Wilwood Brakes installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the size but they are 6 piston front and rear.

Just looked on cj site says they are 14.25” which is 362mm.

My R1 kit is 380mm with 8 piston front and 356mm rear with 6 piston.

What year is your raptor? No issues with tie rod clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ss_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked on cj site says they are 14.25” which is 362mm.

My R1 kit is 380mm with 8 piston front and 356mm rear with 6 piston.

What year is your raptor? No issues with tie rod clearance?

I have a 2018 with no issues with the tie rods.

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Great posts!

New to forum and looking for a follow-up on both Wilwood and R1 BBKs.

SS Raptor, Anyone else:
With a few months of run time on both of these now, how are the road results?

Wearing well?
Dust?
Noise?
Rust resistance?
Overall stopping performance improvement over stock?
Overall satisfaction? Worth the investment?

After looking at all the Raptor BBK options, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either Wilwood or R1 for my 2018. Any additional feedback on these two kits would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Wilwood still does not “officially” specify/certify a rear kit for gen 2 (only the front TX6R 140-13865 kit). Any issues with the REAR kit (6R 140-18866 kit) outside the supplied brake lines not mating and a fitting change required on the 2018?

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Anyone know what the stock Ford OEM Front and Rear caliper piston sizes are? Or simply what the OEM brake bias is Front:Rear (%)?

Getting ready to pull trigger on BBK and want to confirm kit does not shift bias forward too much.

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with RackingBrake (RB) on their Gen2 or otherwise?

Looking to pull the trigger on a BBK for my Gen2 and these guys popped up as a last minute option to Wilwood, Alcon, and R1 Concepts.

Looks like they have cool "tech" (at least on paper)
- Concentric rotor vane design
- Center Mount rotor design (claim better airflow/cooling)
- Open hole slotted face vs. slotted or drilled.
- Iron ring inside alum rear rotor hat to give weight reduction but still work with OEM manual parking brake

Also appears they have put the extra cost in to the product to make it more durable
- Integrated Piston Dust seals vs. slap on boots or no dust seals at all on others
- True hard anodized caliper finish option vs. painted, powder coated or std anodized
- High carbon rotors with claim of Brinell hardness of 185-215 (much harder than others = better wear life and damage resistance)
- Pad springs to minimize pad movement and noise

Looks like these guys have been a playing in the BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR game for awhile with many good posts about solid performance on road and with light-med track duty (track days). Similar to R1.

Big question is that cool tech (especially on paper) does not always directly correlate to great implementation.

My thought/hope is that this could be a nice fit between a very purpose built off-road kit like Alcon, and some of the other more road-centric kits like R1 (my opinion only) offering a nice compromise between bigger wheel/rotor options and a more durable design that can hold up to some off-road use.

Spoke to RB briefly and they are pitching a 390mm (6piston) front, and 380mm (4 position) rear kit. Kit seems new... very new :-/

Again it is all in the implementation... you can have a bunch of cool components but that does not make a Gen2 Raptor BBK that will be easy to install and work reliably on a 6,000 pound brick with 20" wheels, big heavy 35" tires, high center of gravity, and a lot more HP now after a tune (slightly different than a BMW 3series on track day).

Anybody with any real experience with RB? Not sure I want to be the Raptor Guinea Pig (at least without some assurance of a positive outcome), but the promise of what it "could deliver" has my attention.

Thanks

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with RackingBrake (RB) on their Gen2 or otherwise?

Looking to pull the trigger on a BBK for my Gen2 and these guys popped up as a last minute option to Wilwood, Alcon, and R1 Concepts.

Looks like they have cool "tech" (at least on paper)
- Concentric rotor vane design
- Center Mount rotor design (claim better airflow/cooling)
- Open hole slotted face vs. slotted or drilled.
- Iron ring inside alum rear rotor hat to give weight reduction but still work with OEM manual parking brake

Also appears they have put the extra cost in to the product to make it more durable
- Integrated Piston Dust seals vs. slap on boots or no dust seals at all on others
- True hard anodized caliper finish option vs. painted, powder coated or std anodized
- High carbon rotors with claim of Brinell hardness of 185-215 (much harder than others = better wear life and damage resistance)
- Pad springs to minimize pad movement and noise

Looks like these guys have been a playing in the BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR game for awhile with many good posts about solid performance on road and with light-med track duty (track days). Similar to R1.

Big question is that cool tech (especially on paper) does not always directly correlate to great implementation.

My thought/hope is that this could be a nice fit between a very purpose built off-road kit like Alcon, and some of the other more road-centric kits like R1 (my opinion only) offering a nice compromise between bigger wheel/rotor options and a more durable design that can hold up to some off-road use.

Spoke to RB briefly and they are pitching a 390mm (6piston) front, and 380mm (4 position) rear kit. Kit seems new... very new :-/

Again it is all in the implementation... you can have a bunch of cool components but that does not make a Gen2 Raptor BBK that will be easy to install and work reliably on a 6,000 pound brick with 20" wheels, big heavy 35" tires, high center of gravity, and a lot more HP now after a tune (slightly different than a BMW 3series on track day).

Anybody with any real experience with RB? Not sure I want to be the Raptor Guinea Pig (at least without some assurance of a positive outcome), but the promise of what it "could deliver" has my attention.

Thanks
I had RB on other cars, but at the time before the center mount for the raptor the price was hard to justify.

Now that they moved back to the center mount it’s worth it.

Tony Ferrugia

Reaction score
Thanks! Appreciate it.

RB seems to offer an option of either 1) the center mount or 2) a more standard and less expensive surface mount (same as everyone else). Still have not seen pricing on each hub/rotor package to see what exactly the "damage" and difference would be..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free