freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a local dealer today who had a '17 that was an exact match (color, options, no extras I didn't want such as the bed ramps or the carbon fiber pkg). As seems usual for here in WA state, price was MSRP + 10K. Almost everyone here is MSRP +5-10k. After some discussion, my honest disclosure that I've seen dealers offering MSRP but half-way across the country, review of my credit etc they came down do MSRP +4k, giving me an OTD price of $86,797 less any down payment I'd make. Tax is a bit over $8k, License about $850 to give some perspective on the number. Sticker is $71,565. I'm going to cross-post this in an existing thread, but for those that see this one, would you take the deal? There are some dealers here in WA that claim to sell at MSRP and still have '18 allocations open, and I'm in no hurry to do this, so I do have the luxury of waiting if need be. But the updates to the '18 over the '17 aren't that important to me (mostly seem related to the sound system). It's a frickin' gorgeous truck and I could have it in the garage this weekend...
I paid sticker, 70110.00....p.m. me , buy from Texas

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Shop through the internet. You will find dealer that will sell for MSRP. Join the FRF Facebook group. There has been posts to sell at MSRP from dealers. Fly in to pick your truck make an awesome trip out of it.

Correct answer.
Or just have the truck delivered to a local dealer.

If the truck you’re looking at is 9 months old, the only way they are going to keep holding on to it is if they paid another dealer to take the truck and it wasn’t delivered to them from Ford. IOW, they went out to buy up the cheap trucks so they could ADM them. But how long have they had it?

Who cares, not relevant to you and your wife. what is relevant is that it is already a model year old and Ford is tooling up for ’19’s.

$2k under, final offer. If they give you some song and dance about how much they paid, tell them life is tough when you’re stupid. $2k under MSRP, got financing already, you really want to turn down money on a year old truck?

going, going... what’s that, you want to talk? Thought so, but the only talk is you’ll take my offer, or I’m driving to < you make up the state > to pick up the MSRP ’18 Rap. I mean it’s up to you if you want to keep your older Rap and make me go further out, but it’s my money and I’m spending it the way I want.

Damn. I hate to think of that Rap just sitting there all alone every night, nobody drive it... Seriously, someone should report these jokers to ASPCR

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell no.... It's a leftover at this point. Go to the Gen 2 facebook page and dealers are posting 18's at msrp daily.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
In the used market the value of the 18’s vs the 17’s will be based on mileage not year as there is nothing additional that is special on the 18’s. But I would hammer them down closer to MSRP and decide how much it will cost to travel to get one out of state vs msrp + at that dealer.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call Jess Ford in Pullman, WA. Ask for Andrew and tell him a guy from Dayton told you to call him.

I've bought 4 trucks from them including my Raptor. Straight up guys to deal with. I doubt they will have one in stock but they'll do everything to get you one.