GEN 2 Will 2018 factory turbos fit my 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porkburritoe

Reaction score
Just as the title says. Will 2018+ turbos fit my 2017. I had the passenger side turbo go out on me and wanted a slight turbo upgrade as I live at altitude 5200ft asl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Porkburritoe

Reaction score
I live at altitude which is not the best for such a small compressor, ford increased the turbo size slightly for the 2018+ models. I think they knew the 2017's were a little undersized. I've been running a cobb stage 2 tune and with it spiking up to 25psi and having problems with knock codes. I'm pretty sure they were way out of the compressor map and overspeeding the snot out of the little snails. Going to ditch the cobb tune and get a custom goosetune. Was thinking about replacing with 2018 turbos as they have a slightly larger compressor wheel and getting some larger turbo adapters. But I think I might be better off going with the powermax turbos and running a lower psi. More like 18-20psi with much greater efficiency along with larger turbo adapters. What are your thoughts ladies and gents?

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find your application, and see if it matches up with the other year(s). I’m thinking it should match up just find. I’ve been able to use many performance upgrades on my ‘16 Expedition with little to no mods. Obviously, my items were meant for the F-150’s, so you should be good. Can’t hurt to double check.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
At 25 psi, you are significantly overdriving the stock hair driers and ‘18+ MY turbos won’t buy you any more /significant improvements. You’re no doubt introducing a lot more heat and lost efficiency at that level.
if you intend on that power level you should definitely be looking aftermarket

pavendort

Reaction score
I would question why you would want to do all of the work to swap the turbos and then go with something that is likely marginally better at best? I would think if you're ripping everything apart to swap them, get something upgraded and make it worth your time. I see there are lots of options for modified stock turbos that would yield better performance, and likely still not kill the budget.

I don't think I would rip the turbos out (I am lazy) without replacing the manifold and at least a moderate upgrade to the snails...