Why are the GEN1 Supercharges still expensive?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Skyfrog, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Skyfrog

Skyfrog Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've been dreaming of getting one, (Whipple or Roush), but expected the price to drop with age.
    I figured the demand for superchargers would drop on my 2014 by now.
    Are the parts just that expensive, or is supply and demand still driving the price?
    What is the average installation cost and where might I find a place to have it installed in/near Florida?
    I feel the need for more power!!!

2. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

The compressor alone is about $4000 retail. Add in an intercooler, coolant pump, heat exchanger and some profit- it adds up quick.

3. Cristian

Cristian Member

Has to do with the price of parts I don’t see those kits getting any cheaper. I would wait around the holidays or Black Friday to buy a kit. Wish they came with a supercharger from factory

4. goblues38

goblues38 Full Access Member

thats your problem...there is really no demand for this.......so they are made in relatively small batches...keeping the cost high.

5. Truckzor

Truckzor FRF Addict

After the Gen 1 was already out of production, Whipple retooled the compressor housing when the original tooling got worn out (our kit has a unique front feed intake path). They also went to the trouble of updating the kit when the Gen 3 rotor housing came out. There's still plenty of demand.

OP - reach out to the forum vendors. You should be able to get a kit at a discount from one of them. I buy a lot of parts from the guys at Freedom Motorsports (Chris and Rick).

MTF and Booth9999 like this.
  6. Anthony k

Anthony k Full Access Member

Limited production vehicle.

They will never go down in price

goblues38 likes this.
  7. Skyfrog

Skyfrog Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the information, that sounds like my best option. I've worked with [email protected] to get my brakes.