Would You Pay More $ for better Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been researching every aftermarket part added to my Raptor to make it a better truck, despite the higher cost for quality I have gone that route over cheaper less quality items.
Now that I am in the market for new wheels I find my self cheapening out, not sure why because I think that the right rims and tires will make the truck.
Just wondering if others would just buy a cheap cast rim that looks good or pay the extra for quality like Billet machining, Forging for strength, Polishing, Anodizing for a finish that will last and Made in America quality.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Though made in China, the Methods are lighter than the stocks, which I believe is a step in the performance improvement direction.

Methods are black, which I also believe improves the aggressive appearance of the Raptor.

A little less positive offset the Methods have over the stocks I also believe improves the aggressive appearance of the Raptor.

And the cost is reasonable.

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides the fact that the Methods look great.

If you arn't racing, a forged wheel is really just bling. Find a good wheel you think looks good, it should last the life of your Raptor.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I love the method rims. And obviously im not alone on that. They have the durability that cant be beat (trophy trucks are running these now) and the price thats lower than any rim that looks as good. A lot of people are all for american made, but I wouldn't get an uglier rim just because its american.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Wheels are one of the items that is mostly opinion however... What is unsprung mass? It is the sum of all associated components attached to the car's suspension. It consists of the tire & wheel, the spindle, brake caliper, brake rotor or drums and a portion of the spring, shock absorber (damper), wheel bearings, and half shafts (on IRS equipped trucks). This is differentiated from sprung mass which is everything else including the driver.

What are the effects of unsprung mass? Why is it important? The purpose of a suspension system is divided between ride quality (or lack of it) and the ability of the car to negotiate an imperfect track or roadway surface. Bumps, the nemesis of traction, are everywhere and need to be dealt with by suspension. The tire at the end of the unsprung mass must stay aligned and in contact with the surface as much as is possible to create maximum traction. When a truck hits a bump the tire and attached suspension with all of its collective unsprung mass starts to move. The smaller the mass the greater the acceleration; the tire moves faster if the unsprung mass is less. This results in a rapid recovery from a bump. The contact patch - the part of the tire touching the road - spends more time on the road. This all translates to more traction, more cornering force (g) and more braking force.

The lighter the tire and wheel the better it is.... so you have to weigh out what you want and decide how much what you end up with in the end will help or hurt your efforts

OP
OP
justvettn

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Method Bead-locks is what I was looking at. The best price I found on those was $345 and they come in machined cast aluminum, for an extra $110.00 they will powder-coat them, bumping them up to $455.00.

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run forged wheels on my track car, after replacing them a few times, I now run a cheap/light over the counter wheel that I get replaced for a little over $100. If you take a big hit, any wheel will be toast. This is a road race car, not a trophy truck. If you have $200k to spend on your truck and you might get stranded 100s of miles from anything you might consider spending 6-$1,200 per wheel

Last edited:
OP
OP
justvettn

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the Method wheel unfinished, looks pretty good but wont last long in the climate I live in. I would be worried about oxidizing and corrosion.
product-large-truck-beadlock-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Now If I go with all the bells and whistles such as solid billet, true forging, polished surface, anodized finish and of coarse made in America, I know some don't care but I think we can still put a value on that, especially for me because I will save on Duties when I import it, its an extra $295.00 per rim over the Method.
proam_wheel_quarter__80056_zoom.jpg

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys at TX motorworks have a killer prices on these. Maybe they can get them powder coated as well.

Smoken wheel by the way.