Working on some paddle shifters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anymore progress on the paddle shifters?

A little progress is being made. The holiday months really made things slow down a bit.

Right now we are working to figure the internals out and are looking at a few different switch options. Wont be anything crazy as the internals will be fairly simple.

I am looking at getting a F150 clock spring this weekend to assess the wiring that will need to go through the steering column.

Maybe within the next week or so, I will try to get a model of the wheel to place the paddles on.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update. Just messing with the design of the paddle to spice it up a little.

Took a few ideas from one of new raptors paddles shifters and will work from that. (Shown below)

Also just stuck the model on a generic steering wheel to get an idea of what it would look like.

Next plan is to laser scan a 3d model of an actual steering wheel to get a much more accurate representation of the install and figure out the ergonomics.

View attachment 80874

View attachment 80875

View attachment 80876

Here's a crazy idea... what about getting a Gen2 steering wheel and trying to install it in a Gen1? By looking at it, it seems to fit. The Gen2 receiving base seems to be pretty close in size to Gen1. The paddles already come attached to the steering wheel. However, the signal wiring and electronics is most likely different and it may not work.. what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a crazy idea... what about getting a Gen2 steering wheel and trying to install it in a Gen1? By looking at it, it seems to fit. The Gen2 receiving base seems to be pretty close in size to Gen1. The paddles already come attached to the steering wheel. However, the signal wiring and electronics is most likely different and it may not work.. what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely thought about this already. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be a cheap solution. I am however interested in the clock ring that the new models may be using.
If the ones currently installed on Gen 1 cant support additional wiring, I may need to look elsewhere.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subbed, Master shift was blue tooth and to slow of a response for offroad use. Needs to be the same response as the selector on the shifter.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there was a video on Instagram of a guy with a working gen2 wheel on a gen1 and the paddles worked, but I think some buttons didn't..

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get back on this. I did see that gen 2 wheel being installed but man they are expensive. I just need to dive into the wiring on the gen 1 wheel and see what I can do with the stock clock spring.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself and @SVT_Mayo have been working on this for sometime. Paddle shifters are the easy part. They work perfect with the Gen 2 wheel, but the controls are not compatible. I’m still trying to locate someone in the electronic world that can shed some light on this and if it’s even possible to get the controls to work. So far it’s not looking good.

Would be nice if someone would produce paddle shifters that could attach to the Gen 1 wheel and be hard wired in.