Why 700hp instead of 705hp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford for sure bench marked the TRX against the Raptor R. My bet is that Ford knows they have a faster, more capable truck (though that is TBD).

Now, if they made the engine 750 or even 705 HP, what is Ram going to do? One up them on the HP war. Which is *extremely* common, happens almost every year on every competing model (whether it be sports cars or trucks). And that's all the public will see - one manufacturer one upping another on HP.

Instead, they want to make Ram look bad. Their truck has more HP yet is slower. So if the Redeye gets thrown in the TRX, the public will think "wow, they need 100+hps to compete with the R" instead of merely thinking it's manufacturers trying to one up each other.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope it was stopped because it will be faster than TRX AND Reliable. I feel bad for all the parts attached to this motor downstream, axles, ring and pinion, driveshafts etc. They are gonna get abused. Stopping at 700 will make Ram at least not right away go ok throw a smaller pulley on there and re tune the thing.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're overthinking it. They got as much as they could safely. And they might have pushed it a bit to get to the magic 7xx number. If they could have gone 800, they would have.
From what the Lead Engineer said, that was the case. It had to be reliable as well as powerful, and they picked what provided both.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could interpret it as a sign that Ford doesn't want to push Ram to go any further in the HP war. If Ford had gone with 720 HP, for example, Ram would be tempted to go bigger. Essentially matching the TRX, letting them have a slight 2 HP edge is pretty much calling for a truce, and both Ford and Ram can walk away without customers claiming they lost.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could interpret it as a sign that Ford doesn't want to push Ram to go any further in the HP war. If Ford had gone with 720 HP, for example, Ram would be tempted to go bigger. Essentially matching the TRX, letting them have a slight 2 HP edge is pretty much calling for a truce, and both Ford and Ram can walk away without customers claiming they lost.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Especially with ram having the Redeye motor ready to go, Ford doesn't want to create an unnecessary HP war when the Raptor R is able to appease their customer base's need for a V8 option.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The R is quite a bit lighter, maybe 500-600 lbs. the R will be faster and more capable. Most screaming idiots will be upset about the 2 HP And not being “faster” but it will be quite a margin at that weight difference.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The R is quite a bit lighter, maybe 500-600 lbs. the R will be faster and more capable. Most screaming idiots will be upset about the 2 HP And not being “faster” but it will be quite a margin at that weight difference.
Weight difference is 400 lbs but the 37s would compensate for the weight difference. They'll be very close overall but Ford would've advertised scary quick not scary fast if it was going to beat the TRX in straight line performance.

Raptor will be better offroad though likely. If they can keep the Gen3's offroad performance with the extra power, it'll be a really solid package.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also...and let me use the 03/04 Cobra as an example. We are now back into a V8 with a supercharger. 5HP is NOTHING. The 03/04 Terminator was 390hp/390tq and with VERY LITTLE MONEY 500 at the wheel. Full exhaust, pully, tune crazy different vehicle. This was an 8psi supercharger that could push 17psi before you hit crazy heat soak. The aftermarket community is gonna go nuts on this Truck. Then weight savings is pretty significant. It being 5 less is hilarious in my book. It is going to end up being a troll move for sure.