Wireless carplay rarely works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmwtech113

Reaction score
CarPlay definitely isn't a perfect system. Mine does connect most of the time but I did have issues at first. After I restarted my phone and re-paired, it has worked better. I wish it would automatically go to the CarPlay screen when I start the truck instead of the Sync home screen.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarPlay definitely isn't a perfect system. Mine does connect most of the time but I did have issues at first. After I restarted my phone and re-paired, it has worked better. I wish it would automatically go to the CarPlay screen when I start the truck instead of the Sync home screen.
I am going to pop in this thread.. I was starting to talk about it in the Forscan thread thinking maybe associated with doing that. It is not.

to your comment @Bmwtech113 it used to load up on carplay screen every time with my truck. I have an 11 promax, now on 15.7 OS, and a 22 truck built in march or so..

first two weeks, flawless (for lack of better desc. lol ) and then.. all of the sudden. it stopped linking. I deleted the two phones i had paired, and started it again.
It worked..foooorrr another few hours. next morning, no go.. after that.. it just wont do it any more. So I 'updated' to 15.7 from 15.6... and still nothing. even with the usb. AND 'forgetting' the phone and/or the truck.. tried it from both sides, even did a few resets on the ACIM by the power/skip fwd combo press. and still nothing.

Friend who took delivery on his raptor earlier in the year, has had no issues he says. I forgot to ask which phone he has.. but nonetheless, he's had no issues.

Friend in Florida took deliver on a 21 in January, and has no issues either. says he has the 13 on the 16 OS...

this has to be a software thing. In the forscan side of this topic, someone had beeped in saying it's an outside source interference on the 5g band.. referring to airports. I get that, and that would make more sense, however, i am not near any kind of antenna system, much less an airport..no depot yards, or dispatching places..

@FordTechOne what's the story with carplay? any insight whatsoever on it?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Mine connects every single time. Only issue I have had was when I left the truck running with my wife in it and went into the grocery store. Due to the distance, Carplay disconnected. When I got back into the truck, it did not reconnect. Got home and left again later where it reconnected upon startup. Iphone 12 w/IOS 16.0

Be sure you have bluetooth set to on in your settings. Also, You cannot be using wi-fi at the same time, I believe.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Be sure you have bluetooth set to on in your settings. Also, You cannot be using wi-fi at the same time, I believe.
Bluetooth starts the handoff - runs on wifi (you can not connect to another wifi while car play is enabled. You can shut off bluetooth after it connects (I do this when I am at a clients house and using AirPods with watch and leave phone in truck so Airpods will not jump between phone and watch). Also CarPlay runs completely from the iPhone, it is not part of the vehicle. It is just a handshake from device to vehicle. In other words there is no "CarPlay" software in your vehicle. It is completely run from iOS.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.. thanks.. of course I have the bluetooth on..and the phone auto 'mutes' the wifi part.. it still even tries to connect. go into settings where it shows it's connected, has an option to 'connect to carplay' even after the initial pairing. this is the problem.. shows the phone, says it's an option, yet, will not connect.

further more, when I gave up on it and just started using the Btooth byitself.. sync is ..ahem ' not allowed access to your messages, please make sure to allow access in your phone..' there is no such option in phone nor the truck for that alone.

but in short.. my carplay worked just fine until two weeks ago
Mine connects every single time. Only issue I have had was when I left the truck running with my wife in it and went into the grocery store. Due to the distance, Carplay disconnected. When I got back into the truck, it did not reconnect. Got home and left again later where it reconnected upon startup. Iphone 12 w/IOS 16.0

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth starts the handoff - runs on wifi (you can not connect to another wifi while car play is enabled. You can shut off bluetooth after it connects (I do this when I am at a clients house and using AirPods with watch and leave phone in truck so Airpods will not jump between phone and watch). Also CarPlay runs completely from the iPhone, it is not part of the vehicle. It is just a handshake from device to vehicle. In other words there is no "CarPlay" software in your vehicle. It is completely run from iOS.
so with that said.. it is the phone's 'fault' then? that's how i understood it to work anyway, but it's not helping me at all. lol

should be using OS 16 then? why would it have worked last week and not after? only then did I update the phone to 15.7 thinking it may be a software issue on the phone..

the 11 can't be old enough where they'd push that out.... oorrr woould theeyy?? arrgghh apply you ba*tardddss

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Okay, I figured the bluetooth portion was obvious, but you never know. Couple of other things to check....Siri should be on for Carplay. Also, in some way or form, Carplay may have been turned into a restricted function. If you go to Settings>Screen Time>Content and Privacy Restrictions>Allowed Apps, you can check to make sure Carplay is allowed. If Screen time is not set up, it is allowed. You can also try disabling the EQ in Settings>Music>EQ. If you are using a VPN, that could also interfere with Carplay. Otherwise, update to the most current IOS, forget your car in Carplay and set it up again from scratch.

Last edited: