Would like to Offroad with anyone in So. WY or No. CO.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorJoe92

Reaction score
Bumping this. I'm a new Raptor owner in Northern Colorado and would definitely like to meet up and explore with anyone in the area. Lots of trails near me are narrow even for the Jeeps and lots of the places I know that would be great Raptor terrain are all the way west almost to Utah. I don't have a ton of experience behind the wheel but have spent plenty of time as a passenger off-roading, 4-wheeling, rock-crawling, etc. and I can do a fair share of damage with a wrench in my hand.

I would be down to meet up with someone who knows some good Raptor trails, or meet up with someone else green and go find some! Northern Colorado, southern Wyoming...I'm flexible. Would be interested in day trips or possibly camping all weekend. Truck is mostly stock but I am well kitted with camping/survival gear. FWIW I'm a single 29 year old male and pretty easy-going. In my opinion our meet up gets even better if we integrate guns, beer, and maybe a joint before bed, but if those things aren't your cup of tea I can do without or keep them to myself. I do like to plan ahead at least a week or two but my summer/fall is pretty much wide open until elk season.

Let me know folks!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
North sand hills rec area is your best bet for some legal fun. You might check the Red Feather Lakes area. I haven't been up there for a while, but I remember it being dominated by dirt roads.

North eastern Colorado has plenty of dirt, mostly agricultural and rural lands; Pawnee grasslands area and east. Also plenty of public lands near Brush and Sterling. Good long range visibility out here.

To the northwest there is a ton of good stuff near Dinosaur crossing into Utah. Pretty much all of mesa county, book cliffs area is ripe with wide open deserts. County road 8 out of Yampa turns to dirt, its wide and has a ton of turns, really good raptor territory. The entire Steamboat area is rural and you can find some long stretches of dirt with good visibility.

Southwest you can run dirt from just outside of Gateway almost all the way into Moab. Nucla and Naturita are mining towns, there is a ton of wide open space in this region. The only warning on the southwest is be careful of what you are doing if you cross into the reservations.

I'm not real strong on the southeast part of the state. you can find plenty to do near Pinion Canyon, just be mindful of where you are. The entire Trinidad region, basically anything south of Pueblo has a lots of well maintained dirt roads, you just have to get away from the I25 corridor.

Central: There is some good low speed, wide road stuff near the mount Evans area, mostly old mining roads with nice scenery, county road 1068 is a good example, plenty wide for a raptor, good chance of seeing bighorn and goat. You can find a good play area at the top. Lots of beautiful area between Grant and Kenosha pass as well, there are some serious 4x4 trails in here, but they are well marked, if the trail marker advises not to take a wide vehicle in DO NOT TAKE A RAPTOR. Monarch pass area also has plenty to do, the Leadville region is also pretty good.

The complex of roads near Cheeseman reservoir is good. It starts out tight but opens up well, beware of the mule deer in here, there are large heards and they will stand in the middle of roads. There are some places where visibility is excellent, camping is generally forbidden so you will have a lot less traffic. There are some private land crossings with fairly possessive owners.

Lets not forget Pikes Peak... Its not all dirt but the top few miles are (this may have changed, verify) and the view from the top is pretty good.

Apex Colorado behind Blackhawk is also beautiful, there are some places you can stretch the legs a bit, but beware of some incredibly sharp turns, the road is not well marked and can surprise you, lots of blind angles so its best not to get too crazy. There are a lot of old mining roads throughout here, most are rough as hell but Raptor does well. Pickle gulch trail is raptor friendly, the only sticking spot in it is a tight hedgerow at the very beginning, but if you get through that you are golden, some technical stuff in there but bypasses are available. Just a good area to go out and explore. You should also be able to find plenty of delicious wild strawberries up there this time of year.

Generally if you want to go fast you need to be East of I25 or west of Rifle. There are too many trees and deep cuts in the mountains to see what is around corners.

Enough brain dump for now. If you want to know about a specific area post up, if I know it I will advise as best I can.

Last edited: