Worth Upgrading between 2018 and 2019/20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm not unhappy, I just know that if I get into the Gen 3, I will never have owned the second half of the Gen 2s.

Are you trying to own every version of Raptor that ever existed or something like that? I'm not seeing why never owning a 2019-20 Gen 2 would be a big disappointment once you have a Gen 3.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go the rest of your life... Without ever owning that Gen2.5.... it will eat at you. It will eat at your very soul!!! Probably not really.

I drove both back to back. Honestly no major difference. A few more extra features. But off-road they were both awesome. The Gen 2.5 had a one inch slump in the back right. It didn't sit even. Glad it wasn't mine. Warranty fix I am sure. Just more stuff to break or malfunction.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it unless I was filthy rich.

You could always get 19/20 take offs and run the eclick and have an even better setup than the 19 and ups and you can update your radio to the newest sync version as well for free. (3.4)

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this was the answer I was expecting. I do have an allocation and order in on a 22 at MSRP so I will just continue to wait it out. I have the modification bug real bad so that's more my reason for looking into a change.
If you’re going to mod the truck that you’re going to trade for the Gen 3 in a year, there is definitely no point to getting a 19/20.

I love my 19 with the Recaro’s, but I don’t think I would spend an extra $10k while I’m waiting for the new truck.

I would actually consider getting something like a Z06, or 911 to scratch a fast car itch while you wait for the Raptor. Makes no sense to swap for another Gen 2 in my opinion.

raptor556

Reaction score
Definitely a loaded question. I have a 2018 and to me, there is not enough to make me want to switch to a Gen 3. I can add a rear 5 link for less than the ADM. The other stuff is lost on me.

But you gotta be happy with what you drive. If you want the Gen 3, I would just keep the current Gen 2, and start a Gen 3 build list. Maybe start collecting universal parts for the Gen 3, like lights.
i'm mostly with this guy.

You might as well spend that inevitable adm money on what you have now, if at all. not to mention a chunk of sales tax money.

so I'll say it. going from a 17/18 to a 19/20 is dumb unless you have the cash to wipe your ass with $20's

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from a 2018 to a 2020, I started getting cam phaser rattle on 2018 w/ 40k miles, truck got totaled & I got a end of the run 2020 b/c 2021 My Gen3 not an option @ the time.

I do think it’s worth it since I didn’t really have to pay anything & had a lil issue w/ my 2018 (also altho I had no issues w/ my pano roof on my 18 I opted to go w/o it on 2020 but that’s got nothing to do w/ gen2 vs Gen3) my 2018 wasn’t loaded was an 801a w/ factory NaV (big screen) & other options but the 2020 they added more stuff standard to 801a trim
Like the bigger DIC- which I like, but yours is fully loaded so not as much an issue.

If you have no issue w/ your 2018 I’d just hold it and wait for your Gen3

I wouldn’t get a Gen3 until they start up
On the 2023 MY I am all set being fords free real world Guinea pig on Gen3 redesign.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 and have perused a buddy's 2019 and nothing there I feel like I am missing, and actually glad I don't have the Live valve shocks-more to go wrong, and if you really want a shock upgrade, simply buy Fox 3.0s. As for the Sync 3, my 2018 has the Sync 3, so not sure what you have in yours, so other than the additional off road mode and wifi hotspot, nothing to see my $0.02.

BWorkman

Reaction score
If you really want the live valve shocks, look at the SDI Eclick. You can add the live valves to the 17/18 Raptor with their kit. Going to be doing that myself soon. Cheaper then full coilovers, and will ride better than the stock 19/20 live valve because of the ecu logic they have built in. Hardest part is sourcing the shocks…

PCDESERTstyle

Reaction score
I have stock 2019 live valves for sale with stock springs and eibachs for $2600. Only 19,000 miles on them. Pick up only Socal