Why 8,200 lbs tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rapturd

Reaction score
I saw that guy before, didn't know he had account on here. My family and I are basically living full time the same way out of that same 23ft airstream he has. I was going to get those rear shock setups but decided to just build full suspension from svc (still waiting). He used to tow it with a gen 1 scab too if I recall. Bottom line, yes raptor can tow within reason and looks good doing it. I get people talking to me about the setup regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_7686.jpg
    IMG_7686.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 42

Skawty2Hawty

Reaction score
Ok,I realize I'm the newbie, and I haven't read every single reply,but from what I saw,you guys are all dancing around one of the major factors to the reason for why towing sucks. These tires are designed for off-road use, so they have a lot of flex in the sidewalls. Now this isn't going to fix it completely, but if you're gonna haul trailer for some distance, try bolting on a wheel/tire combo from a trim level that has a higher tow rating. I'm willing to bet that fixes a fair amount of *** dragging. If someone has already tried it, please tell me.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok,I realize I'm the newbie, and I haven't read every single reply,but from what I saw,you guys are all dancing around one of the major factors to the reason for why towing sucks. These tires are designed for off-road use, so they have a lot of flex in the sidewalls. Now this isn't going to fix it completely, but if you're gonna haul trailer for some distance, try bolting on a wheel/tire combo from a trim level that has a higher tow rating. I'm willing to bet that fixes a fair amount of *** dragging. If someone has already tried it, please tell me.
Problem is, NOTHING will legally increase the tow or payload ratings. The number on the yellow sticker is the number- for all of time.

If you choose to exceed the rated towing or payload capacity of your truck- all bets are off. You can install semi-tires and dump truck leaf springs and pull 30,000 lbs around all day if you want, but you cannot do it legally.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put a little over 500lb of gravel in mine and the back dropped 2.5". I didn't notice any change in the sidewall flex.

Skawty2Hawty

Reaction score
I never said anything about increasing the tow or payload rating, I said a better tire/wheel combo would help level it out, and ride better while towing. I'm not talking about 500lbs of anything, if your truck can't handle that, there is something seriously wrong. For example, replacing the 315/70R17s which carry a 113 load rating(just under 3,000lbs per tire) try a 295/65R20 which has a 129 load rating (just over 4,000/tire), a whole lot less squat n' sway under load.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nearly everyone swaps to an E rated AT tire after the stockers wear out. My truck has towed everything I've pulled with it just fine. No squatting, no sway or bouncing. No longer on stock tires either.