Will a Raptor work for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yugga007

Reaction score
Always wanted a Raptor but free company vehicle (used for bus and personal) has pushed me to hold off. New policy with stipend and mileage will recoup my investment in under 3 yrs. Looking at a new ‘19 or ‘20

I’ll put 25-30K/year on it and the only downside is it’ll be parked at the airport a ton and spots can be a tight fit. Plan to keep it close to stock excluding lights and being in Louisiana no crazy off roading.

My question—any big maintenance issues or mechanical popped up as the mileage climbs? I take great care of my vehicles and hope to put 150k on it before I reload.

Thoughts?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I won't lie. Any time I travel, and have to go to the airport and park overnight, I make someone drive me, or I take my daughters car if i have to drive myself.

The Raptor does not do well in tight parking garages / lots. It can physically manage to drive around, but it stresses me out to my wits end that I will squeeze into a tight spot and get door dings.

In regards to 25-30K miles a year. Not an issue at all. Do your services, and this thing should last an easy 200k miles.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could you park in oversize parking? I've done that in the past with no issues other than having to walk a little further.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always wanted a Raptor but free company vehicle (used for bus and personal) has pushed me to hold off. New policy with stipend and mileage will recoup my investment in under 3 yrs. Looking at a new ‘19 or ‘20

I’ll put 25-30K/year on it and the only downside is it’ll be parked at the airport a ton and spots can be a tight fit. Plan to keep it close to stock excluding lights and being in Louisiana no crazy off roading.

My question—any big maintenance issues or mechanical popped up as the mileage climbs? I take great care of my vehicles and hope to put 150k on it before I reload.

Thoughts?

I leave mine at the airport all of the time and don't stress at all. Park in the center of the spot, fold in the mirrors and let the running boards do their job. I'm proud when I get a new kill stripe on mine! haha

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to park my Gen 1 at the airport a lot. I looked for a corner spot or parked towards the back. Every now and then I parked in tight spots and never had issues.

If your company ends up paying for the truck over 3 years, do it. You can always pay a paintless dent removal guy to remove the dents.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I leave mine at the airport all of the time and don't stress at all. Park in the center of the spot, fold in the mirrors and let the running boards do their job. I'm proud when I get a new kill stripe on mine! haha

Yeah, I noticed that the running boards will mash door corners. That do a good job of protecting the middle of the truck.

I would still use the airport taxi tho. Cars stay at home in the garage.

two0seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're parking at the NOLA airport you shouldn't have a problem. I believe they have outside parking next to the garage. I always see trucks out there so I'm guessing there is more room to park.

Of coarse that could change if they ever get the new airport up and running

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bottom line, the Raptor is a big vehicle. Sometimes it does limit where you can park - especially at airports where the spots can be small. It just depends on if it's a sacrifice you want to make. Personally I say go for it, just knowing that sometimes you have to park farther away. Worth it for the fun of a Raptor in my opinion. Nothing about a Raptor is practical or economical - it's fun. And fun, to me, is more important than the other crap.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say go for it. Get an extended warranty and try to park in end spots or If you can’t between two small cars so they can’t ding you. Trucks and some SUVs can clear the running boards but short cars can’t.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say go for it. Get an extended warranty and try to park in end spots or If you can’t between two small cars so they can’t ding you. Trucks and some SUVs can clear the running boards but short cars can’t.
I second that. Keep the company car for your work sled and use the Raptor on weekends. You keep the mileage low, resale (if need be) high and you keep your work perks. Best of both worlds