Why is Ford so damn stupid! Oil Pan/Repairs Rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was meaning the seal between the plastic and metal pan is where the problem is. It may be the upper metal portion that is the problem, but Ford won't replace it. Manual states lower portion only.
Maybe you can get this dealer to authorize Ford to replace the upper part if they find a workmanship issue when they take off the lower pan again, get some photographs yourself, if they let you in there. I mean c'mon, what does your dealer have to hide? Tell them, let's get to the bottom of this (no pun intended) and escalate with Ford if need be after that. Not saying your dealer did the damage but maybe the initial dealer scre-wed up years back. This is what I would push for, there are always exceptions to the manual. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will usually bend over backwards to accommodate when they can.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it stated before if the metal pan also has this upper piece, or is that incorporated into the metal design?
Question- why did ford make an immediate switch from plastic back to metal oil pans in mid 2018? It can’t be for cost savings.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it stated before if the metal pan also has this upper piece, or is that incorporated into the metal design?
Question- why did ford make an immediate switch from plastic back to metal oil pans in mid 2018? It can’t be for cost savings.
Yes...And Yes. Metal pan is one piece. Mine has not leaked...thank goodness, and I do not want to risk it fiddling with the drain plug, etc., so I have this new design/style drain plug, that just drains through the tube, so no mess, and no tension on anything with the pan! :)

Hopefully it will help. So far so good, and less messy for sure

DC

1Ss.jpg

1s.jpg

Metal Pan:

1645037096567.png

IndyRap

Reaction score
My oil pan has been replaced 4 times. Transmission repaired twice. Seals around water pump and engine block. Phasers replaced. Warranty runs out in April. Hence, I just ordered a 2022 replacement. I love the truck but dumping my lemon.

Mars911red

Reaction score
Rock88, I thought I saw an email thread recently where someone had a leak from a non-standard drain plug and because it had leaked, Ford voided the warranty. if you have issues, switch back to the stock plug so they can blame it. The plug you have looks rock solid to me.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rock88, I thought I saw an email thread recently where someone had a leak from a non-standard drain plug and because it had leaked, Ford voided the warranty. if you have issues, switch back to the stock plug so they can blame it. The plug you have looks rock solid to me.
I'm pretty sure they would balk at the non-standard oil pan first ...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they would balk at the non-standard oil pan first ...
Isn't the one piece metal pan, the updated one on the newer Gen 2's and 3's? Wouldn't they be proud it's there instead of the reverse thought? Asking, 'cuz I don't know much, lol.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey...Thanks!...Appreciate that. It does seem to be better than the yellow plastic one!

To be honest I mod the crap out of my toys (cars) and have never gotten use out of any of my warranties :) On my Jaguar F-Type R... Like a dumb@ss, I thought a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty sounded pretty good...Got home...Joined a Jag forum...Spent $15,000 on mods, so there goes my warranty. Did the same with the 911 Turbo!

I think if I had to go to the dealer...After they got past the INJEN Cold Air Intake, ECU GooseTuned, COBB TCU Tune, CVF Intercooler, Water/Methanol Injection, etc...If they got me on that drain plug, I would have to give that one to them...Haha

DC

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey...Thanks!...Appreciate that. It does seem to be better than the yellow plastic one!

To be honest I mod the crap out of my toys (cars) and have never gotten use out of any of my warranties :) On my Jaguar F-Type R... Like a dumb@ss, I thought a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty sounded pretty good...Got home...Joined a Jag forum...Spent $15,000 on mods, so there goes my warranty. Did the same with the 911 Turbo!

I think if I had to go to the dealer...After they got past the INJEN Cold Air Intake, ECU GooseTuned, COBB TCU Tune, CVF Intercooler, Water/Methanol Injection, etc...If they got me on that drain plug, I would have to give that one to them...Haha

DC
Have you posted your dyno numbers on here yet, if not, would you, but start your own thread, don't want to hijack Op's thread too much.