Will weight of a bed rack help back end issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you try 36 psi front & 32 psi rear before you spend your money. IMHO this solves the issue.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny this subject came up. After putting 100k miles on my 12' (with many Baja trips) and 15k miles so far on my 18' the one thing I don't like is how loose the back end is on the 18'. I was also wondering if a rack might help? (my 12' had one) Also was curios if (the loose feel) had anything to do with the reason that in offroad road mode you can't be in 2 wheel on the 18'. Did most of my runs in 2 wheel on my 12'. Overall the 18' suspension is a great improvement. I run both trucks stock, except of racks, lights, radios etc. I too was wondering if the weight had anything to do with but, that really shouldn't. So maybe as some have stated it has something to do with the shock orientation? I guess I will answer one of these questions when I get around to installing a rack on my 18'.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 1/2 ton truck not ride/handle better with a couple hundred lbs in the rear....Will it improve enough for your use age/needs?..only you can determine AFTER running with the new weight...Everybody that has Deavers will suggest (I have Deavers also) them because they improve many things, but as usual not everyone wants to drop another $1200-1600 on their almost brand new truck...I get that.. :)
Run the weight and see...

BTW..That whole "staggered" shocks is BS in my opinion...Every truck running rear shocks inside the frame HAS to run staggered because of their inside the frame gas tank location...My last truck had that set up but I moved the forward canted shock to the rear to match the other shock...I didn't feel any improvement to axle wrap..

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean- it’s a lot lighter than the previous model w/ a lot more torque & has even bigger tires, the rear end dance isn’t surprising.

What is surprising is that ford didn’t put stiffer/beefier leafs from the factory, I too am considering adding deavers & I don’t off-road much at all- I think they’d help out handling on the street as well, plus I think they’d remove some of the pressure off the shocks when hauling heavy payloads reducing/eliminating sag.

The off-roading I do drive occasionally is typically unpaved/gravel dirt roads so the deavers should 100% improve handling there....based off what I’ve read/researched anyhow

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 1/2 ton truck not ride/handle better with a couple hundred lbs in the rear....Will it improve enough for your use age/needs?..only you can determine AFTER running with the new weight...Everybody that has Deavers will suggest (I have Deavers also) them because they improve many things, but as usual not everyone wants to drop another $1200-1600 on their almost brand new truck...I get that.. :)
Run the weight and see...

BTW..That whole "staggered" shocks is BS in my opinion...Every truck running rear shocks inside the frame HAS to run staggered because of their inside the frame gas tank location...My last truck had that set up but I moved the forward canted shock to the rear to match the other shock...I didn't feel any improvement to axle wrap..

As other's said, a bit softer tire, a bit more weight in the back will help. Will it help enough, that is another question.
The pickups I used to drive all the time in the bush had the welded box on the back. Not sure how much those mining boxes weigh, but a lot. They always rode nice. Sometimes we'd run a sheet of 1/2" steel (instead of a box liner). They rode nice too. Pretty slippery to put stuff on, but if you were dropping equipment in there, you didn't need to worry about it much.

The tent and racks at 200 lbs is just a guy riding in the back. Basically nothing for a pickup. But add a full tank of gas, some recovery gear, some water and other gear, suspect it would ride nice. But then you are sacrificing some travel and plushiness.

I have a '19, so not sure if the suspension will act different than the 17/18's. So far, the truck handles different from anything I've ever driven, that's for sure. Crazy what it can do for most things. Some, well, it is a little weird and more sensitive to going too slow. Rarely does speeding up make the problem worse. (so far... pretty limited time offroad).

2BCoAH_3FnhXVOIeiEFD3FEGWdkrFeOeYiII2Hg0inspJ9A4ZRHqGOhz0_LoquhNCtjqU9Y5PZkZ74iPSv11GuvIqpEc9XOWAujfRI89ubigrxMxZD-ur2unxzbbZNiLq5ZWe_cp8cGy2mfLd2WPSNkx5Mr45mmDcGrs4qhKxiGcuH9iBZ11CrW-PiD7kOnaUgt7sc2m8P0SlV3rKCZp-XWTivVYAn6cBJSo-gIlRvecPEI_tHBVlFV1gb3IOU6-8VWqOF6kgKGxJu9iHNvVUv45kILxPuTyhGKjQrs_dtMEps8hecQPpVwoww1NDLR3q8BmNc5IQiZO6XXtNlUnXvU4w5Y1L9OT_yDCmEvRlb4tnCIwNNmxoQRpx_XIygitmxxPT8WfZOGXUKm39YHzgGlRmS9FPEogJTq-IXt6m3_Qdp54i_napLiv0MZC_uNgKzkiflG9964NAszPTLZVdCJ6LYWog0OO3fOv5Te27DFJ4oFJDteo14O0DMjDyFin59EkFVvb_aCkO20rQIiqRUDjmNuOTvTpZUtV_D1d6KJ-edp87eU9Hb4rY5U66a8U1ql22TdD7Sg8Ozb9uveoPdvDH51TGocZhgOb363NsJLjr4idTYMxpKUjZKS3p_P6Un_M2I2bB4cO_cRxAOOt9d7-gJbPQGerNdPuvko5cZ9Bffx4ogpNzVQ=w1130-h847-no

JK2Raptor

Reaction score
I'm in the process of researching what I need to do to solve this same problem. After filling up yesterday, I gunned it leaving the gas station (in 2A) to get in front of traffic entering the freeway and almost went sideways. My '18 is completely stock.

From what I've read so far on the forum, is that the Deaver or Icon springs help a lot. Also, it seems the KHC torque arm really helps keep the rear end planted and gets rid of the wheel hop/axle wrap. Thinking I might start with the torque arm.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...just to add...the rear shocks are working very good with the Deavers...I know some replace them but I see no reason to do so and I've got over 1,000 miles of desert running, most at a fairly good clip and have no complaints with the rear shocks...

Jonesy_PNW

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully I don't get flamed for rezzing an old thread. But I have been experiencing some issues at highway speed with the truck. I just put on the ADD rack with my new tent. To compensate for the rear end sag I swapped the factory block with a 4" from Readylift. Truck sits great and is exactly what I wanted.

However, at highway speed (60mph-80mph) the rear end feels like it shakes. I have tried to do as much research here to see if other owners are experiencing this same thing. We've had a lot of warranties with the BFG KO2 at my store and I just had them rebalanced. The tire shop that did it said that one tire did have a small "hop" to it but nothing crazy. It seemed to help a little but it's annoying enough to where it sucks to drive it at those speeds. I spent 8 hours in the truck yesterday driving from one side of WA to the other and it was present the whole damn time. Again, steering wheel is tight with no wobble but you can feel it right under the seat. Some roads are better than others.

1) Is the spring swap in order now? ICON
2) Do the tires need to be changed to something else? Higher load range? We've taken off KO2s before on vehicles and swapped to like a TOYO and the vibrations disappeared.

It's not a driveline vibration. The rear end just wants to bounce (figured the extra weight would help but no). Any thoughts or suggestions would be super awesome.

7715E37C-CA02-4D72-9C1B-E1244C964A80.jpeg