Whose truck is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what speakers they used but could of used much better amps then those alpine. I did same thing to my truck all in $10K plus phoenix unit

did not do the whole floor but doors and back is a must for sound quality of speakers and yes cuts down on road noise floor is little over kill

I did rear 12 shallow mounts perfer to keep space under the rear seat vs speakers and the JL 12 shallows still thump was very surprised how great they sound with such little space for a box enclosure

so much has changed since back in they day when we used to build "systems"

with DSP amp technology I tuned the whole set up on my lab top and can change to 4 tunes with turn of the bass knob which also doubles as tune knob and can adjust the level of mids and highs with the knob also

could easy spend 10hrs plus on lab top tuning every speaker, the driver side is time delayed so the sound hits drivers seat same time from left and right feels like you sitting in the middle of the truck and yes it sounds very different then when set to zero delay.

each amps has its own tune but the subs which are on the rear amp has a pass through to the front amp so subs are tuned on front amp rear speakers are tuned direct connection to rear amp

i turned the center speaker off as i think it sounds better without it

JL front and subs.PNG

JL front and subs set up.PNG

JL rear and subs set up.PNG

JL rear and subs.PNG

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just let my buddy install one of these screens in my truck for show. All I can say it is a piece of S**T. I am going back to him tomorrow to have my factory unit reinstalled. Not for me. I am constantly on the phone in my truck and this thing is crap. No one cane hear s**t and has a lot of background noise with my entire cab insulated. Nav works when it wants, radio reception is crap, and the sound quality over the B&O is crap as well. I don't know why anyone would want this shit. Sure it has a massive screen but I am not in my truck to watch TV. My first opinion is this is unit is crap.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just let my buddy install one of these screens in my truck for show. All I can say it is a piece of S**T. I am going back to him tomorrow to have my factory unit reinstalled. Not for me. I am constantly on the phone in my truck and this thing is crap. No one cane hear s**t and has a lot of background noise with my entire cab insulated. Nav works when it wants, radio reception is crap, and the sound quality over the B&O is crap as well. I don't know why anyone would want this shit. Sure it has a massive screen but I am not in my truck to watch TV. My first opinion is this is unit is crap.

sooo... is that a firm initial assessment? I’m sensing a little wavering in your opinion ;-)

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sooo... is that a firm initial assessment? I’m sensing a little wavering in your opinion ;-)

So strong against it, I have a new head unit arriving today and will be installed tomorrow. The large tablet screen would be nice that doesn't have the 802a package but a down grade if you do, IMO. Or is a good option for someone that is wanting to have a big sound system. I don't need any of that since I am normally on conference calls when driving. I am kind of old school anyway, I like the knobs and buttons, and I still use AM radio. The tablet head unit does work with AM I am being told.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are two basic options with those big screens, the linkwell (which is the one in the original post I believe) and phoenix automotive. The linkswell is more expense and not as good by most opinion. If I remember correctly, the linkswell for the PO truck was heavily modify and is practically a one of a kind.

Phoenix is not without it's issues Biggest problem is lack of support, which means if something's not working you'll have to figure it out yourself or live with it. But the above assessment is pretty right. If you're on the phone all the time, it's not a good option. It's great if you also put in WiFi and fully use the screen for music playback and such (which is what I do). You essentially have a pass through that allows you to retain all the SYNC functions...when it's working properly.

It certainly is not for everyone. If you don't want to deal with issues and won't take advantage of the bigger screen, it's a bad idea.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are correct. My Raptor has the tech package, 802A. I noticed that a lot of the features both with the radio and climate control, either didn't work with the unit or didn't function like they did with the stock unit. Was very frustrating. I am happy to have my factory until back in the truck today. I do think if you were someone that has a heavily modified sound system it would be great or if you had the basic tech package it would be an upgrade. For those of us that spent the extra on the tech package it is a downgrade IMO. It could also be that I am getting older and not as into the audio scene like I was when I was in my late teens and early 20's, lol.