Why not a come-along?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
My 2cents. I had a Beautiful Warn Zeon on my Gen1 for 200k miles. I fly Solo most of the time. I USED IT 2X, Sooo that’s $1k a pull :(
I’ve had to self-rescue several times, ALWAYS used my MAXTRAX! Love them, have 2 sets now. Never leave home without them!! I’ve rescued a lot of people in 40yrs of off-roading. Always used a Strap, Knetic Rope and Maxtrax. Bonus with the MaxTrax is you can use them to solve break-over angle problems that I sometimes find myself in with the SCREW.
I LOVE that hand winch. I’ll be picking one up asap. I have a cheap azzz one, that’s a great find thanks for sharing.
(You will loose the Kool Factor of the winch, although most of them are on Pavement Princess Jeep’s with, Manny-bun, Skinny Jean, Flannel Shirt, 3-day growth beard Road Warriors-No Offense) Baaaahaaa

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw this thread myself, never really been thrilled w/the idean if a winch myself and always looking to support American business. Would you choose the steel cable or synthetic? Is the nearly $100 premium (for synthetic) worth it for a device I may only use a handful of times over the years? I'm not a hard-core off roader by any means, but want reliability when I need it.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Just saw this thread myself, never really been thrilled w/the idean if a winch myself and always looking to support American business. Would you choose the steel cable or synthetic? Is the nearly $100 premium (for synthetic) worth it for a device I may only use a handful of times over the years? I'm not a hard-core off roader by any means, but want reliability when I need it.
Always the Synthetic Rope, Sooo much easier to use/manipulate, you don’t cut the shi%<t out of your hands and a lot lighter. I carry so much self/rescue and rescue gear now every pound counts. If you use it only once you’ll be glad you went rope ;)

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
That's a great point Dan. I have also seen guys carry a half dozen concrete forming stakes and drive them into the ground in a line creating a "dead man" when trees are not available. Works quite well. But I agree with the tool analogy, I think you are spot on.
I’m in the desert with very few anchor options except to try and catch a Boulder. I fly mostly Solo so I bought a Pull-Pal. We used them a lot in the Army to self-winch Hummers.
Fantastic option, just HEAVY AS F#><k!
Hence it’s in the Garage if anyone wants to buy it 1/2 price.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I picked up the come-Along and extension handle yesterday from Forest Service Supplys. Looking forward to test driving it.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I carry one in my truck 100% of the time and have used it on several occasions. Mine is of the more pedestrian variety however.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I keep my gear together in a Rubbermaid Action Packer. It keeps it all together and makes it easy to grab and take with me.
I’ll be posting my set-up soon. I carry a lot of shit and redundant systems because I Fly Solo most of the time. I have 30+ years of trial/error trying to find my “Perfect Set-Up” it’s like chasing a Freaking Unicorn ;)

Last edited: