Would a Gen 3 V8 kill Gen 1 resale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanA

Reaction score
The relatively low production numbers of SVT Raptors is what will make the Gen 1 hold some value.
Since ford disbanded SVT, and made as many Gen 2 Raptor's as dealers could order, there are just less of the Gen 1 around. There is not as much competition when you are trying to sell them, so prices stay higher. Dealers used to get an allocation and would receive a couple Raptors a year to sell, now they just order as many as they want..

That being said, I don't think our trucks are being watched by any collector car people for an investment...Well at least none with miles and use.

Do you or anyone else know where I can find the actual production numbers by year for all Raptor years? I know there were a lot less Gen 1s flying out of the factory but I'd like to know exactly how many. 10 minutes spent on google turned up nothing...

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I often think the same thing, but then think, why would I want 2 of the same vehicle. Gotta mix it up. Wear the Gen 1 out, say you had your fun, move on :)

For those with "worn out" gen1s, Shoot me a pm with a price and location. If it has a blown motor or something else mechanical wrong, it makes it better.

Everyone needs a pipeline of project vehicles. :cool:

My take is that the Gen1s will always be special. They defined a new submarket and were the seed that started a rapid growth in a dirt motorsport that isn't Jeep or rock crawling focused.

They've become iconic and what any other similar-use vehicle is judged by, so they will hold value and eventually appreciate.

What will be difficult to understand is if the value only holds in pristine survivor examples that were locked in a garage, or if the "rules" are a little more fluid.

For me, and for a lot of people, a simple motor change ( or even a change to coil springs in the rear) arent going to incent armies of raptor owners to suddenly not value what they have.

If a motor swap can be done for 25-30K, and the truck is already riding on a built suspension, and someone comes out with a conversion front clip...

Why would someone start over completely? Especially considering what a cage, a full suspension, and all of the supporting mods cost.

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those with "worn out" gen1s, Shoot me a pm with a price and location. If it has a blown motor or something else mechanical wrong, it makes it better.

My take is that the Gen1s will always be special. They defined a new submarket and were the seed that started a rapid growth in a dirt motorsport that isn't Jeep or rock crawling focused.

They've become iconic and what any other similar-use vehicle is judged by, so they will hold value and eventually appreciate.

What will be difficult to understand is if the value only holds in pristine survivor examples that were locked in a garage, or if the "rules" are a little more fluid.

For me, and for a lot of people, a simple motor change ( or even a change to coil springs in the rear) arent going to incent armies of raptor owners to suddenly not value what they have.

If a motor swap can be done for 25-30K, and the truck is already riding on a built suspension, and someone comes out with a conversion front clip...

Why would someone start over completely? Especially considering what a cage, a full suspension, and all of the supporting mods cost.

@zombiekiller - Dave, are you looking for a Screw or Scab. Just recently saw one with front end damage online at IAAI

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a Gen 2.1 V8 having any impact to the prices of your typical used Gen 1. Those are two completely different markets/buyers.

If you've got a super clean, very low mileage and completely original Roush or Shelby from 2013 or 2014 that today may still be able to command a premium, those trucks may take a small hit.

Side note: if anyone knows where any of the 2014 Baja 700 trucks landed I would like to know.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

All of your comments apply, if you live in a climate where calcium chloride and brine are NOT used. For those of us in the north, you fight not only mechanical wear and degradation, but also chemical warfare on your frame and body, which can eventually ruin even the best cared for vehicle.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of your comments apply, if you live in a climate where calcium chloride and brine are NOT used. For those of us in the north, you fight not only mechanical wear and degradation, but also chemical warfare on your frame and body, which can eventually ruin even the best cared for vehicle.

Not if you don't drive it in that shit. I'd say there's an average of about 20 days per winter where the roads are both wet and have salt on them. My Raptor is not used on those days.