GEN 1 Windshield Fluid Pump Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCR 223

Reaction score
My windshield pump stopped working...

a little back story: I replaced my front aux lights 2 weeks ago with some white driving and amber fog lights (diode dynamics pro) on my 13screw. awesome lights by the way. The next rain day I ran my fogs and the fuse popped on the upfitter 4 switch (running 2 fog lights) with a max draw of 5.4 amps. found out the fuse was a 5 amp and replaced it with a 10 amp (as per the manual). lights are back and working without issues.

then i tried to spray some fluid on my windshield and it would not spray. The windshield wipers work but when I press the button in for some windshield juice, it doesn't spray and no motor pump sound, just wipers doing there 3 swipe cycle.

I did power test (fuse tester) at the fluid pump connection and is shows it has power (enough to light up the tester bulb), plugged in and tested the new pump and still doesn't work... i have seen threads that say the upfitter relay for switch 4 may be tied into the wiper fluid pump (hints the fog light back story). also heard it could be a relay... not sure. here is some fuse/relay info from the manual, and where i plan to continue to chase the dragon.

Manual shows:
Main power dis. box
fuse# - components - amp rating
28 - upfitter 4 - 10a (replaced fuse)
41 - front camera washer - 15a
49 - wiper relay power -
54 - lots of stuff w/ front camera washer relay coil - 5a
62 - wiper motor relay - no rating

Raptor aux. box
5-front camera washer relay- no rating

here is a link from another FRF thread that had the same problem. it is old and i posted in hope of a replay.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...eld-washer-not-functioning.39071/#post-787770

said he got it fixed by Ford and it was a wiper relay. Im looking for some more info. what relay was it? anyone else have this issue? any ideas?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wiper relay is unrelated to the upfitter relays. If the wiper relay was not functioning, both the wiper and washer would be inoperable, as the relay provides power to the wiper motor.

Did you verify that there is ground present on Pin 2 of C137 (washer pump connector)?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
maybe a dumb question, but did you blow the lines out with air? the lines and nozzles get clogged pretty easily.

Perhaps disconnected one of the lines when you worked on it last?

OP
OP
TCR 223

TCR 223

Reaction score
maybe a dumb question, but did you blow the lines out with air? the lines and nozzles get clogged pretty easily.

Perhaps disconnected one of the lines when you worked on it last?
the lines are not the issue (yet). i cant get the pump to run at all. i bought another pump and plugged it in and it still did not run. getting the pump to run is task number one. once i hear the pump buzzing i will move on from there. checking grounding and voltage ant the plug connection next.

OP
OP
TCR 223

TCR 223

Reaction score
The wiper relay is unrelated to the upfitter relays. If the wiper relay was not functioning, both the wiper and washer would be inoperable, as the relay provides power to the wiper motor.

Did you verify that there is ground present on Pin 2 of C137 (washer pump connector)?

thanks for the info, only electrical test i did was with an old fuse tester. hooked it to ground and tapped the positive leg at the pump connection and got the light to turn on. i think it under voltage so it wont run the pump. there has to be a split or a separate relay somewhere between the fluid button on the turn signal and the wipers. since the button for the fluid is momentary (the longer you hold it down, the more fluid it sprays) and the wiper repay which runs the wipers 3 cycles after just pressing the button.

Going to check grounding and voltage at the pump plug this afternoon then work back from there. just got to pop out the passenger headlight and i will be good to go. stand by for results...