Winter Cleaning and maintenance-need some guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While my new Gen 3 on 37s is great, looks like my drive thru car wash is now out with the added height of my truck. I am about to turn my outside water off for this season and curious how everyone takes care of their truck this time of year that deals with winter issues outside of having it detailed or not doing anything. Looking for something that is quick and easy if at all possible. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

OP
OP
K

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woolwax if you’re in the salt belt.
I am…Will def check it out. I looked at the waterless carwash products…are these really just for tune up washes. If you have salt, sand, dirt all over your car am assuming that this is not the right way to go…

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never shut off my outside spigot in winter. I have frost free spigots and as long as you don’t have a hose right water right to the spigot, you will be fine. I run water all winter for my 80x36 back yard hockey rink to refinish it.

They also make a foam cover which you can put on the outside or the house to further help.

Otherwise you are relegated to the indoor hand car washes or the spray wand places.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Woolwax like Johnny said for underneath, and ceramic coating on the paint helps a lot. I had a pro shop do my WoolWax, he gets it inside the frame rails and in every nook and cranny.

The first picture is my truck after a full day and part of a night of snow fun, the second is after the truck sat in my garage overnight and was not touched before I took the second picture.

1637112185248.jpeg

1637112231208.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woolwax like Johnny said for underneath, and ceramic coating on the paint helps a lot. I had a pro shop do my WoolWax, he gets it inside the frame rails and in every nook and cranny.

The first picture is my truck after a full day and part of a night of snow fun, the second is after the truck sat in my garage overnight and was not touched before I took the second picture.

View attachment 329960

View attachment 329961
Wow that is awesome. How involved is the ceramic application and any products you recommend and time commitment? Really appreciate the help all. I used to do work on my Gen 1 but was basic washes and wax prep for winter. When I got my Gen 2 we moved into the house and just relied on the hand wash place and a detail before and after the weather but this Gen 3 just seems to be calling me to do the work myself. Not sure why, but really want to take care of this and have some time but not too much time to do the work.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome. How involved is the ceramic application and any products you recommend and time commitment? Really appreciate the help all. I used to do work on my Gen 1 but was basic washes and wax prep for winter. When I got my Gen 2 we moved into the house and just relied on the hand wash place and a detail before and after the weather but this Gen 3 just seems to be calling me to do the work myself. Not sure why, but really want to take care of this and have some time but not too much time to do the work.
a pro grade ceramic is best left to the pros ,I think I paid 1100 ,with paint correction

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
a pro grade ceramic is best left to the pros ,I think I paid 1100 ,with paint correction
Agree to a point. As in of you can buff and clay bar ect this isn’t really hard to do just really time consuming. I use this stuff and it works pretty good.

Wool wax is a gtg product and its used on my truck. Messy and also time consuming to do right. Lol

OP
OP
K

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree to a point. As in of you can buff and clay bar ect this isn’t really hard to do just really time consuming. I use this stuff and it works pretty good.

Wool wax is a gtg product and its used on my truck. Messy and also time consuming to do right. Lol
Thanks. As a fellow Northeasterner the next 5 months are brutal on our trucks. Then comes summer salt and sand time too! Will def check this out.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first got my truck, I had a shop do a full paint correction, PPF on the front, lower sides, and mirrors, and Ceramic Pro coating on top of everything. I also had ceramic window tint done to keep the interior protected. Then I had a shop Line-X the rear wheel wells, and had another shop do the WoolWax that fall. I knew I was keeping this for a long time, so I didn't mind the expense. VERY happy with everything and would do it again, as long as I know it's a keeper.

Last edited: