Winches?! Who has one? What do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Montgomery

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
If you’re somebody who really takes your truck off the beaten path, a winch is a great investment. I bought my last truck (2012 Power Wagon) partially because it came with a 12,000lb Warn Winch mounted behind the bumper. I used it exactly zero times. The front/rear lockers were a whole different story. The lockers were worth their weight in gold, and is why I insisted on the front torsen differential. I know it’s not a true locker, but it’s way better than nothing.

I guess what I mean (sorry for the rambling) is if you truly need one, then hell yea look into it. If you don’t, you’re money ahead on different things like a good set of tire chains.

OP
OP
Brian Montgomery

Brian Montgomery

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re somebody who really takes your truck off the beaten path, a winch is a great investment. I bought my last truck (2012 Power Wagon) partially because it came with a 12,000lb Warn Winch mounted behind the bumper. I used it exactly zero times. The front/rear lockers were a whole different story. The lockers were worth their weight in gold, and is why I insisted on the front torsen differential. I know it’s not a true locker, but it’s way better than nothing.

I guess what I mean (sorry for the rambling) is if you truly need one, then hell yea look into it. If you don’t, you’re money ahead on different things like a good set of tire chains.

I find I hear that more then anything, that every one who has a winch has only used it a handful of times, if that...

Im just someone who gets excited about upgrades that makes their truck prepared for anything but practicality aside I would love to have one but they aren't cheap so that's why im deff curious on what people think

tires chains are something I haven't thought about yet tho and deff am going to grab some since u mentioned that.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a jeep with a winch, since we used it for jeeping... which required the use of a winch at times. A Raptor won't be cruising those type of trails.

With that said, I went out a got the hitch receiver winch 9,000 something. I placed it in a Pelican 1600 case with all the goodies and take it and have it if I ever need it. I have a short and long power cord ready to go. So this way I can share the winch if need be or move it. Just what I did

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I had a jeep with a winch, since we used it for jeeping... which required the use of a winch at times. A Raptor won't be cruising those type of trails.

With that said, I went out a got the hitch receiver winch 9,000 something. I placed it in a Pelican 1600 case with all the goodies and take it and have it if I ever need it. I have a short and long power cord ready to go. So this way I can share the winch if need be or move it. Just what I did

Good call on the receiver mounted winch. I had one for my 2004 Ram (yet never used it...I’m seeing a trend for myself). The trick is putting a receiver hitch on the front of the Raptor. I’ve seen a couple of posts, but I haven’t seen a great solution yet.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on the receiver mounted winch. I had one for my 2004 Ram (yet never used it...I’m seeing a trend for myself). The trick is putting a receiver hitch on the front of the Raptor. I’ve seen a couple of posts, but I haven’t seen a great solution yet.
I agree and figured if I really needed to use a winch... make someone ahead of me go, ha ha

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had winches on all my jeeps. I used it more to help recover others than myself or for work around the house. Regarding the Raptor the thing to remember is what is required to get the truck ready for a winch. FMIC, winch adapter, and then a quality winch. I'm a warn fan and definitely a synthetic robe. Factor 55 makes great additional products. Lastly the additional weight might nose dive the truck slightly requiring new front springs. All these factors have delayed my install, although I do have a FMIC sitting in the garage ready for install. Until then I have my recovery gear (d shackles) and have used these a couple times to pull things.

Best of luck.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about it too. i love the hidden winch look, and already have Cobb intercooler. Heres the rub, in Northern Cal and Southern Oregon, the trails are narrow. I decided my raptor wouldn't be going on those trails, and set up a tacoma with Fox adjustable coil overs, a Warn Zeon platinum winch .. I use it, and the Toy has the pinstripes from narrow trails to prove it.
I have done winches on a couple of jeeps and now 2 Tacomas, if you are going to do it, Warn Zeon Platinum.... the only way to go.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I view a winch as an absolute must - but I beat on my truck and have gotten it stuck plenty of times in the sand. More often than not I'm recovering others, but I've saved myself more times than I can count. I have a 2012, put a winch in it in 2012, and have since burned up that winch. I put a new one in this year and have already used it multiple times. If you want to put down the cash, Warn is the way to go. Get at least a 12,000 pound winch. If you just want to have one in case you need it, save yourself the money and get a Smittybilt. They're cheap, but from my experience they seem to last and do the job. Whatever you get, make sure it has built in wireless and a synthetic rope - you'll want both and there are enough options that you can just buy it like that and not have to add it. Just my two cents.