Would you buy the warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatwater17

Reaction score
The day has come that I have decided to move up from my trusty 2011 Gen 1 into a Gen 2. I am closing on the truck in the morning.. it only comes with the Ford Blue Advantage warranty which only covers me for a few months.

It’s a 2017 with 60k miles. I was offered a “bumper to bumper” warranty for 3years/30k miles for $3,450. Seems high to me, but let’s hear from some seasoned Gen 2 owners, should I get the warranty or should I just let it ride?

Quick note: I did check flood ford and and they will not offer warranty plans for vehicles over 41k miles.

Thanks!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3.5 years and 44,000 miles on my 2018......my truck has not been to a shop except for the cam phaser ecu tune recall.

(knock on wood) I would not do a warranty....especially at that price

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
There are a few threads about ESP. Give those a read. I have a '18 with 45k on it but who knows what the future holds.

LF LandShark 2818

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was beyond skeptical of actually using the CPO warranty I got on my truck but man am I glad I got it. Ford Premium 8yr/100k w/ $100 deductible. I have probably had $12k in work done so far and only paid $200 out of my pocket. This comes with a small caveat though. I have an extremely good relationship with my local dealership even though I’ve never purchased a vehicle from them. They are literally just good people and I’ve heard horror stories about other dealerships who couldn’t care less about being helpful. Every little thing I bring them gets fixed, it’s done on time and they even gave me a loaner for the most recent Cam Phaser fix. To me it’s been worth every penny and allowed me to feel comfortable pushing the truck, knowing it will get fixed if something goes wrong. Just my .02 cents

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The day has come that I have decided to move up from my trusty 2011 Gen 1 into a Gen 2. I am closing on the truck in the morning.. it only comes with the Ford Blue Advantage warranty which only covers me for a few months.

It’s a 2017 with 60k miles. I was offered a “bumper to bumper” warranty for 3years/30k miles for $3,450. Seems high to me, but let’s hear from some seasoned Gen 2 owners, should I get the warranty or should I just let it ride?

Quick note: I did check flood ford and and they will not offer warranty plans for vehicles over 41k miles.

Thanks!
who backs the warranty, is it a Ford motor company plan, or some fly by night plan?

Are there mods on the truck -any- mods at all, or is it bone stock?
Do you have designs on mods? Aftermarket warranty companies are very particular about covering a vehicle with any non factory part, right down to the tires.

What’s your use case? Are commuting? light off roading to camp/hunt? Overlanding or more serious off roading? Or are you secretly an off road hero?

These all factor in. if you’re getting 3 years or 30k, it could be ok, depending on your use case. if you’re going to keep mostly stock, not tune it, etc. and you’re not driving 20k miles / year, it could cover you in the event there’s something off.

My concern was tech, moon roof and the like, not so much powertrain but I’ve kept pretty close to the stock profile until it’s time to add another vehicle to the stable.

If you’re going to got nuts on mods, tune it, etc. don’t spend the money on the warranty.

OP
OP
flatwater17

flatwater17

Reaction score
Do you know if the cam phasers were replaced?
I am not sure, I assume that would show on the carfax.. however im not seeing it.
who backs the warranty, is it a Ford motor company plan, or some fly by night plan?

Are there mods on the truck -any- mods at all, or is it bone stock?
Do you have designs on mods? Aftermarket warranty companies are very particular about covering a vehicle with any non factory part, right down to the tires.

What’s your use case? Are commuting? light off roading to camp/hunt? Overlanding or more serious off roading? Or are you secretly an off road hero?

These all factor in. if you’re getting 3 years or 30k, it could be ok, depending on your use case. if you’re going to keep mostly stock, not tune it, etc. and you’re not driving 20k miles / year, it could cover you in the event there’s something off.

My concern was tech, moon roof and the like, not so much powertrain but I’ve kept pretty close to the stock profile until it’s time to add another vehicle to the stable.

If you’re going to got nuts on mods, tune it, etc. don’t spend the money on the warranty.
This was a Ford motor company plan. I will be using it for just commuting. Unfortunately, it wont see much off-road use. The plan is to keep it stock.. for now... but we all know how hard that is to do!

Ultimately, I passed on the warranty. After having it for a month or two I might consider buying one from Zeigler once I get to know the vehicle more. Always fun buying a truck sight unseen!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a warranty. I did mine at 75k. 2017 here.

They did me for 125,000 miles for 1800. So basically 50,000 miles for 1800.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's expensive. Zeigler and Flood Ford will be cheaper. I just bought a warranty from Zeigler a few months back and although I didn't buy the "Bumper to Bumper" option, It was quoted to me at 2250$ for 5yr/50k miles. You're getting less and paying more. Tell the dealer to match Zeigler/Flood or decline and buy through them independently. My truck had about 10k more miles than yours will, so your warranty will likely be slightly cheaper than the 2250$.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score

Thanks!
Make sure you check Flood Ford or Ziegler for Ford premium ESP