Why do I torture myself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did something I shouldn't have on Saturday morning.....even though I'm not ready to pull the trigger....

I went ahead and test drove a Raptor. This one, to be exact:

Certified Used 2011 Ford F-150 For Sale in Fall River MA | F5542A

Minus the "Kids Ink" sticker, of course. I've been wanting to drive one for a while now, so when this one popped up on cargurus.com the other day and I saw that it was 5 minutes from my work, I made it a point to check it out after work last Thursday. They must have just gotten it in, because it was filthy and, unfortunately, full of stickers (mostly on the back window).

I emailed the dealership that night and asked if I could set up a test drive for this past Saturday. Showed up at 10am and was pointed towards one of the salesman who walked me outside, handed me the keys and (after throwing on a temp plate), we were off.

Here are a few photos I managed to take that morning:

How the hell was the red stripe so worn down with only 23k miles on this beast?! The previous owner must have driven with his sweaty ass thumb covering it at all times.
32197746560_720d600013_z.jpg

32535982616_1711e35c3b_z.jpg

32576735395_7f127e875a_z.jpg

32535981786_e805df1d21_z.jpg

32197746280_21ea4f5d00_z.jpg

This color really stands out. I'd never seen it in person and once I did, it may have jumped to the top (or near the top) of my wishlist. What a gorgeous color...with a pearl/metallic look to it, to boot. And the sound...that 6.2L beast of a motor. WOW. Even at idle, just sounds mean, evil, perhaps! What a blast it was to drive. I took it on a main road for about 10 minutes, then on the highway for about 5-6 minutes. This thing is HUGE, but it never felt difficult driving it. Actually felt pretty damn nimble for something so massive. And when merging onto the highway, it wants you to press the gas pedal further and further down, begging to eek every ounce of HP out of that V8.

And man, all the space. That backseat was HUGE. I was originally leaning towards a SCAB, but this may have pushed me a bit towards the SCREW. Not that I need all the room, but the luxury of having it available to me if needed might outweigh anything else. We do have a 15 month old and my wife is already talking about another child, so 2 car seats in the back of a SCREW would be great. That said, I'm coming from a BMW 335i. So even the backseat of a SCAB is much bigger than what I already have, so either way, it's a win-win.

So, like I said when I started this post, I did something I shouldn't have done. I drove something I won't own for at least another year, and it's going to kill me. I want it 10x more than I did before I test drove it.

Now that I've driven a SCREW, I need to drive a SCAB so I can compare and contrast the two so I have a better idea of which model I want when the time comes. There is a SCAB at another dealer nearby that also just popped up. This one, though, has 100k+ miles and is selling for $30k. I've contacted them via email twice now with no response. Might just drive by on Wednesday when I work from home and ask for a test drive.

Here's the SCAB I was talking about (for anyone interested or any potential buyers in the area):

Used 2013 Ford F-150 For Sale | Seekonk MA

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

February 1st Update:

Just got home from a test drive with the SCAB linked in my previous post. Thing was pretty beat up inside, decent shape outside. Drove OK...felt like there was a slight hesitation when going from a stop and getting on the gas pedal.

Definitely felt "smaller" than the SCREW, but not sure if that's a good thing or not. That SCREW had a TON of room and may have swayed me in that direction after initially leaning towards a SCAB. Guess I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Roscoe968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a SCREW in the orange; I've only ever seen SCABS in that color.
That 2011 is mint...I'd jump on that in a heart beat.

OP
OP
ineedaBubble

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never seen a SCREW in the orange; I've only ever seen SCABS in that color.
That 2011 is mint...I'd jump on that in a heart beat.

Trust me, if this was a year from now, I would have. Drove like it was brand new. This thing was babied.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odd thing is 23k miles with a steering wheel looking like that? Seems a bit strange to me but eh

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
>>>>Why do I torture myself?<<<<

raptor owners are known to have masochistic tendencies with a huge sadistic ego. its not just you and there are self help groups available.
steering wheel looks more like 100k miles...

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the steering wheel is pretty easily repaired..

you only live once, and you can't take it with you is my only advice...

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a 0ne handed driver at the top of the wheel. I never even touch that part of the wheel. and then some people hold the wheel and twist their hands around it. also the drivers seat looks a little flat. heavy driver?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have kids and they are growing get a Screw. No ifs or buts about it, trust me. But if you are going o spend 44k get a 2013 or 2014. Will have higher miles probably in the 40s or 50s but that's nothing on these trucks. Now since you drove the Raptor but can not buy it for another year...you probably feel like that guy in the original "American Pie" movie, beating off....lol

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------