GEN 2 Wireless charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually can't stand carplay because it doesn't support waze. I don't use it.

I agree. I have an iPhone and almost never use CarPlay. I stream audio over Bluetooth all the time, but I don’t always want to be plugged in and the lack of support for Waze and other aps makes it pretty pointless as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear apple has finally incorporated retinal scan as a security sign in option, can't wait till Android gets that...oh wait, we've had that and finger scan for years now...

Redleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being the noob that I am, I have to ask, what is the free jimbo reference to?

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it when people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to mobile phones.

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor

Samsung once again is at the top of the smartphone market share, but hey, Apple fanbois love to spew misleading data they know nothing about..... because everyone THEY know has iThings! I wonder why all premium Samsung smartphones have Qi charging capabilities, and have had them since my 2013 S4 with the wireless charging backplate, but just now Apple makes it "a huge deal." Over here thinking wireless charging pads were included in Ford vehicles JUST BECAUSE of Apple adopting it knowing the data being there are many times more Qi chargers on the market than any other form. Same thing with contactless payment processing, almost the same amount of time Android phones have had that ability but yet everyone wants to think Apple Pay is the only one being used - here's a hint, Samsung Pay blows it out of the water being offered in 5 times as many places.

BUT THE BEST part of the first comment was the budget phone techie comment! Every Samsung I've owned has been priced the same or more than the top of the line iThing - my current Note8 was $949 at ATT, but yeah, we're all about that budget life owning this budget truck, right @Ironhorse07?

:flipthebird: @jaz13

ANYWAYS, it isn't a d!ck measuring competition here, no need to attempt to insult those who are smarter, more technologically advanced, "techies" as you called us.... I have used and am continuing to use cable charging for my Note8 because I use a secondary device in the console for dedicated Android Auto duty (a Moto G4). I like wireless charging, but even with the best pads, they can be finicky enough on a table to contact the induction plates, I wouldn't want it to go over a bump and not be able to charge....

My advice is and always will be CraigsDocks. They may not work for those "budget Android users" though because of the price, but when you own a premium smartphone, this is what you get.... :biggrin:

Info for those "that are smarter":

He's not wrong. Per Android Authority and Forbes, 2017 is the widest margin for phone prices yet in history between iPhone and Samsung. The average price of iPhones sold through 2Q 2017 is $692. The average price of Samsung phones sold in the same time is $227. That means even if Samsung did surpass iPhone slightly per volume this past qtr, the vast majority are low end phones to bring the avg price that low.

You can also see this in OS adoption rate. The newest high end Samsung phones (i.e. Note 8, S8, S8+) will be loaded with the newest software (Oreo or last year's Nougat). Currently (as of Oct 2017), Oreo adoption is only on .02 percent of Android phones (after 1 month). The older Nougat is only on 17%. That means over 80 percent have 2 years or older phones or low end phones which don't come with the top OS. So no need to belittle the guy who brought this up. What he said is empirically true.

As for contactless payments, I don't know anyone who says Apple Pay is the only one used. However, it does lead the industry. Currently Apple Pay has been adopted by 36% of vendors in the US and is accepted by more banks than any other contactless payment. That is followed by PayPal at 34%, MasterCard PayPass at 25%, Andoid Pay at 24%, Visa Checkout at 20%, and Samsung Pay at 18%. Google Wallet was out long before Apple Pay. It was just that so few people used it, it was inconsequential and not very secure. After Apple lined up the banks to fall behind it's tokenization system for contactless payments, people started using it. Google then came out with "Android Pay" which also used this system followed by Samsung with "Samsung Pay" (they could have at least come up with something a little different naming wise that wouldn't allude to Apple Pay).

As for Samsung Pay being offered at "5 times the places", I don't have the stats but you're probably right. Outside of the 18% adoption mentioned above, you can use the old magnetic strip. However by law, all merchants are to have gone to chip based systems by the end of this year. Also, by using it at a place other than an adopted place, you are not using the tokenization system but rather giving the merchant your credit card/payment info just as if you had swiped your card. You are also projecting it so someone with a scanner could intercept it (a big security reason why all machines are being mandated to go to the chip ID).

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I hear apple has finally incorporated retinal scan as a security sign in option, can't wait till Android gets that...oh wait, we've had that and finger scan for years now...

Redleg, you heard wrong. Apple has not "finally incorporated retinal scan as a security sign in option." They have created face ID which puts out 30k infrared mapping dots to create a 3D image of a persons face. Unlike the face ID type system Samsung has which creates a 2D photo like representation which can be fooled by a simple photo put in front of it. The retinal scan is secure but it is much slower and clumsier to use than Face ID.

As for finger scan, a little history. On July 28, 2012, Apple bought a company named Authen Tec which had patents in fingerprint technology. On July 13, 2013, Samsung chased after what Apple was doing and purchased a company (through Synaptics) also with patents in fingerprint technology named Validity. The first phone to come out with a fingerprint scan as you said, was Moto but you had to roll your finger over the scanner and it was very hit or miss. Other companies adopted this. Apple was the first to come out with Touch ID. Shortly thereafter it was Samsung followed by others who got rid of the rolling fingerprint scan and adopted their versions of touch ID.

Redleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOOF, we have surpassed my knowledge data base for this topic. I'm a techie, but for sure I'm not a techie historian, but I do love making fun of Apple users, not because the technology is less advanced, or that it's bad, because let's face it, the people developing and marketing that stuff are a heck of a lot smarter than me. It's very similar to making fun of Marines, they get pissy when you do, but dammit, in a firefight, it's always good to have a Jarhead or a group of them close by. Not that I think Apple people will come to your rescue in a firefight, they'll be too busy sitting in the fast lane at 60 in their Prius. See, it's fun.

Last edited:

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm an iphone convert. I was, and generally still am, macaphobic. My job is all about discovering electronic evidence and there's nothing worse than a mac when it comes to what i do. My company switched to iphone 4's back in the day as a company provided device. Over time the company switched to BYOD and between the fact that my iphones always work, always, and not caring to try to relearn another phone type I'm waiting on my 5th iphone, the iphone X. Everyone has a preference, and quite simply, mine is that there's never ever been an issue with an iphone functioning. Other phones are probably great, maybe better, but not better for me.

back to topic, i bought 3 of these. I'm going to see if there's something i can do to mod it and put it in the center console front well. If not, cheap as hell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D4KQD1/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Redleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had time to do some research and figured out Jimbo was banned for life. Holy shit, what did he do?? Life...**** man, that's Stanley steamer type shit right there.