Will the Raptor R be “off-road use only”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Ford announced the R (at the feb 2021 raptor reveal), they made a statement that the R was off road only. They were questioned, then backtracked that. BUT, they did release the bronco R which is off-road only.
So - what do you think this thing will be? I can’t see Ford making a street legal f150 Raptor with a V8.

Reaction score
My dealer scared me by telling me at one point it would be off road only, but since has said it will be street legal. Im thinking the idea has something to do with emissions and if it is classified as off road it doesnt have to meet cafe standards. Maybe sell it “off road” and then a simple mod makes it street legal?

OP
OP
D

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For more info, the Bronco R is truly a race vehicle.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/11/01/ford-bronco-dr.html

I just can't see Ford making a street legal v8 Raptor especially since they are all in eco-friendly. This off-road only is a way for ford to say they made a v8 raptor, without actually letting it compete with the TRX. It seems like ford undershot the TRX (to compete with it... as if they thought RAM would never build it), but way overshot the vehicle to compete with it. If the Raptor R ever comes out, and is $150k+, then it is not a TRX competitor and RAM wins again.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No way Ford goes through the effort of making a Raptor R that isn't street legal. Besides the fact that it would seriously reduce sales, the R isn't really going to be able to use that extra power off road. You'd effectively be getting a more expensive Raptor that you have to tow to off road site, that costs a lot more, has worse gas mileage, but makes really cool noises.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be street legal. Jim Farley has said only 10% of dealers are charging ADM so at least the other 90% will give allocations at MSRP. I'm glad that Ford has finally knows what is really going on with such a small percentage of the dealer network.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like an absurd question. The Raptor R will be a street legal competitor to the TRX. It'll be a halo vehicle designed to be the last word in street legal trucks, and will be priced accordingly. The Bronco R is in no way related to this and is a stripped down race vehicle.

It will be street legal. Jim Farley has said only 10% of dealers are charging ADM so at least the other 90% will give allocations at MSRP. I'm glad that Ford has finally knows what is really going on with such a small percentage of the dealer network.
I'm pretty sure that notion that only 10% of dealers are charging ADM is bonkers. Almost all dealers are charging ADM and they're doing it on most vehicles, not just hot stuff. I think Ford is focused on dealers that are charging huge amounts, not the ones asking for $3k over MSRP on an Explorer.

WesTexRaptor

Reaction score
Seems like an absurd question. The Raptor R will be a street legal competitor to the TRX. It'll be a halo vehicle designed to be the last word in street legal trucks, and will be priced accordingly. The Bronco R is in no way related to this and is a stripped down race vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that notion that only 10% of dealers are charging ADM is bonkers. Almost all dealers are charging ADM and they're doing it on most vehicles, not just hot stuff. I think Ford is focused on dealers that are charging huge amounts, not the ones asking for $3k over MSRP on an Explorer.
Well the first two dealers I spoke with about my order has zero mark-up on raptors - seems like it was luck since everyone on these forums seems to have trouble