Whoops! paint problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
So, I was washing the truck the other day and was using the pressure washer maybe a little too close to blow off some bug guts. Of course it was getting late and I was rushing it, which I never plan to do again. Anyway, saw a small black smudge near the bottom piece beneath the paasenger headlight, tried blowing it away, only to see it expand and me going "oh shit!" immediately once I realized it was NOT bug guts. That's when I noticed the white chip as well. I was checking the forum to see if there were any good repairs to this, found a few guys mention Dr. Colorchip. Maybe for the white chip, but I'm assuming I'm a bit SOL for the obviously larger and deeper chip. Anybody have any ideas for a DIY fix? Or is this more of a dealership/bodyshop project?

IMG_20201013_183922_1.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would have it professionally repaired for sure. Since the entire layer of paint peeled away, it’s going to require some serious prep work, sanding, and blending. Urethane/composite is also inherently difficult to get paint to adhere to, which is why it’s typically electrostatically applied at the factory.

OP
OP
KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. I know I should do what FTO suggested, but I really like what Corona thinks, lol. I'll do some more research, get a quote for having it professionally taken care of and go from there.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Haha the most opposite ends of the spectrum. FTO like get it proper fixed and Rona being like a little rust never hurt nobody it’s all good ha
:grd:

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can try to get it repaired under warranty, if it is something to do with the bonding process or the primer, more than likely will continue to peel. This, assuming your pressure washer wasn’t set too high.