GEN 2 Why add an aftermarket exhaust on Gen2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an R1 BBK so yes they are two piece rotors and billet calipers.

I too am holding out on the Fox 3.0 as I just purchased a bunch of BD lights and both ADD stealth fighter bumpers. I joke with Rick@freedommotorsports that I should just send him my paycheck! The shocks are next on the list after the max modular and tepui RTT.

After the deaver and rpg collars the stock fox aren’t terrible by any means...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No amount of money spent on exhaust will make a Gen-2 sound like a V8. There is no way to make the V6 sound good. You can make it louder but for most that is not better.

I agree 100%...no power gain and all it does is make the V6 which I don't really care for louder..Why would I spend all that money to make a sound I don't like louder?
Spend the money on rear Deaver springs...

Rob O

Reaction score
For me, it's not about making it louder or trying to make the V6TT sound like a V8 ... That'll never happen . It's about enhancing the soundtrack. I wasn't even going to do an exhaust because nothing really fit the bill, until the AWE FG system dropped. Loved the sound -- because it makes the exhaust note a little more aggressive, a little throatier; it sounds like it should have from the factory .the perfect OEM+ system IMO.

Qbngringo

Reaction score
I was careful to say it made the Raptor sound more like a truck, not live a V8 because it can't. Like Rob O above mentioned its about the more aggressive, throatier sound. Yes it is louder and I could see it not being for everyone, but for those who want a little more drama and don't mind that it won't sound like a V8 i think it does a great job. I didn't buy a raptor so i could blend in and not hear the car.

jerkstore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am scared of the exhaust swap on this truck, but I found a good enough deal on a set of Kooks mid pipes that I pulled the trigger. If I don't like the sound, I will sell them.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the engineers were trying(and exceeded) to subdue the intake/turbo soundtrack for some reason... I, too, was looking to gain some of that noise back by going with a CAI(Roush's enclosed version)... anyway, it's not C.A.R.B. certified so most likely can't get it where I live.

Stock exhaust note is neutered, as well, but it's a little audible when you get on it. I'm eyeing AWE, but undecided on 2FG or 1FG... I want to retain the OEM tips... any particular reason why you chose the 2FG?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

The noise emissions standards don't differentiate the type or source of the noise, just the maximum db. The "noise" includes every sound the truck makes. Drive train whine, tire roar, intake honk, turbo/supercharger whine, exhaust, wind, EVERYTHING. So, in general, the exhaust is made to fit into the cacophony as the vehicle passes the DOT db meter at xx mph. The Raptor makes a ton of non-exhaust noise rolling by on the street.

Birdstuffer

Reaction score
No amount of money spent on exhaust will make a Gen-2 sound like a V8. There is no way to make the V6 sound good. You can make it louder but for most that is not better. Down pipes are typically the bottleneck in turbo exhaust systems. Any performance to be gained in the exhaust will be at that point.
Lol I have a 2012 fj army green and a lead foot 2018 802a raptor screw

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the aftermarket kits sound like shit on the Gen2 Raptors PERIOD...they are a complete waste of money considering what most MFGs are charging for them. the ONLY halfway decent sounding exaust for the TT 3.5 is the AWE Tuning system that has recently been released but still at +$1000 and no dyno numbers I am still very hesitant to want spend that kinda money for a slightly better sound....JMO

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the aftermarket kits sound like shit on the Gen2 Raptors PERIOD...they are a complete waste of money considering what most MFGs are charging for them. the ONLY halfway decent sounding exaust for the TT 3.5 is the AWE Tuning system that has recently been released but still at +$1000 and no dyno numbers I am still very hesitant to want spend that kinda money for a slightly better sound....JMO

Can't say I disagree with most of this. I'm usually not cheap with my toys, but I'm having a hard time getting a spendy exhaust that doesn't sound great, or add to the power. I just pulled the trigger on an H-pipe kit that replaces the muffler. Probably not going to love the sound, but at least there will be sound. I feel like the stock exhaust is whisper quiet. I have the radio that doesn't make the fake sound. Still can't believe they did that rather than engineer something that sounded better.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Have you heard the FlowMaster FlowFX muffler replacement? My truck does not sound like a V8, but it sounds way better than stock under heavy acceleration with no rasp, no drone and it is very quiet at normal driving speeds. The muffler and over the axle piping is less than $500 shipped to your door and probably takes about an hour to install. Most shops will charge approximately $100 to install if you do not want to do it yourself.

I did not do it for performance gains, but simply for a better sound.

Check the videos from @Toadster on this forum if you want to hear it for yourself. Mine sounds the same as what I heard in his videos... :cool:

Here are some other videos:

Last edited: