Will I get tired of a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Here's the story. I've wanted a Raptor for as long as they've existed so I finally just drove a 2013 the other day and it was everything I had dreamed of and more. I'm pretty sure I had a chub for most of the drive. Now I've owned 20+ vehicles in my 20 years of driving so needless to say I get tired of things and move on quickly. I liked my Power Wagon but it had to go due to electrical gremlins. I have an FJ Cruiser now but I'm really tired of rowing the manual 6 speed and I miss having a truck. I don't do any high speed offroading but do need to be able to battle up to our cabin in 1-2' of snow at times and the wife isn't too keen on me thrashing around in her Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

My price range is $30k or less. Raptors in this range are generally 2011-12 with 120k-150K miles and I'll probably have to hunt pretty hard to find a clean one. Am I stupid for considering this? I feel like the fun factor is worth the risk in a way.......unless I get tired of it. So how fast did the fun wear off for you guys? If ever?

My other option was buy a pretty well equipped CPO 2015 F150 XLT I found for $30K. It's leveled but still a pretty boring vehicle in comparison. (I feel like this is the responsible choice)

Or a 2011-2014 F150 and spending $1500 on a small lift and new tires. I know this won't make it a Raptor but it will acomplish most of where I need to go off road and all in it will still be under $25K and probably have fewer miles than the Raptor. (This will save money up front but I might just keep dumping money trying to continually make it more capable). I've considered doing this with a used Tundra too but the E-locker on the ford is keeping it in front for now.

All opinions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Cabin.jpg
    Cabin.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 56

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i bought a raptor and havent looked back. its everything i wanted and i love it to death.

i was in a similar situation and could really only afford a used one. so i got the newest raptor with the most miles so i could get my wishlist.

its a little more expensive than i had initially planned, gas is pretty high getting only 12-13 mpg in town. parts are a little more expensive when you see the raptor name for some reason.

but i would do it, i love mine and am going to keep it until i legit have to sell it or it burns down.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want a Raptor, buy a Raptor. If you want a Raptor and buy an F-150, you'll spend a bunch of money trying to make it a Raptor, but you'll never be quite happy with it.

Does it get old? Not really. Personally, I'm on my second one and you'll find that most folks on here are have had multiples or are still rocking their first one.

If you can afford it and find the right truck, go for it and don't look back. And if you do decide you get tired of it, these things hold value pretty darn well.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned about 80 vehicles over a ~35 year span of driving. I also had a Power Wagon (2015) and I could not live with the electronic nannies fitted to that truck, totally ruined it. Between that and the Raptor I did a year in a Cayenne turbo.

I like the Raptor a LOT better than the PW even though the PW was new and my Rap has 100k on it. I am almost six months into Raptor ownership and I still really like the truck.

I also considered a regular F150 but when the Raptor became available under $30k, even with way more miles, I went for the specialty truck. Sure an F150 with a lift and tires will do the job but the Raptor is way more of a character, makes driving it fun.

It is a long way from perfect in my book, the interior just sucks IMO. No decent armrest and tons of rattles on rough roads, the solution being speed, takes care of most of the rattles LOL. It is fun though, somewhat unique, durable, and pretty capable. Works great in the snow, hauls my snowmobiles in the mountains without issue. Does everything an F150 does but with more style. I will get it to the desert soon and probably get really hooked....

Go for it. Shop carefully and you will find a nice one. I found mine at a dealer with 90k miles, lots of service and records, fresh tires and alignment, super clean super cab 5.4 for under $28k. Truck averages 16 mpg in my driving just a touch better than the 6.4L Power Wagon. I also like being back in a truck after my suv stint.

OP
OP
C

Captain

Reaction score
If you want a Raptor and buy an F-150, you'll spend a bunch of money trying to make it a Raptor, but you'll never be quite happy with it.

This is what I'm worried about. I'm trying to explain to my wife why they cost $10K+ more than a comparably equipped F150. I can't really put it in words to a non-truck person. You guys probably know what I mean though. The way the Raptor does everything just feels right. That's why I worry about the honeymoon phase wearing off because in my mind I can't really even quantify to myself and my intended usage why it is worth spending that much more.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 Also Never selling it , owned since new , what is nice is you can freshen it up every few years with mods , new lights exhaust , suspension , wheels . I am currently converting my interior panels from silver to black FX4 interior trim. Cheaper than buy a new Raptor

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what I'm worried about. I'm trying to explain to my wife why they cost $10K+ more than a comparably equipped F150. I can't really put it in words to a non-truck person. You guys probably know what I mean though. The way the Raptor does everything just feels right. That's why I worry about the honeymoon phase wearing off because in my mind I can't really even quantify to myself and my intended usage why it is worth spending that much more.

oh shit i explained every feature difference to mine.

she knows all about the extended arms, axles, lockers, travel, electronics, body, shocks.

she even knows how much i hate that an offroad extended travel truck comes with blocks from the factory.

OP
OP
C

Captain

Reaction score
oh shit i explained every feature difference to mine.

she knows all about the extended arms, axles, lockers, travel, electronics, body, shocks.

LOL. I tried that and she had that deer in the headlights look the whole time. I did tell her I wouldn't have to spend any money on a lift. She just rolled her eyes and said she was sure I would find something about it that would need modified asap. She's probably right.

I did find a 2013 with 192K one owner miles on the clock for $25k. If it's still around when I get home I'm going to go check it out. It's been on the lot for about 5 months and started asking $28k. Everyone up here gets scared of high mileage vehicles but at 45k miles a year this thing had to have been a highway cruiser.