Will 35" Mud grapplers or Toyo MT's cause vibration at high speeds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wondering if big nobbies on tires cause vibration above 60 mph?

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that SVT took a lot of time when selecting and designing the tires on this truck, I would say or "assume" that any other tire may indeed impact highway speeds. The get you get in mud will be the give you give in highway speed and comfort. Usually always the case. Just my .02

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the tires are brand new and there is a vibration you need to insist they fix it. They should not vibrate. (road noise is another thing) Some shops can't balance big tires correctly on their machines...

Off-road type tires are also more likely to "cup" or wear unevenly which can cause a vibration as the tires wear... A couple of tire guys have told me rebalancing and rotation every 5000 miles will minimize this risk.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. I found larger tires, more aggressive, are harder to balance and keep balanced. I forced a store to put three sets on my FX4 before I found a set that did not vibrate at high speed. Nothing worse than looking in the rear view and watching your bed vibrate all over the place... your taking a chance, but as I stated, it "may" be worth the trade off for some guys. Like Mark stated, there is for sure some extra work involved regardless. Good luck.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Short answer: NO

Longer answer: If properly maintained (mounted using road force balancing machine - small extra cost but well worth it - and frequent rotation and periodic alignment checks) it shouldn't be a problem. Now if we were talking about 37", 39", or larger then it gets even harder especially when using the vehicle on the road a lot.

Regarding Road Force Tire/Wheel balancing - here's all you need to know:

Find a shop that has and uses the Hunter GSP9700 machine

index_gsp9700_1.jpg

You can find a shop near you by using this online locator: http://www.gsp9700.com/

And you can learn more about the value of having your wheels and tires maintained using the GSP9700.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+100000 that is the unit I had mine forced balanced on.... it is the best. One other point, not all tires are made the same... Some balance better than others, while some are near impossible to balance or keep balanced ( I am a vibration nut and for some reason can feel stuff most people can't LOL). I had a friend back in MI who used to own a couple Goodyear stores who once told me, most tires purchased in tire stores are what the industry calls "second run" meaning, the best go to the factories for direct new car placement. Not sure if true, but as I stated above, it took me three sets of tires to find a set that were not donuts! LOL.. at any rate, the guys here are all 100% correct, but in the end it is just like anything else, a crap shoot! But heck you see these on thousands of trucks!

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point Dan, road force balancing is extremely beneficial in minimizing tire concerns and often can find a problem tire before putting it on the vehicle.

FSM

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point Dan, road force balancing is extremely beneficial in minimizing tire concerns and often can find a problem tire before putting it on the vehicle.

FSM

I learn sumpthin evry day on this forum! <G>. I used the handy dandy cypher machine and found one a mile from my house... at a Chevy dealer <G>. Ford has one, but 30 miles away. Question is this: How much 'operator technique' is involved with these machines? We have a serious "Bubba" factor down here in the Ozarks... especially at the Chebby dealer.

Falcon

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is this: How much 'operator technique' is involved with these machines? We have a serious "Bubba" factor down here in the Ozarks... especially at the Chebby dealer.

Falcon

I'm rollin' on the floor Falcon! <GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG> A machine is only as good as the operator, hell, a blender can ****-up if bubba-ized enough.

FSM