Why not a come-along?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With that come-a-long all you need is a 12v powered electric "jack handle" (a new tool for sure) that ratchets the come-a-long automatically so you can drink a beer while the come-a-long is pulling the vehicle out of the bog :D

Necessity IS the mother of invention!

PS: I do like the come-a-long idea and I hope you'll bring it with you whenever you go out (especially wiht us!).

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok then, its ordered (the 3 Ton More Power Puller). I'll be sure to post up thoughts impressions and pics when it arrives

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok then, its ordered (the 3 Ton More Power Puller). I'll be sure to post up thoughts impressions and pics when it arrives
Doh wups. Fergot to update this.

It arrived and is exactly as described. There's not really anything new to take a picture of; that pic in my first post is exactly what I have.

This thing is stout! And at 27-ish pounds, I don't find it difficult to work with either (I used it here at my shop, testing it out on a few things). The only bit of advise I might give is, when ordering, you also order the 5 foot choker (for $5). That hook in the back is *right there*, and when you're working the handle, if you've hooked that to, say, a clevis on your truck (or our stock hooks?), you'll have zero room to work and your lever pull throw will be just about cut in half. The 5 foot choker frees ya up to move around.

The only "huh" thing to note about this come along is that there's no "flip" deal where you can single step down to release pressure. If you've used a come along before, that will make sense to ya. If not, don't worry about it... its not at all difficult to figure out and adjust for on the Power Puller. The instructions describe how to do it, and its perfectly fine to do, just not the same that you're used to with a lighter duty come along (probably not on the Power Puller because it wouldn't be a strong enough mechanism).

I'm really glad I got this thing. Its earned itself a permanent home in the bed of my Raptor, and I hope it stays there forever. But if I ever do need it, I have complete confidence its going to get me out of whatever jam I get into.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I am late to the party I will be succinct;

Winches are one of those things that are more cool than necessary. I talked myself into putting my winch project on hold. That said, they are great in a pinch, allow easy setting of a ground anchor (which is a pain any other way from what i have been briefed), and are something you miss that 2% of the time you need them but do not have them.

Rather than a come along I went with a hi-lift. The advantage of the hi lift is that it can do everything that a come along can do plus a bunch of other things... such as lift the truck... or use it as a jaws of life... hell one of my buddies used the parts on one to hold a wheel on a truck to get home when an axle shaft snapped... destroyed a tire and a handle, but it beat the hours wait and the thousand plus dollar tow...

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Interesting frog! Mind starting a new thread with the details on which you bought, why and how to utilize it?

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think they are correct. An electric winch rating loses a considerable amount of pulling power as the cable spools up... I saw one 10,000 lb winch that was only rated at 5,400 lbs with a few wraps of cable on the drum. Plus the versatility of the More Power Puller can't be matched by a regular bumper mounted winch... (excellent find BTW! I might be buying one of those More Power Pullers myself!)

Me too... for all the reasons mentioned. I've always had a "Come-along" in my truck... this is a better deal it looks!

Falcon

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I ordered mine tonight. I need to pull up some fence posts and thought I could use that as an excuse to get one of these. I ordered from Amazon and saved a little bit over the manufacturer's site. I will need to get the choker later.

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one a few months ago based on the recommendation in this thread. Thanks all!

I'd like to know where everyone is keeping theirs in the bed? Do you have a way of securing it in the bed?