Who would have thought - boot polish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are very few things I don't like about my truck; the extremely fragile interior is top of the list. The unreasonably thin dye and/or paint Ford used means almost every brush against the plastic results in a scuff of the opposite color.

In the 5 years I've had my truck, I've tried all kinds of things trying to fix the black plastic scuffs - the instant change to white drives me nuts. I have yet to find an interior paint that matches, so strangely had the most luck with Forever Black. A few times I got pretty good results (not perfect, but definitely tolerable), but for the most part it has been a waste of time.

I finally ended up getting a scuff on my driver's door - rather noticeable and frustrating to me. As a result, I again researched solutions to this irritating problem and came across a recommendation (on the f150 forums) to use [black] boot polish. The idea made a lot of sense to me, so I tried it out.

Due to the bright Texas sun, I didn't get good pictures, but it did work surprisingly well on the two spots I tried. On the small spot on the glove box I literally couldn't tell it had been scuffed - the larger spot on the door was a tad more noticeable, if I really focused in on it. Time will tell how it will hold up(being polish), but even if I have to reapply it from time to time it will be less of a time sink than other options - with better results.

Thought I might share in case someone else would benefit from it.

daytona1783

Reaction score
I just transitioned from a 2014 F-150 Platinum to my 2020 802A. I would agree, the interior is way more fragile then the 2014 Platinum interior, even with the exposed brushed aluminum trim. Another thing that really gets me is how fragile the exterior door handles feel. My four year old about ripped it off yesterday....it just feels like Ford went cheap all over compared to the previous generation.

I'll debate on getting another Lexus or Acura while looking forward to the pics.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just transitioned from a 2014 F-150 Platinum to my 2020 802A. I would agree, the interior is way more fragile than the 2014 Platinum interior, even with the exposed brushed aluminum trim. Another thing that really gets me is how fragile the exterior door handles feel. My four year old about ripped it off yesterday....it just feels like Ford went cheap all over compared to the previous generation.
My experience is the exact opposite, especially the door handles. They’re meant to open the door, not be hung on by a child. My ‘19 interior has held up perfectly over the 4 years I’ve owned it, it’s called taking care of it. You bought a used truck, damage isn’t the truck’s fault.
I'll debate on getting another Lexus or Acura while looking forward to the pics.
Two made up brands to sell overpriced Honda/Toyota junk to people who don’t know any better.

Last edited:

daytona1783

Reaction score
My experience is the exact opposite, especially the door handles. They’re meant to open the door, not be hung on by a child. My ‘19 interior has held up perfectly over the 4 years I’ve owned it, it’s called taking care of it. You bought a used truck, damage isn’t the truck’s fault.

Two made up brands to sell overpriced Honda/Toyota junk to people who don’t know any better.

Eh, I tend to disagree. My trucks and cars are meticulously maintained and the Raptor I bought looks like it was brand new. It is treated like most people would treat a Ferrari with an "obsessed garage" mentality. I've owned 4 Lexus vehicles. They are awesome....reliable, fun, and well built. Maybe you had a different experience, but the Toyota (Lexus) vehicles I have owned were built like tanks. 5.0 V8s, unstoppable 3.5Ls, luxurious interiors, and awesome styling certainly don't fall into the category of junk to me. Junk? Try a 2020+ Ford Explorer...where I work, we have 300 of them and they're a nightmare.

Anyway, back to the thread...

20leadfoot

Reaction score
Eh, I tend to disagree. My trucks and cars are meticulously maintained and the Raptor I bought looks like it was brand new. It is treated like most people would treat a Ferrari with an "obsessed garage" mentality. I've owned 4 Lexus vehicles. They are awesome....reliable, fun, and well built. Maybe you had a different experience, but the Toyota (Lexus) vehicles I have owned were built like tanks. 5.0 V8s, unstoppable 3.5Ls, luxurious interiors, and awesome styling certainly don't fall into the category of junk to me. Junk? Try a 2020+ Ford Explorer...where I work, we have 300 of them and they're a nightmare.

Thank you, before my Raptor I have owned 4 Toyotas, 2 Tundra's and 2 Tacoma's and 1 F150 , which was the biggest POS vehicle I have ever owned. I don't have enough time and space to tell you all the problems I had with that truck. My Raptor has been very reliable with zero issues but so were the 4 Toyotas I owned. Starter went out one 1 of the Tacoma's but other than that they were reliable as hell. I really appreciate FordTechOnes knowledge of Fords, but it seems he really is clueless and close minded as to how reliable Toyotas are.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Eh, I tend to disagree. My trucks and cars are meticulously maintained and the Raptor I bought looks like it was brand new. It is treated like most people would treat a Ferrari with an "obsessed garage" mentality.
You just said the interior was damaged. Now it somehow “looks brand new”?
I've owned 4 Lexus vehicles. They are awesome....reliable, fun, and well built.
They’re overpriced Toyota junk, boring appliances at best. You’re overpaying for a made up badge on a Toyota with more fake wood. Wind and road noise are horrible, infotainment/electronics are worst in class. Powertrains date back to 2005. The fact that they’re still using a touchpad to control the low res center screen is pathetic. Apparently they think the cheap plastic analog clock in the dash will fool people into believing it’s a Bentley.
Maybe you had a different experience, but the Toyota (Lexus) vehicles I have owned were built like tanks. 5.0 V8s, unstoppable 3.5Ls, luxurious interiors, and awesome styling certainly don't fall into the category of junk to me. Junk? Try a 2020+ Ford Explorer...where I work, we have 300 of them and they're a nightmare.

It’s called working decades in the automotive industry and seeing countless people like you who think that their badge engineered TOyOdEr is better than anything else and somehow is immune to repairs. It’s a comical argument at best. I also didn’t know fake wood and pleather were considered “luxurious” lol.

Do you also have 300 Highlanders to make an objective comparison? Of course you don’t, because they won’t last a day of commercial fleet service work without failures. Same reason tundra and Titan aren’t used in commercial applications. Cheaply built rust bucket trash.

I’m always amazed that people who think their one off biased and prejudiced experience represents the entire population. And I’m even more amazed that anyone could be brainwashed enough to buy a rebadged TOyOdEr “Lexus” and claim it’s even superior to anything.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you, before my Raptor I have owned 4 Toyotas, 2 Tundra's and 2 Tacoma's and 1 F150 , which was the biggest POS vehicle I have ever owned.
Cool story. I’ve been working on Toyota POS products for decades, but apparently someone who knows nothing about automotive engineering or repair is going to tell us his “experience” with the best selling vehicle in North America and it’s a “POS”. Why would anyone take your biased claims seriously?

I don't have enough time and space to tell you all the problems I had with that truck. My Raptor has been very reliable with zero issues but so were the 4 Toyotas I owned. Starter went out one 1 of the Tacoma's but other than that they were reliable as hell. I really appreciate FordTechOnes knowledge of Fords, but it seems he really is clueless and close minded as to how reliable Toyotas are.
You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about so it would be more of a waste of time than the worthless post you just made. I don’t own a Raptor from making money fixing just Fords or American vehicles throughout my career. Nothing more satisfying than telling some cocky TOyOdEr owner that the noise complaint in their Mexican built Japanese pickup isn’t a loose stabilizer bar link, it’s a rotted out frame. They’re always in denial just like you. But at the end of the day I charge them the diagnosis and their taco goes to the scrap yard with the rest of them.

Last edited:

20leadfoot

Reaction score
Cool story. I’ve been working on Toyota POS products for decades, but apparently someone who knows nothing about automotive engineering or repair is going to tell us his “experience” with the best selling vehicle in North America and it’s a “POS”. Why would anyone take your biased claims seriously?

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about so it would be more of a waste of time than the worthless post you just made. I don’t own a Raptor from making money fixing just Fords or American vehicles throughout my career. Nothing more satisfying than telling some cocky TOyOdEr owner that the noise complaint in their Mexican built Japanese pickup isn’t a loose stabilizer bar link, it’s a rotted out frame. They’re always in denial just like you. But at the end of the day I charge them the diagnosis and their taco goes to the scrap yard with the rest of them.
Ha Ha , whatever. You don't even know me so to make an assumption that I don't know anything about automotive engineering or repair is just an ignorant statement. Anyway, not going to waste my time debating on the internet with someone I don't even know whether Toyotas are reliable or not. The ones I have owned were very reliable, YMMV. Have a great day....