Why 8,200 lbs tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
What are the travel numbers for the gladiator and what is its payload/towing numbers?

I wouldn’t say nobody buys this truck to bomb down dirt roads. I own a gen 1 and other than playing around in town it is an off-road toy. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought an F150 and went from there, but this truck gave me enough capability to decide to go further.

Just out of curiosity, would you sacrifice travel and ride for more capacity? Was it the looks that drew you in?

I don’t mean anything of this as an attack toward you either.

I’ll go out on a limb and say 99% of Raptor owner don’t own them to be a $70k toy.

I had a valid reason for wanting this truck. I own a camp in the Maine North Woods. It’s thousands of miles of dirt logging roads and it takes about 2.5 hours to get to camp after hitting dirt. This truck is AMAZING on those roads…well, sort of. In a real world application, I have 4 guys and all of our gear. When loaded, this thing squats like a toddlers wet diaper.

This is the best looking truck on the road. It hauls ***. It handles like a sports car. There are many things to love about this truck. I just can’t get over the fact that you can’t USE it as a truck. I’ll be for sale soon.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll go out on a limb and say 99% of Raptor owner don’t own them to be a $70k toy.

I had a valid reason for wanting this truck. I own a camp in the Maine North Woods. It’s thousands of miles of dirt logging roads and it takes about 2.5 hours to get to camp after hitting dirt. This truck is AMAZING on those roads…well, sort of. In a real world application, I have 4 guys and all of our gear. When loaded, this thing squats like a toddlers wet diaper.

This is the best looking truck on the road. It hauls ***. It handles like a sports car. There are many things to love about this truck. I just can’t get over the fact that you can’t USE it as a truck. I’ll be for sale soon.
So you want the suspension to be compliant enough to bomb down logging roads, but firm enough to carry a heavy payload...

You aren’t seeing the conflict in those 2 attributes?

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
So you want the suspension to be compliant enough to bomb down logging roads, but firm enough to carry a heavy payload...

You aren’t seeing the conflict in those 2 attributes?

There is a happy medium somewhere. Again, I feel this truck sacrifices too much to accomplish the ride quality. Great if you or anyone else doesn’t! Glad you love the truck but I also find this forum refuses to even talk about that balance…it’s strange.

Personally, I feel that these guys that share dumb memes instead of having anything intelligent to add may have just bought too far into the hype and can’t believe that anyone would dare not praise the “SUPERTRUCK”. I’ve joined a forum for every vehicle, 4 wheeler, motorcycle, I’ve owner for the last 20 years. I’ve never seen a community that acts the way this one does. It’s wildly entertaining to poke the bee hive from time to time.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I haven’t been to this forum in almost a year and it’s great to see nothing has changed. Meat sticks talking about how “people just don’t understand the SUPERTRUCK” anytime it fails at being an actual truck.

Ive owned mine for about 2 years now and it will be sold as soon as I’m not upside down on it. The payload and towing capacity is a real problem that makes this full sized super crew “truck” useless. It fails at more things than it’s good at.

Here come all the nauseating replies …”shoulda bought a F250 blahhhhh.” My personal favorite is the ever so pompous “you bought a specialized vehicle, you don’t understand the purpose” (I just puked on my shoe typing that.) These dbags completely ignore the fact that their wife’s Sudan sitting next to the 20’x7.5’ crew cab has a higher payload. Put the family and a cooler in the truck to go to the beach and you have to leave the dog at the house. This thing is a pavement princess that can’t be used as an actual truck. Want to take it off-road? Better remove the spare tire so you can afford the weight of your gear. That’s practical!! Open the flood gates…:upyours:

My only question is what kind of negative equity did you roll in to that thing that two years after the fact you are upside down in your truck when we have the highest used trucks prices we’ll probably ever see in our lifetime.

koyojo

Reaction score
Hear me out. Adjustable air springs…. Same as my dirt scooter and mountain bike. (Not quite ready for a truck duty cycle, but we got to be getting close)

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hear me out. Adjustable air springs…. Same as my dirt scooter and mountain bike. (Not quite ready for a truck duty cycle, but we got to be getting close)
Ok so this is a segway into what is suppose to be the glorious buy one truck and it will do everything aka the Cybertruck and the EV Hummer right??? Um ok…….

So static Suspension is just that(steel spring and gas shocks). But you can and do have adjustability with shocks today. Air suspension can give you a jacked up in the air super firm ride and allow you to haul and tow a lot. Turn it down to mushy for off road performance.

So there you have it right? While you can go one way or another with the push of a button, you cannot have either extreme of the air suspension all the time and in real time. It’s one way or another.

Now depending on how stout that air compressor is and how large the reserve air tank is. It may take time to switch between wider ranging modes as well. Will it be magic? Gonna have to show me to make me a believer.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think most of us just want to able to tow without the dreaded sag and be safe doing so. I've done airbags on every HD truck i've owned to keep the truck level when towing. I don't get near the limit of the truck's GVWR but it certainly tows better. I for one am thinking a bag could fit inside the spring or even easier would be to swap out to a tad heavier spring rate. I'll pull one of mine this fall to measure it. I swap springs out on all my offroad vehicles and track cars. I'm talking just going up 50-75 lbs, nothing major.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s a thread on here somewhere about using airbags. It works for many and some say it limited articulation some. So it comes down to what is most important for you with your needs. I remember someone using Daystar cradles with the bags to much success.