Will 6 inch drop on hitch bottom out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsimon77

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a weight safe 6" drop hitch. I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be too much for my stock raptor. Just worried about it bottoming out.

I seem to have 12" clearance when measured on level ground with NO weight on it.

Will be towing a boat ~6500 lbs all in.

Wondering if I'll be OK or if I need to get the 4" drop.

IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

DaveInFL

Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful or not but I have the same hitch. I had to have it inverted and use a 1" rise for my triple axle boat trailer. Boat weights 15K#....so obviously could not move boat, but did use truck to move empty trailer around.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many factors to just give you a yes or no answer. What's the tongue weight on the trailer? Also, I usually used a 4" drop on my Tundra for my particular trailer and when I measured the ball height, a 6" drop of on my Raptor would get it to the same starting point. But the softness of the Report rear shocks made the rear end sag more than it did on the Tundra so my trailer tongue jack wheel support was scraping on low dips in the road. So I put the 4" drop on the Raptor and now is all good even though the ball starts out 2" higher unloaded. I think you are just going to have to try with what you have and see if you need to change stuff out once you do a test run.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO... looks too low for my liking.
No idea really what you have happening, but I know how bad my luck is.
All I can think of is crossing railroad tracks at speed and how much "bounce" there would be.
Be safe

Raptor10X

Reaction score
I have the same hitch and learned it was fine until I forgot it was still on and went the the trail (no trailer attached) :)

Reaction score
I've got the true tow system as well and utilize it to tow my TT that is near the same weight with about 900lbs on the tongue and the hitch height is 24.5" leveled. My drawbar is in the rise position with 4.5 holes showing. This being on a leveled 17 Limited.

Is this photo after going through the setup and are you also utilizing the WDH? I would think your setup should be decently similar to mine....

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same hitch and learned it was fine until I forgot it was still on and went the the trail (no trailer attached) :)
Ha... same here. I have a B&W and i left it on when I was at Silver Lake on the dunes. Lucky the sand was soft!

That length will be fine on your truck OP.

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also run a Weight Safe hitch on my truck. I have both a 4" drop and a 6" drop shank. I run the 4" drop on my Raptor as the 6" made me uncomfortable once the truck was loaded down with about 600 pounds of tongue weight.