Will Motorcraft 200amp HD alternator work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to replace alternator. Does anyone know if the HD factory alternator will work? Model GL-8656. Can’t seem to get definitive info on it. Would like to stick with factory parts...

Mark

dhanni848

Reaction score
I would like to know the answer to this as well! I just replaced mine yesterday with (sorry to say) an O'Reilly remanufactured one, still had battery light so took it back, tested and said voltage regulator was bad, replaced making them test new one before I left, said was good, install, and still light on. Drove to Advance and tested said everything was great. Load output was 13.5 volts. Battery is charging and holding good too. Losing my mind!

If I need to get a Motorcraft 200 I will, but would love to hear what others have done and if you figured yours out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working great! Seems to have no problems and bolted right up.

dhanni848

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have some other issues going on. No battery light for a while and then back on again, but everything at battery and alternator look good. Only does it when I get up to speed and it runs fine! Always something