Winter tire advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice...you'll love the Duratracs...had them on my old truck and will consider them again when my stockers wear out..those of the toyo mts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my duratracs on for a week or so now but in that time we've experienced 3 seasons of weather. Love them! Especially good on ice. Stop really well and starting out in 2nd you barely slip. Highway ride is great. Running 46psig cold.

ShiftyCapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the General Altimax Arctic tires on my 03 Stratus r/t for winter tires. They are absolutely amazing on that little shit kicker! But a 285/70R17 would look a bit out of place on a Raptor.....

CCMDoc

Reaction score
Ive had Duratracs on my Wranglers, H3 and H2 as well as BFG A/Ts we have on our Raptors. Also have used General Grabber AT II as well as the usual Off Road M/T tires usually put on off road vehicles.

In wet, heavy compacting snow all of these do just fine if I did my part and drove sensibly.

On powder especially if there is ice or if it rains and the temperature drops so that the surface freezes, Duratracs > General Grabber AT II >>>>>> BFG A/T.

But NOTHING compares to Blizzak tires in these latter conditions. Even other pure winter tires I've tried from Michelin and Dunlop weren't as good - but I tried those on cars not trucks so may not be a fair comparison. Haks might be as good but on the one car I put them on - BMW E28 - I wasn't impressed.

I put a set of Blizzak DM V1 in 285/70-16 on my '14 Raptor and yes they are "small" compared to the stockers.

But I'm whitetail hunting with my dad and the boys in NW PA and the roads are like polished glass. Again I try to drive sensibly but I was happy to hear and feel the ABS working when I mashed the brake pedal and grabbed a handful of steering wheel as the Silverado in front of me started to go sideways. I've had the same good experiences with all of the other trucks and cars I've put various Blizzak tires on.

Studs are better and Chains are better yet but I haven't gotten my chains yet and am still a bit concerned even these tires might be too big to use them safely.

I have nothing to do with any tire company or business that sells, buys, advertises, etc tires or cars or anything to do with them. Just my personal experience with tires and driving in the Northeastern US.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Studs are illegal here in IL.

However, the DuraTracs will be here Monday! I know they won't compare to the countless sets of Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Xice3's, or Dunlop Winter Sports I've run in the past, but they'll surely get the job done.