Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Whoops! paint problem...

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by KingKoopa17, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM.

1. KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17 Member

So, I was washing the truck the other day and was using the pressure washer maybe a little too close to blow off some bug guts. Of course it was getting late and I was rushing it, which I never plan to do again. Anyway, saw a small black smudge near the bottom piece beneath the paasenger headlight, tried blowing it away, only to see it expand and me going "oh shit!" immediately once I realized it was NOT bug guts. That's when I noticed the white chip as well. I was checking the forum to see if there were any good repairs to this, found a few guys mention Dr. Colorchip. Maybe for the white chip, but I'm assuming I'm a bit SOL for the obviously larger and deeper chip. Anybody have any ideas for a DIY fix? Or is this more of a dealership/bodyshop project?

IMG_20201013_183922_1.jpg

2. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

I would have it professionally repaired for sure. Since the entire layer of paint peeled away, it’s going to require some serious prep work, sanding, and blending. Urethane/composite is also inherently difficult to get paint to adhere to, which is why it’s typically electrostatically applied at the factory.

Smunczen likes this.
  3. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Just get some touch up paint, that looks like a small area. In ten years you won't care about it, lol.

500mag and Smunczen like this.
  4. KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17 Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I know I should do what FTO suggested, but I really like what Corona thinks, lol. I'll do some more research, get a quote for having it professionally taken care of and go from there.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  5. Frogger22

Frogger22 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Haha the most opposite ends of the spectrum. FTO like get it proper fixed and Rona being like a little rust never hurt nobody it’s all good ha
    :grd:

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  6. PorterW1111

PorterW1111 Full Access Member

+1 for touch up paint. Otherwise you might as well plan for every year getting the front of the truck repainted.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

8. Rollofire

Rollofire Full Access Member

+2 for touch up paint, its a OFFROAD truck for crying out loud. Now if it was my Corvette it would be another story...

KingKoopa17 likes this.
  9. Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S Full Access Member

Maybe you can try to get it repaired under warranty, if it is something to do with the bonding process or the primer, more than likely will continue to peel. This, assuming your pressure washer wasn’t set too high.

10. PorterW1111

PorterW1111 Full Access Member

Yeah would def just go ahead and total the vette out. You know those chevys, chipped paint one day blown motor the next hahaha

CoronaRaptor and Frogger22 like this.