Won't shift out of 4 low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
If you threw a wrench light I would take it in. Might not get the exact answer you want but as long as it won't cost anything to you its worth it. Since your wrench light illuminated I'm sure you will have a chassis code related to the 4wd in your system. It will at least give you an idea if something happens again.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your wrench light illuminated I'm sure you will have a chassis code related to the 4wd in your system. It will at least give you an idea if something happens again.

Would something like that show as a DTC on the Nav Bezel Diagnostics?

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues over the weekend. I put the truck in 4 lo to crawl a loose and rutted hill and was unable to get it back to 4HI or 2wd. I would shift to neutral and move the selector to 4HI or 2wd and the drive train would stay in neutral. The display was showing the SHIFT DELAYED PULL FORWARD message and attempting to pull forward, just made the engine rev. At one point the speed-o indicated 75mph with the truck idling! I got to perfectly flat ground and was then able to get it back in 2wd. I have no wrench or any type of code being thrown and the truck seems to be fine now.

I'm hesitant to go to the dealer with out some type of code showing. Any advice?

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not 100% but I think even if it did show they should be able to see it but won't fix anything just clear it. what I would do is try 4Lo and see if it throws the wrench again. Id do it at or by the dealer. If you have a great dealer call and give them a head's up.

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@602Raptor You where in the water some time that day or the day before weren't you? Even just one splash?

There is a wiring connector near the transfer case shift motor. When puddle jumping, this plug may get wet. Water gets inside the plug and ***** with the electronics. That is what happened to me in Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine.

The above incident netted me a new TC shift motor, I got the same results not too long after.

On the way to a trail run near Black Canyon City, I was in a massive downpour on I-17. When I needed 4wd.......nothing. I crawled under to find that connector, pulled it apart, four quarts of water dumped out of that tiny connector. I dried it out as best I could, CLICK, shifted fine.

There was no dielectric grease in the connector. I packed it full and have been good ever since.

Look into that connector or hit the TC shift motor with a rock.

Last edited:

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, great info! I did the backway to Crown King and there was a little water that day, and my truck has been in deeper water and tons of mud earlier in the year.

Can someone link me to some dielectric grease they are happy with and I'll order some. I'm planning on maintenance next weekend and will get to it.

I love this forum!

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@602Raptor You where in the water some time that day or the day before weren't you? Even just one splash?

There is a wiring connector near the transfer case shift motor. When puddle jumping, this plug may get wet. Water gets inside the plug and ***** with the electronics. That is what happened to me in Mr. Peabody's WABAC machine.

The above incident netted me a new TC shift motor, I got the same results not too long after.

On the way to a trail run near Black Canyon City, I was in a massive downpour on I-17. When I needed 4wd.......nothing. I crawled under to find that connector, pulled it apart, four quarts of water dumped out of that tiny connector. I dried it out as best I could, CLICK, shifted fine.

There was no dielectric grease in the connector. I packed it full and have been good ever since.

Look into that connector or hit the TC shift motor with a rock.

I'm having the same issue. There's a wire that connects to the back of the transfer case that came loose. Ford says it's the internal case ground and I had the same symptoms of the guy above where the truck would go through the gears and go to 60+ at idle. Gonna get it fixed by ford Tuesday.