Winter tires other than Nokian LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORTrux

Reaction score
I live in the PNW and I'm a big skiier. While KO2s are techincally winter-rated and might do OK in states with dry/cold snow, the Northwest gets wet/heavy snow and marginal temps that means heavily traveled roads to/from ski resorts turn into brutally slick ice rinks. Anything short of good studless winters/studs and it gets hairy. It's sort of manageable in a smaller AWD vehicle if you're very careful, but even then it can get so slick that if you're not running a serious winter tire, you'll slide off the road just from the banking in corners if traffic comes to stop (have seen easily 20-30 cars in one day in this state.)

Anyway, suffice to say KO2s on a 6000lb truck on icy days here are not fun. Coming from a sportscar with great winters, it sucks the fun right out of the drive up - managed through once but only after doing several 200 yard long four wheel drifts up a banked turn. I finally was ready to pull the trigger on Nokian LT3's after hearing a lot of praise but ran into a major issue: The factory was in Russia and they've closed it. So there's none left and none coming any time soon.

Has anyone used any other snow tire in the stock size that is worth it's weight? I have another vehicle shod with winters I can use but it'll be a shame to ditch what is otherwise the ideal ski truck.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone else made a dedicated winter tire in the 315/70/17 size. I love my Nokians. I completely understand what you mean (I live in WI and came from MN). KO2’s are hot garbage on ice/packed snow.

My back up would be Duratracs if I didn’t have the Nokians.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Falken AT3W is probably my favorite AT for the snow with the full depth sipes but def not a snow tire. Not sure if you want to go the studded route but General ATX is studable. The Cooper MT and Firestone Destination MT is also studable. MT with studs is probably the ultimate combo. Wide tread voids for the deep stuff and studs for the ice.

jvike

Reaction score
The Nokians are a great tire, good grip on ice, but the studs won't stop you from sailing on wet ice. Also not the best to dig into deep snow. I have an Audi Q7 hybrid that weighs about the same as the Raptor, but thay are not comparable when it comes to steering feel and feedback. The huge 70 profile make them a bit floaty, while the Q7 has air suspension, 20" rims and a 50 profile. Much higher feeling of control. The floaty suspension of the Raptor might play into this also. So it is what it is. But I do recommend them if you can get them :)
651_1348800202.jpg

4DPWR

Reaction score
The Nokians are a great tire, good grip on ice, but the studs won't stop you from sailing on wet ice. Also not the best to dig into deep snow. I have an Audi Q7 hybrid that weighs about the same as the Raptor, but thay are not comparable when it comes to steering feel and feedback. The huge 70 profile make them a bit floaty, while the Q7 has air suspension, 20" rims and a 50 profile. Much higher feeling of control. The floaty suspension of the Raptor might play into this also. So it is what it is. But I do recommend them if you can get them :)
View attachment 383107
Are they the 315/70R17 ?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a set on my 2020 I kept from my 2018 that was totaled have em on a set of 2018 based 17” wheels. I live in New England & also chase the winter storms as a skier- the Nokians are awesome on this truck, I had em studded but have since removed b/c the studs were chewing up my concrete driveway (you can alleviate by really avoiding turning wheel much when not moving but is what it is) - even w/o the studs the nokians are great b/c of the softer compound & siping, they do OK off-road in snow too but if you can’t get the nokians now I’d recommend the wrangler duratracs & ge have em studded

I believe they carry the snowflake symbol & im pretty sure have some good siping on the treads, but w/ studs they’d give you that added confidence on the ice

Problem w/ the Raptor in heavy snow/slush is the tires are so damn wide they tend to get packed & float,

Josh84

Reaction score
Goodyear Duratracs are my favorite winter tire and are awesome in deep snow and on ice. As mentioned above you can put studs in them if desired.