winter tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mrl

Reaction score
But they qualify as "winter tires" because of the snow peak logo...for places with ****-like governments like where I live that FORCE you to put these kinds of tires on your vehicle...or face a hefty fine.

i look at it this way
if the"nazis" hadnt made the emblem manditory.
i would not have had looked for new tires.
i would not have discovered the hakkas.
and would not now be grinning and tearing through the snow covered streets of mtl like a battle tank in operation
get brat to daycare :)

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to comment on this. The GY Duratac is a great tire summer and winter. It is not a true snow tire but does have the benefit of the snow mtn symbol. It is better then the stock BFG in the snow and ice. All of my research tells me not to lower the rolling diameter of a tire on newer vehicles because of the ABS, traction control and stability system and in the case of the Raptor off road mode as well.

Hakka makes some of the best snow tires on the market and if I can get them in the same rolling diameter I will buy it for next year since my GYs only have 7k on them they will become my summers. I have always had summer and winter tires for my daily drivers and some of my friends don't understand why I would change tires if you have a vehicle that has AWD or 4WD until I leave them in the snow dust.

They have more sipes and a winter rubber compound, no studs here in MI for me. They look very good.

Last edited:

mwakgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is basically anyone that thinks all-season/terrain/weather tires even with a snowflake symbol are good enough has no experience with actual snow tires. I just got my Exo Grapplers and they are much better than the stock BFGs on icy roads but I'm sure these Hakkas are way better. I had those on my STI and they were like Velcro on frosty pavement. I needed more ground clearance and got the truck but it will never compare in winter road traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am saying the Duratrac is better then the BFG, but a true winter would be better still. As for experience with winter tires I have found that some people have a hard time perceiving the difference between different tires in the winter segment let alone any segment. I have tested winter tires for almost 25 years and found that some are better then others but all true winter tires are better then all seasons. Sometimes one tire works better then the other in a certain car. The winter tire symbol does not make a true winter tire on its own but it will help.

I know people that think a MT tire is good in the winter!! But it don't ague anymore to each his own.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is basically anyone that thinks all-season/terrain/weather tires even with a snowflake symbol are good enough has no experience with actual snow tires. I just got my Exo Grapplers and they are much better than the stock BFGs on icy roads but I'm sure these Hakkas are way better. I had those on my STI and they were like Velcro on frosty pavement. I needed more ground clearance and got the truck but it will never compare in winter road traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I had dedicated winters on my STI hatch, Dunlop M3's in my case. My wife wondered why until I told her to take my car one really snowy morning so she could get to rounds. She came back and said "I will never doubt you again".

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am saying the Duratrac is better then the BFG, but a true winter would be better still. As for experience with winter tires I have found that some people have a hard time perceiving the difference between different tires in the winter segment let alone any segment. I have tested winter tires for almost 25 years and found that some are better then others but all true winter tires are better then all seasons. Sometimes one tire works better then the other in a certain car. The winter tire symbol does not make a true winter tire on its own but it will help.

I know people that think a MT tire is good in the winter!! But it don't ague anymore to each his own.

If you are driving in deep heavy pacific northwest snow they are :ROFLJest:

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive northern ontario ice roads on my 40 inch kevlat MTRs. love them never had a issue. but then again i never had a issue on a ice road running mud grapplers.

depends how you drive then.