Will it be faster than a TRX???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wac45

Reaction score
I can see that, and I was indeed worried about catastrophic failure. It was 2017/2018 so there was plenty to worry about. And, I (at least in my mind) completely wrote dodge off after a bad experience I had with their product back in 2010. Switched to Ford (Multiple F-250s and Raptors) from there. Never even considered a GM. But, never say never, Ram released the Gen 5 platform at a time when I was somewhat concerned about the reliability of the turbo 6, so I gave them a shot. Got a Gen 5 Ram Limited. Even picked up a Redeye Challenger. 140,000 miles later between the two, with zero trips back to the dealer for warranty work, and because I absolutely LOVE my challenger, I had to give the TRX a try. Will it be my last truck, or truck brand, not a chance. I Loved my 2011 Raptor as much as my challenger. If I could go back in time, never would have sold it for the Gen 2. The Gen 3 may win me back in time. But I was not posting here to sh** on Ford. I like to think I am better than that. I feel that there are plenty of people on this forum, and the TRX forum that are curious about what owners of both platforms think. If you'd like, look up my posts on the TRX forum, I've shown nothing but love for the Raptor there.
I found your posts very interesting and they came across to me as being a fair opinion. I am close to pulling the trigger on a TRX order. I had a gen 1 scab and currently have a 2020 scab which I am really happy with except......the exhaust sound. I really miss the gen one sound.

My question for you is how do you think the on road ride compares between the gen 2 and the trx? Although my gen 2 has the live valve shocks so may be different ride quality from your comparison.

I really wish Ford made the R in the scab but that isn't happening. I have even thought about doing the Hennessy v8 conversion so I could have my scab and V8 too.

Last edited:

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found your posts very interesting and they came across to me as being a fair opinion. I am close to pulling the trigger on a TRX order. I had a gen one scab and currently have a gen two scab which I am really happy with except......the exhaust sound. I really miss the gen one sound.

My question for you is how do you think the on road ride compares between the gen two and the trx? Although my gen two has the live valve shocks so may be different ride quality from your comparison.

I really wish Ford made the R in the scab but that isn't happening.
I think you hit the nail on the head...not sure I can give you the answer you're looking for, because mine did not have the Live Valves...My Gen 2 was jittery going over potholes during normal driving (as compared to my Gen 1 Raptor). I compensated by airing down the tires. But because of the light weight, and the suspension, it never really went away. When you read posts where people say that the Raptor is Nimble as compared to the TRX, that's a very accurate description. My initial impression of the TRX was, wow this thing feels heavy. I realized that some of that was because the steering was set to sport mode, which has a heavy feel as compared to the normal setting. The TRX is very much like the Raptor in this next regard, the faster you drive it, the smoother it is. You do feel bumps at slower speeds. But, the TRX is not jittery like my Raptor was. And 5600 miles into the TRX, I am used to the ride and feel of the truck. The two are very different. You will not feel like you're driving a higher HP Raptor. They are not the same. But neither is bad. Just do not expect it to feel like a Raptor is all I'm attempting to convey. And, fuel economy=atrocious. I don't mind it, my Gen 1 was bad too, but be prepared for it. I find myself between 10-12mpg. If you are really heavy footed, expect 8-9mpg. With all that said...I still like the TRX. My Gen 1 has been my favorite truck over the past 35 years of driving. Will I say the same about the TRX, time will tell. It has to prove itself in Reliability like my Gen 1 did.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head...not sure I can give you the answer you're looking for, because mine did not have the Live Valves...My Gen 2 was jittery going over potholes during normal driving (as compared to my Gen 1 Raptor). I compensated by airing down the tires. But because of the light weight, and the suspension, it never really went away. When you read posts where people say that the Raptor is Nimble as compared to the TRX, that's a very accurate description. My initial impression of the TRX was, wow this thing feels heavy. I realized that some of that was because the steering was set to sport mode, which has a heavy feel as compared to the normal setting. The TRX is very much like the Raptor in this next regard, the faster you drive it, the smoother it is. You do feel bumps at slower speeds. But, the TRX is not jittery like my Raptor was. And 5600 miles into the TRX, I am used to the ride and feel of the truck. The two are very different. You will not feel like you're driving a higher HP Raptor. They are not the same. But neither is bad. Just do not expect it to feel like a Raptor is all I'm attempting to convey. And, fuel economy=atrocious. I don't mind it, my Gen 1 was bad too, but be prepared for it. I find myself between 10-12mpg. If you are really heavy footed, expect 8-9mpg. With all that said...I still like the TRX. My Gen 1 has been my favorite truck over the past 35 years of driving. Will I say the same about the TRX, time will tell. It has to prove itself in Reliability like my Gen 1 did.
I think the brother is overall trying to give a fair comparison. And I have picked up some things from his review between the two trucks. Your partial to the Gen 1 it sounds vs the Gen 2. But that’s what you liked better so it is, what it is.

I’ve had a Dodge/Fiat/Ram/Stellantis before(Who’s next to buy them?). I know there strengths and weakness. Time will tell how the truck holds up. The power trains have been good at least. If you want power, they have it! Took a damn EV to dethrone the Demon lol

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the brother is overall trying to give a fair comparison. And I have picked up some things from his review between the two trucks. Your partial to the Gen 1 it sounds vs the Gen 2. But that’s what you liked better so it is, what it is.

I’ve had a Dodge/Fiat/Ram/Stellantis before(Who’s next to buy them?). I know there strengths and weakness. Time will tell how the truck holds up. The power trains have been good at least. If you want power, they have it! Took a damn EV to dethrone the Demon lol
Correct, I was more partial to the Gen 1. I think I’m like many, I love competition, brings the best products to the consumers. My initial feeling is that I would 100% give the Raptor R a spin if it can be attained at a less than Out of this World price point. I think for me, the Gen 1 was like a first girl friend. It was such a departure from what trucks were at the time, I’ll never be able to forget it!!

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have my second gen 2 and have a gen 3 on order. Today I drove by a lexus dealer that had a black TRX and I stopped to see it. They offered to let me drive it so I had to do it, and to be honest I am highly considering canceling my gen 3 and buying it. It was a beast and the interior was awesome. I love raptors but that TRX was alot more exciting than I was expecting.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave don’t do it buddy. Stay strong, sucks about the 37s on the Gen3 however....... Or wait until the R can be ordered.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I currently have my second gen 2 and have a gen 3 on order. Today I drove by a lexus dealer that had a black TRX and I stopped to see it. They offered to let me drive it so I had to do it, and to be honest I am highly considering canceling my gen 3 and buying it. It was a beast and the interior was awesome. I love raptors but that TRX was alot more exciting than I was expecting.
How was the on road feel to it
In comparison to your Gen 2?

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. If the only engine offered in gen 3 is a blown V8, I won't be buying one. Ever. I could afford a single-digit mpg, but I can't tolerate a 250 mile range.
This 100%.

it’s why there is not a TRX in my driveway right now.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The range will be way worse but 36 gallons and a 5 gallon in the bed will last me long enough at 9/10 mpg to make it worth it, if I can afford the truck within reason. Figure 340/350 miles with the extra 5 gallon worse case scenario. I do love my Gen 2 when i don’t plan on visiting a gas station for a couple days on remote hunting trips however.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the on road feel to it
In comparison to your Gen 2?
It was about the same to me. Maybe had a little bit of a heavier feel feel but the ride quality to me seemed very similar. I only drove it about 3-4 miles so not a ton of feedback to give but that was my impression.